Fodor's Expert Review The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Lisloughrey Pier, Cong, Co. Mayo, Ireland
A white Victorian house set on the exquisite grounds of Ashford Castle and overlooking Lough Corrib, the Lodge is Ashford Castle's fun and funky sister property, its bold and witty decor freely combining Warhol and hunting prints, more like a pal's mildly eccentric home than a hotel. Windows open wide to the famous Connemara air, while huge sofas, well-stocked bookcases, and open fires invite you to linger and relax. The best bedrooms are vast, with outdoor terraces on to the lake view, eclectic luxe decor, claw-foot tubs, and oversize furnishings. Wilde's Restaurant is a popular fine dining and special occasion venue, while the Quay Bar and Brasserie is a more informal venue, with a tapas menu. Arrange a tour of the castle or book a meal if you wish to experience the castle during your stay.
- access to outdoor activities on Ashford estate for half the (lodging) price
- good restaurant and bar food on-site
- secluded lakeside location
- popular wedding venue
- 2½-km (1½-mile) walk or drive to main estate
- least expensive rooms in courtyard lack view and wow factor
Rate Includes: Closed midweek Nov.–Feb.