Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Sur in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-sur-in-february-1701867/)

aodonnell0610 Sep 13th, 2021 09:17 AM

Big Sur in February

Hello! My husband and I are interested in bringing our family to Big Sur this coming February for a few days. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in this area? Also, I've read mixed reviews on visiting during this time of year and the risk of it being their rainy season. Any opinions on that? We're an active family, love to hike and visit new places. I've read that whale watching is possible this time of year which is a plus for us. I'm open to any suggestions on must sees for our trip. Thank you in advance!

Jean Sep 13th, 2021 11:30 AM

December through February are the rainiest months in Big Sur. Do you like hiking in the rain or in very wet conditions? (That's a serious question, not being snarky.) Would you still enjoy your stay if it rained every day? (Again, not being snarky.)

By whale-watching, I assume you'd be watching from the highway turnouts or from one of the few lodging options with ocean views. You can get lucky and see several whales in a day, or you can wait for quite a while. If it's raining, visibility will be poor.

At the economical end of ocean-view lodging, check the historic Lucia Lodge. They had a fire recently that destroyed the restaurant, but the lodge was spared. Not sure whether reconstruction has begun. At the ocean view for buckets-of-money end is the Post Ranch Inn. Spectacular views with prices to match. If you don't need the ocean view, look at the family-friendly Big Sur Lodge.

youngtom2910 Sep 13th, 2021 12:13 PM

there are a number of inexpensive motels in pacific grove, about 30 miles north of big sur. there are also numerous restaurants in carmel and pacific grove. We spend a lot of time in Monterey/Pacific Gove/Carmel and the drive to Big Sur is easy and very wonderful. You could drive there in the morning and come back for dinner.

aodonnell0610 Sep 13th, 2021 04:02 PM

So chances are if we visit in February we'll experience a lot of rain? I don't mind the rain, but hiking with kids in very wet conditions isn't ideal. Are there any exceptions to this type of weather this time of year?

MichelleY Sep 13th, 2021 04:37 PM

If you want to do outdoor activities, I would skip this time of year. It is our rainy season and hopefully we will get a lot of rain this next year.

Are there exceptions to this? It is the weather, so one never knows; however, it will not likely be pleasant.

janisj Sep 13th, 2021 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by aodonnell0610 (Post 17285890)
So chances are if we visit in February we'll experience a lot of rain? I don't mind the rain, but hiking with kids in very wet conditions isn't ideal. Are there any exceptions to this type of weather this time of year?

There s absolutely no way to know if it will rain while you are actually there - but if there IS a big Pacific storm it really isn't a place you'd want to be because there are road wash outs and land slides. A couple of years ago all the tourists (and year round residents) were isolated for days and some had to be helicoptered out. Hwy 1 can close for days or weeks at a time.

This is not to scare you -- and we sure do hope this is will be a huge rainy season (we desperately need the water) - but if it is stormy you won't want to be anywhere near Big Sur.

Then again it can be gorgeous -- as the AT&T Pro Am at Pebble Beach et al (1st week in Feb) proves -- some years it is a Chamber of Commerce TV advertisement for the California coast - and some years it is a rainy/foggy mess.

I personally would not pre-plan a Big Sur vacation in Jan/Feb if it meant traveling from long distance (living in northern Calif I can visit at the last minute and change plans if things go pear shaped).

Surfergirl Sep 13th, 2021 06:36 PM

We go up for a conference in Monterey nearly every February over President's weekend, and again this February. Like the other's say, Big Sur is always hit or miss. Sometimes because of the rain, sometimes because the landslides prevent you from getting there.

Since Big Sur is exactly a 30 minute drive (believe me, I've timed it) from the Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel area, it is an easy day trip from these areas. With a family, I'd stay in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area, because the hotels/motels are less pricy. And in Monterey there is a LOT to do outdoors, even if the weather isn't great. There are whale trips right there off Fisherman's Wharf. Or you can rent bikes, as there's a great bike path that runs from Pacific Grove all the way to Seaside. Plus plenty of places for short hikes.

Before you decide, make sure the area isn't packed with conventions or the golf tournament, as the hotels and motels get jammed.

Michael Sep 13th, 2021 06:46 PM

Big Sur Inn has cabins

https://flic.kr/p/8yMqCd
there is also the Ventana Inn

https://flic.kr/p/8oRVzV
I can't vouch for their accommodations as we have only eaten at these locations.

We drove down the coast one rainy New Year's Day. The storm was big enough to knock out the lights in the restaurants near San Simeon, and this what the ocean ooked like:

https://flic.kr/p/8oUXJL

Patty Sep 14th, 2021 01:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It can rain every day for the few days you're here or not at all. Winter does have some of the clearest (no fog) most spectacular weather in between rains.

Post Ranch and Ventana are both adults only. The campground and glamping tents at Ventana (located in the redwood forest below the resort) allow children but no resort access (for anyone not just children). Since the resort reopened as an all inclusive last July, there has also been no restaurant access for anyone not staying at the resort. There aren't a lot of accommodations in Big Sur. Besides the ones already mentioned, there's Glen Oaks. Ripplewood and River Inn in the village area. There are also a few private campgrounds with cabins. There are more accommodations farther south but I'd recommend staying in the village as the majority of hiking trails will be closer. Also the highway gets twistier and even more prone to slides farther south.

Staying on the Monterey Peninsula and playing Big Sur by ear is a good idea. Slides between the Monterey Peninsula and Big Sur Village are typically smaller and get cleared more quickly vs slides farther south. The most popular hikes are on the northern end of Big Sur within one hour of the peninsula. Here's a guide and map that shows where everything is located Attachment 5940

janisj Sep 14th, 2021 07:53 AM

My post was really Big Sur specific and the unique issues there because of only one real way in / out and weather/road access issues. I agree with both Patty (a local to the area) and Surfergirl to stay on the Monterey Peninsula and making most plans for Monterey/Carmel and thereabouts . . . and IF the weather is decent and Hwy 1 is open do a day trip down into Big Sur. There is PLENTY to fill a few days without venturing in to Big Sur.

You only said February - not which part of the month. The ATT tournament Jan 31 - Feb 6 will fill hotels (at increased room rates). The Presidents Day 3 day weekend Feb 19-21 will also be busy - especially of the weather is decent. Other times much less so.

Gardyloo Sep 14th, 2021 08:15 AM

A couple of other things that might be of interest to your family. (Are there kids involved? How many and what ages?)

While the numbers have apparently been falling, February is still a good time to see the migrating monarch butterflies at several locations around Monterey Bay, most famously at the butterfly sanctuary in Pacific Grove. It can be quite spectacular.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...8028988858.jpg

Farther down the coast, at Piedras Blancas just north of the Hearst Castle, there's a huge elephant seal colony that will be full of babies as well as their parents at that time of year. If you're interested in seeing the castle (assuming things are "normal" by then) a stop at the seal colony will be a fascinating (and fragrant if the wind is right :nervous:) experience.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...fead357cb8.jpg

And topping everything is Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, between Carmel and Big Sur. This is one of the most beautiful places along the whole US Pacific coast (well, the part south of Alaska) and should not be missed.

I do think that a base in Monterey/Carmel might offer more options for touring compared to Big Sur itself, including access to indoor activities should the weather turn punk.

curiousgeo Sep 15th, 2021 02:53 PM

Absolutely love breakfast at Deetjen’s Big Sur Inn, a very rustic stop.

StuDudley Sep 18th, 2021 09:09 AM

We returned yesterday from 10 nights in Carmel, 2 nights in Big Sur, & 2 in Santa Cruz (50th anniversary). For February, I'll join most others in recommending Carmel instead of Big Sur. Lot of stuff to do & see in & around Carmel. We drove or walked the "Scenic Drive" along Carmel Beach at least twice a day. Scads of restaurants. I've lived in California all my life (74 yrs), and have visited Carmel & Big Sur many, many times. I'm not a big fan of Monterey (especially The Cannery & Wharf). Pacific Grove is nice - but we still prefer Carmel. We rented a 3 bedroom AirB&B in Carmel, just a 3 min drive from Ocean Avenue (a few steep hills - so we didn't walk). It rents for around $750/day. Has full kitchen, etc. Let me know if you want details. We also stayed at the Big Sur Lodge in Big Sur (maybe our 10th stay there). We were in Cabin 3 which has an adequate kitchen & separate bedroom. We paid more than you will pay in Feb. Ventana Inn (stayed there 4 times in the 70s & 80s) like Patty stated, is now an all-inclusive Hyatt (I think) resort that costs around $2,700 a night (really!!). I could not verify this rate on their web site, but my wife read about it in a local newspaper. We also stayed at Deetjens once - unusual!!

Stu Dudley

curiousgeo Sep 18th, 2021 10:24 AM

StuD, sounds like you had a great trip. We’re visiting next month staying in PG across the street from the coastal trail. Like you we’ll be doing oceanside walks daily.

Good to know that many area restaurants are open. Where I live there are now mandates requiring proof of vaccination for indoor dining and certain activities, gyms, movies, etc. Does the Monterey coast have these kinds of restrictions in place?

Just trying to be prepared and don’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread. Thanks.

StuDudley Sep 18th, 2021 12:07 PM

""Where I live there are now mandates requiring proof of vaccination for indoor dining and certain activities, gyms, movies, etc. Does the Monterey coast have these kinds of restrictions in place?""

Nope. Many people entering restaurants were un-masked. Servers & staff all wore masks.

Stu Dudley

Patty Sep 18th, 2021 04:03 PM

No current restrictions. There may be a vote on indoor mask requirements next week but it wouldn't go into effect right away. Carmel parklets got a temporary extension until October 12th though some restaurants have already removed theirs. Yes, Ventana starts around $2700 a night in summer.

pamh Sep 19th, 2021 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley (Post 17287573)
We rented a 3 bedroom AirB&B in Carmel, just a 3 min drive from Ocean Avenue (a few steep hills - so we didn't walk). It rents for around $750/day. Has full kitchen, etc. Let me know if you want details.

Stu Dudley

I thought Carmel outlawed rentals less than 30 days?

Jean Sep 19th, 2021 06:59 PM

I did too.

https://ci.carmel.ca.us/post/short-term-rentals

janisj Sep 19th, 2021 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by pamh (Post 17288003)
I thought Carmel outlawed rentals less than 30 days?

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 17288009)
I did too.

^^^ Me three

Patty Sep 20th, 2021 06:15 AM

Legal short term rentals within city limits do exist in the commercial zone. These are generally second story units above ground floor businesses. A friend of mine has two of these. There's a permit process and there aren't many of them and I'm not sure if they're allowing any new ones.

The city (one square mile) is bordered to the north, east and south by unincorporated county (this is all still west of Hwy 1). The county has been working on an ordinance forever and has taken the position that short term rentals are currently illegal in the coastal zone (Carmel, Pebble, Highlands, Big Sur) in the interim https://mcvra.org/monterey-county