Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 7-15 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/freaky-friday-rants-and-raves-7-15-a-544325/)

jorr Jul 15th, 2005 04:06 AM

Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 7-15

Rant: The new car named after the area with the lowest car ownership in North America. Tribeca, which is in Manhattan. What were they thinking? Alan Town would have been a better name!

Rave: The house painter started scrapping my house yesterday.

ethel Jul 15th, 2005 04:12 AM

Rave---I'm the second one to post!
Rave---It's a beautiful day here in upstate NY
Rave---It'll be a nice relaxing weekend at home, pet sitting for other family members who will be away.

Rant---Getting frustrated that I can't afford to buy a house in the town I've lived in my whole life. It's just not fair! Nothing against people with second homes, but they are certainly making it very difficult for the locals!

Happy Weekend every one!

margot55 Jul 15th, 2005 04:24 AM

Rave: Following the sorrow of losing our dear Willie, we have joy again in our house as we adopted a sweet 8 week old shepherd/lab mix last weekend whom we've named "Quincy". ((&))

Rave: We are now planning our September southern France trip in earnest and now that we've figured out where we'll anchor ourselves (Le Meridien in Nice and Hotel D'Arlatan in Arles), we can now move onto filling in the blanks with restaurants, activities, etc. (PamSF - stay tuned!)

Rave: Saw Carole King in concert at her sold out Radio City show the other night - she is an incredible living legend and still looks and sounds terrific at age 63!

Rave: that my post today is 100% raves! :)

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again for all your support!

cmcfong Jul 15th, 2005 05:29 AM

Yippee for Margot. A new pup will bring endless joy to you and fill your hearts. Great news!

cd Jul 15th, 2005 05:42 AM

Rant: It's been 2 weeks since any workman has showed up to work on our lower level. Grrrrrrrr

Rave: Tonight is movie and pizza night!

Rave: Manicure and pedicure today!

Rave: Off work today!

Rave: Going to Cleveland Sunday for the "Body Works" at the Science Center.

Have a fun family and friends weekend everyone.

jersey Jul 15th, 2005 05:48 AM

Overcast and muggy here in Central New Jersey. Seems like its like this always.

Rave- My trip to Ireland in September is coming together. My San Diego trip in August is planned. And I'm off to Canada on Sunday. Love to travel.

Rant- DD#3 is very ill. MD's ruling out Lyme Disease and other critter borne illnesses. Hate the Lyme disease problem here in Central NJ. Off to the MD again in 15 minutes.

Rave- Taking DD#2 to VA for college orientation today. (I may have to stay home and let DH take her depending on MD report for DD#3). She is very excited! I'm ambivalent. As my fourth child you'd think I'd be used to them going off to college by now. Sigh

Have a great weekend and stay safe.

simpsonc510 Jul 15th, 2005 06:05 AM

Rave: Booked my flights for the Boston GTG in October!
Rave: I see the light at the end of the tunnel on a huge book project.
Rant: We need RAIN in the cornbelt.

bonniebroad Jul 15th, 2005 06:13 AM

RAVE: Margot55's new baby, Quincy ((&)) ((L)) ... that's wonderful! Many happy years with your newest family member!

RANT: Jersey's daughter being ill! :-( Hope she feels better very soon!

RAVE: Planning my granddaughter's visit with us, 3 weeks in August. Getting ready to purchase the Imax tickets for "Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" which just got a great review from the NY Times, and have our reservations at Wrightsville Beach already ... :-) (We Grannies are hopeless, aren't we? :-d )

RAVE: Preparing for a week in the N. C. mountains beginning next weekend, with a group of friends. DH & I will be doing our pork BBQ late in the week, to take for a dinner, as that is my "entry fee." :D

RAVE: Our summer in the Triangle has not been that bad! It's the middle of July, and I can still walk early in the morning without passing out.... We just need RAIN!!!!!!

RAVE: The NHL will play this year ... Go 'Canes! :-)

RAVE: Rented three excellent movies from BB this past week: The 25th Hour (Edward Norton); Amen; and The Housekeeper (the latter two, Foreign French). Finished "Son of the Rough South" by Karl Fleming ... which really took me back ... I'm getting old as dirt! :D

Have a wonderful weekend, all! Stay cool ...

otto Jul 15th, 2005 06:18 AM

happy friday fodorites!

rave: no big plans this w'end in nyc. but, to beat the heat...there is a blue point oyster/blue point beer (my local)festival at a bar on st. marks this weekend! ((B))

rave: trip to ixtapa, mexico booked for december. many thanks to fellow fodorite percy for help! :->

rave: jersey...i'll be in san diego the weekend of august 12 for a wedding. got a great travel industry rate at the sheraton! >:D<

rave: margot...great! carol king is one of my favorites! ((8))

rant/rave may have to sell my car that i worked so hard to find last year. may already have someone interested!

:D

swalter518 Jul 15th, 2005 06:21 AM

Rave-Ultrasound last night and all is good! phew!
Rave-Venice in October--I can't wait!
Rant-Hotter and drier that the Mojave here in Chicago-hot's ok but the poor plants/trees!
Rant-Poster on Europe board saying that an iman in Italy predicts an attack in Venice w/in 6 months-Still going but didn't need to hear that.

sam Jul 15th, 2005 06:30 AM

Rave: The last of DH's family left today, from last weekend's family reunion - they took us all out for lobster last night - yum!
Rave: Planning a trip to Phoenix in Nov. to visit MIL and see NASCAR race.
Rave: Great weather here in Boston!

Happy Friday to all and best wishes to all that need them!

bonniebroad Jul 15th, 2005 06:34 AM

P.S.: I meant to say, above, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" ... confusing the title with the last one!

Swalter518, so glad about your ultrasound!

swalter518 Jul 15th, 2005 07:03 AM

Thanks Bonnie! As a first time mom-to-be it's odd to see the little bugger swimmin' about! :)

iamq Jul 15th, 2005 07:04 AM

Rave: Just back from a great week in Seattle to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary and my dad's 75th birthday! Amazing. My brother and I were able to suspend the pettiness and bury the hatchet so we could all be together for mom and dad.

Rave: It's finally starting to warm up and feel like summer!

Rave: Fodors GTG On Kaua`i, August 2nd, 5:30pm at the Happy Talk Lounge at the Hanalei Bay Resort! Look for the balloons! We leave in 11 days ((R)).

-Bill

Little_Man Jul 15th, 2005 07:04 AM

Rave: Puerto Vallarta on Monday!
Fellow posters with trips to venice & Ixtapa--have wonderful safe times!

Rant: I always get a little nervous when leaving the dogs, but think we have it covered this time.

Rant: the fat guy in the White House who Bush calls Turd Blossom.

Vittrad Jul 15th, 2005 07:08 AM

Rant: It is far too hot out, and why won't it rain?

Rave: I'm going to a Cubs game during work hours, paid for by work. I don't even like the Cubs all that much, but it promised to be a fun day.

seetheworld Jul 15th, 2005 07:09 AM

Rant: Trying to make my way out from under a pile of books and paperwork -- it's a losing battle, I tell ya.

Rant: Waiting for test scores.

Rave: "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" -- Can't wait to see this movie. My youngest son was an Oompa Loompa man in his school play many years ago :D

Rave: Happy Birthday to my oldest DS ((^)) ((l))

Rant: DH leaves for a week in Montreal and Toronto -- and I can't go with him, too busy.

Jersey, I hope your daughter is feeling better soon -- it must be such a worry.

Congrats swalter -- I must have missed your news :)

Have an enjoyable weekend, everyone!

Meesthare Jul 15th, 2005 07:18 AM

Rant: Fodorites and friends who are coping with illness and sadness of various kinds. Good wishes to all of you.
Rave: Going to visit friends on Mayne Island today - we get to tell them all about our new home.
Rant - I think - it seems the young female tenant who occupies the separate suite in our newly-acquired house is using the suite for business rather than to live in. And we have a pretty good idea of what the business is. My sweetie has volunteered to check it out for himself but I have advised him that this will not be necessary. :)

dcespedes Jul 15th, 2005 07:19 AM

Margot, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Swalter, we're going to Italy in October, also. Unfortunately, threats are going to be a way of life for a long time to come but we won't let them stop us either. Enjoy a wonderful trip!

Rave: We're having a BBQ Saturday night for a group of friends. We've never done the "mixing" of friends before so it should be interesting!

Rave: Progress in my skating this week...finally!

Rant: Last night there were thunder clouds and high winds but still no rain in over 5 weeks...boo hisssss!

I hope everyone enjoys a nice weekend! :)>-

buttercup Jul 15th, 2005 07:19 AM

Rave: planning a trip to Key West with DH - first no-kids trip in years.

Rave: Youngest dauthter is old enough that I'm comfortable leaving her for a long weekend.

Rant: Kids are growing up too fast!