Fodor's Expert Review Austin Street Retreat
408 W Austin St., Fredericksburg, Texas, 78624, USA
One of the most popular downtown guesthouses, the Austin Street Retreat offers five elegantly appointed private suites, each featuring the original Fachwerk log-cabin and limestone architecture used by original Fredericksburg settlers. You're in the heart of the town here, but once you enter the compound you'll likely feel like you're approaching a cabin in the woods. Get directions and reservations through Gästehaus Schmidt.
- very authentic in the preservation
- beds are large and comfortable
- the bathrooms are all spacious and welcoming, with oversized tubs
- two-night minimum can be inconvenient
- Victorian accents are tasteful, but may be a little too historic for some