Fodor's Expert Review St. Mark's Church

Gornji grad (Upper Town) Religious Building/Site/Shrine Fodor's Choice

The original building was erected in the 13th century and was once the parish church of Gradec. The Baroque bell tower was added in the 17th century, while the steeply pitched roof—decorated in brilliant, multicolored tiles arranged to depict the coats of arms of Zagreb on the right and the Kingdom of Croatia, Dalmatia, and Slavonia on the left—was added during reconstruction in the 19th century. It underwent another reconstruction in the first half of the 20th century. At that time, renowned painter Jozo Kljaković painted its walls, while the altar was decorated with works of famous sculptor Ivan Meštrović.

Religious Building/Site/Shrine Fodor's Choice

Quick Facts

Trg Svetog Marka 5
Zagreb, Grad Zagreb  10000, Croatia

01-485-1611

Sight Details:
Rate Includes: Free

What’s Nearby