Franconia and the German Danube Sights

Diözesanmuseum (Cathedral Museum)

  • Dompl. 5 Map It
  • Bamberg

Published 04/23/2016

Fodor's Review

Directly adjacent to the Bamberg Dom, this museum contains one of many nails and splinters of wood reputed to be from the cross of Jesus. The "star-spangled" cloak stitched with gold that was given to Emperor Heinrich II by an Italian prince is among the finest items displayed. More macabre exhibits in this rich ecclesiastical collection are the elaborately mounted skulls of Heinrich and Kunigunde. The building itself was designed by Balthasar Neumann (1687–1753), the architect of Vierzehnheiligen, and constructed between 1730 and 1733.

Sight Information


Dompl. 5, Bamberg, Bavaria, 96049, Germany

Map It



Sight Details:

  • €5
  • Tues.–Sun. 10–5; tour in English by prior arrangement

Published 04/23/2016


Book A Trip



  • CARS

Map View

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights
  • Hotels

See all sights in Franconia and the German Danube