Go List 201325 PLACES TO GO IN 2013
Why Go Now Despite its isolation, Easter Island is now easier than ever to visit. With the recent opening of several luxury resorts and new flight routes from Lima, Peru, and Santiago, Chile, there's never been a better time to hike up the island's volcanoes, dive in the crystal-clear waters, spelunk through caves that open out to breathtaking ocean views, and soak up rays on idyllic beaches. Plus, of course, marvel at the iconic and enigmatic moais—monolithic stone statues that continue to keep watch over this far-flung destination. –by Luke Epplin
Where to StayThe Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa—a Fodor's 100 Hotel Award winner—pays homage to its epic surrounding with 148 rooms made of volcanic rock and natural noble wood, all of which have sweeping views. Guests can relax in the resort's pool, Finnish-style sauna, and holistic spa. For those who wish to stay in the town of Hanga Roa, book at Hotel Taura'a, an intimate family-run establishment renowned for its delicious breakfasts and friendly service.
Insider TipTime your visit to coincide with Tapati Rapa Nui, a colorful festival of native music and dance that takes place during the first two week of February.
Word of Mouth"[Easter Island] has always been another one of my dream geo-geek places, the so-isolated island with the wonderful mythic statues," writes Fodorite Amy. "But I think really it was the winds off the ocean that I loved the most, and the intense pure blue of the sky, and the stunning views from the volcanic caldera."
When to Go Travel December through March for warm, dry weather.
Plan Your Trip Start planning using Fodor's Easter Island Travel Guide.
You May Also Like
- Up to 10% Off -- Europe Car Rentals through SummerEnterprise
- $499 & up -- Canary Islands & Morocco 9-Nt. Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $549 -- 7-Night Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$100 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $598 -- 7-Night Pacific Coastal Cruise w/$75 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $909 & up -- Greece: Escorted Athens Land-Only Trip w/CruiseApple Vacations
- $856* & up -- Europe Spring Fare Sale from the U.S. (R/T)Air France