Fodor's Expert Review Mulranny Park Hotel
Mulranny, Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland
Perched on a cliff overlooking a vast, sandy beach on the northern side of Clew Bay, 25 minutes' drive from Westport, this is one of Ireland's best-loved "bucket and spade" hotels, built in 1897 for holidaymakers arriving by train. The railway line is now the cycling and walking route known as the Great Western Greenway, which leads to Achill Island, 14 km (9 miles) to the east. The hotel retains a certain grandeur in the large scale of its bar and restaurant, with an extensive sun terrace facing the sea, and is as popular as ever with Irish families, as well as walkers and honeymooners. Choose between excellent bar food ($) and the acclaimed fine-dining experience in the more formal Nephin Restaurant ($$$). The staff are warm and enthusiastic, and full of useful touring tips.
For a small supplement you can stay up under the eaves in the retro John Lennon Suite, where he and Yoko Ono spent a long weekend in 1968.
There is a 20-meter (65-foot) indoor pool with an outdoor hot tub, while the lobby and lounge have open turf fires and inviting sofas.
- that huge beach on your doorstop and panoramic sea views
- indoor pool and leisure center
- Great Western Greenway walking/cycling route on-site
- very popular with groups and extended families
- must reserve evening meal in advance to ensure a place
- village of Mulranny does not have much else to offer
Rate Includes: Closed Jan. 7–31, Free Breakfast