Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anyone else having problems posting here today? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anyone-else-having-problems-posting-here-today-682562/)

mclaurie Feb 24th, 2007 09:22 AM

Anyone else having problems posting here today?

If I try to post using AOL, I can't. Wonder if it's AOL, my computer or Fodors. Would love some feedback. Thanks.

suze Feb 24th, 2007 09:23 AM

I've had to log-on twice this morning.

aileen679 Feb 24th, 2007 09:34 AM

I think Fodors must have been having the hiccups or something this morning before 10:00am. I couldn't get on then, but there seems to be no problem now.

mclaurie Feb 24th, 2007 09:44 AM

I couldn't get on at all this morning. More recently kept having to log in. But now, I still can't post anything if I use my AOL browser. When I click "reply to this post" the screen changes but I don't get a posting box. I am using Mozilla to post now. I mention this in case the problem is more than just my computer. I would like to know if anyone who uses AOL is having similar problems.

NeoPatrick Feb 24th, 2007 10:07 AM

Looking at the posting times, it would appear that the site was down much of the night, and although there were a couple posts around 6 AM, there was another gap until about 9.

No doubt some tinkering has been going on, which might explain it.

I've had no problems, myself.

Dukey Feb 24th, 2007 10:09 AM

Earlier today the site was down for maintenance; did you get that message when you tried to log on?

A while ago a thread was pulled from the Europe forum and someone started a new thread with the same title but it won't come up when you click on it...I am sure by design of the editors.

Otherwsie I haven't had any problems and I use Firefox routinely.

mclaurie Feb 24th, 2007 10:19 AM

I still can't post using AOL browser and just had to log in again with AOL browser. Waiting to hear from someone else who uses AOL.

suze Feb 24th, 2007 10:23 AM

I don't use AOL but I've had to log-on a bunch of times now.

happytrailstoyou Feb 24th, 2007 10:24 AM

I have a Mac. I can't post when I use Firefox but I can when I use Safari.

Andrew Feb 24th, 2007 10:49 AM

I had the problem too and fixed it. I use Firefox. I could read the forum but when I'd try to post, I'd get a blank screen. (And yeah, I had to re-login a few times too.)

I fixed it by deleting all my cookies set by Fodors. Then I had to login again, but once I did that, all works well. It's easy to delete individual cookies through Firefox. Not sure about Internet Explorer. You can delete ALL your cookies but that's going to force you to re-login to all the sites you visit regularly...

(What's a "cookie?" It's a piece of information a website stores on your computer - usually transparent to you - to help remember things like your username, when you last logged in, etc. Without a cookie, Fodors wouldn't have any way to remember your Username from the last time you visited!)

fmpden Feb 24th, 2007 11:03 AM

I am sure it was a Fodor's problem. My experience was the same under Safari through a DSL connection. Dukey, I think the "Robespierre" threads were pulled for good reason. Looks like there is a playground monitor. But unfortunately, he is back.

mclaurie Feb 24th, 2007 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info Andrew (and everyone else). If I use Mozilla Firefox I have no problems now, but with AOL (which I think uses internet explorer) I have to log on every time and am not interested in deleting ALL my cookies.

OO Feb 24th, 2007 12:21 PM

I was just trying to figure out how to delete only some of my cookies. I used to be able to, but now it looks like an all or nothing proposition with IE 6 something or other. Decided to give it one more shot at posting and voila...it asked for my screen name then gave the reply screen. Prior to that, I was just getting a blank page too.

Lawsy I didn't want to have to delete all those cookies, and try to recall the various passwords! Thank heavens it is worked out!

mclaurie Feb 24th, 2007 12:29 PM

It's working for me now too, OO. =D>

DebitNM Feb 24th, 2007 02:31 PM

When I first tried to log on this morning, I got a message saying the site was doing maintenance. But after a short while [spent watching the african watering hole and seeing zebra and other assorted wildlife] it worked fine. I was hoping that when I got back on we would have an edit function. Oh well, we can dream can't we?

Betsy Feb 24th, 2007 03:51 PM

Oh whew! Didn't get the maintenance "memo" but had to log in every time I opened a new page on the site. Finally rebooted and all seems to be OK.

NeoPatrick Feb 24th, 2007 05:03 PM

DebitNM, we do have an edit function. In addition to previewing your reply and editing before posting, after you post you can back up with your back arrow until you come to the post reply window that had your response in it. Click preview, then edit, and edit away. That will edit your response even after you've posted it. You can even do that after you've responded to other posts, but of course you'll have to go back quite a few pages to get to your original post window.

DebitNM Feb 24th, 2007 05:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up Patrick. Didn't realize that you could do that; thought once you hit the POST MY REPLY button, that was that! Never too old to learn!

OO Feb 24th, 2007 06:34 PM

It isn't fixed! I've just had to log in twice before I could get a reply screen.

Come on guys! I've got an IT Sr analyst son...wanna borrow him? When they implement changes, they routinely stay with it, even at 2 AM to see if it works.

PS It doesn't!

Now. later, I'm trying an edit with Patrick's directions...I've failed at this before, but maybe I'll get it right this time. Last time it made a new post but the old one was still there. Testing testing.

OO Feb 24th, 2007 06:45 PM

It worked Patrick!!! :D