Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What movie best captures your favorite city? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-movie-best-captures-your-favorite-city-132177/)

Josie Jun 25th, 2001 10:47 AM

What movie best captures your favorite city?

I was amazed at how well Thailand's summer palace was recreated for "Anna And The King". "Persuasion" transports me right back to Bath. On the other hand, I hear Russell Crowe's next movie will attempt to capture Stockholm with scenes filmed in Newark, NJ. Can't be done! So tell us--when you're stuck at home, what do you stick in the VCR to transport you abroad for an hour or two?

Thyra Jun 25th, 2001 11:24 AM

Dangerous Beauty just sends me to Venice, and though it's not a city, Rob Roy has great highland vistas that I just love... the first shot is just guys in kilts running across the hills...

Ursula Jun 25th, 2001 11:37 AM

According to an interview I read with Jody Foster "Anna and the King" apparently was made in Malaysia and not in Thailand. Can somebody confirm? Besides that she said she suffered more from the mosquitos that from the hot and humid climate.<BR>And my answer to your question is one of my oldtime favourites "Roman Holidays".

Ursula Jun 25th, 2001 11:41 AM

Oh, I forgot, about Paris...<BR><BR>Well, that would be Billy Wilder's<BR>"Irma La Douce" with Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon.

jhm Jun 25th, 2001 12:02 PM

Yup, Anna and the King was filmed in Malaysia.<BR><BR>A few favorite city-movies:<BR><BR>Manhattan/When Harry Met Sally...: fairy-tale NY<BR>Dog Day Afternoon: real 1970s NY<BR>The Parent Trap remake: London<BR>La Dolce Vita: Rome<BR>Exodus: Jerusalem<BR>The Birdcage: South Beach, Miami<BR>

Ursula Jun 25th, 2001 12:05 PM

jhm: Glad you confirmed what I read a long time ago. Thanks!

Josie Jun 25th, 2001 12:06 PM

It's true. The Thai government would not allow the filming to be done there because they were offended by Hollywood's earlier portrayals of their king. That's why, having been to the summer palace, I was curious to see how well it would be recreated--and it was done very well!

Jeanette Jun 25th, 2001 12:08 PM

They play it practically every week here. Chicago- "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

Dottie Jun 25th, 2001 12:37 PM

Three Coins in a Fountain. I just gush tears when Clifton Webb suddenly appears for Dorothy McGuire at the Trevi Fountain at the end of the movie.

Topper Jun 25th, 2001 12:48 PM

London is my favorite city. The movie "Jack the Ripper" captures what I love about London best.

SharonG Jun 25th, 2001 12:53 PM

OOOO Dottie. I love "Three Coins in a Fountain" too. Also see "Summertime" with Katherine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi (from 3 Coins) for wonderful Venice! Why don't I ever meet men like that?

Rae Jun 25th, 2001 01:17 PM

Sharon--Count your blessings! After all, you haven't run into Jack the Ripper, either! And add my vote for Summertime and Roman Holiday (and while we're at it, for Gregory Peck!)

elvira Jun 25th, 2001 01:23 PM

Paris is my favorite city; oddly, the movies I like are the ones with blood and guts like Frantic, la Femme Nikita and the Fatal Image. And the Maigret series for PBS.

mimi taylor Jun 25th, 2001 01:57 PM

Gigi because of the Parisian parks I love, you can soo the Bois, Monceau, I loved femme nikita because they shot a scene in one of my favorite places, The Tran Bleu. I once had dinner there sitting in the exact spot where she kills the Chineese man. Death in Venice and Don't Look Back-because they really capture the off season darker side of venice. Breathless, for the Paris we all love Too many to continue.

Karen Jun 25th, 2001 07:16 PM

Well, I haven't gotten to Russia yet, but Dr. Zhivago certainly does make those long winters look awfully romantic!

Leslie Jun 25th, 2001 08:44 PM

"Tea with Mussolini" for Florence and San Giminango

Cova Jun 25th, 2001 10:40 PM

"Doctor Zhivago" is great, but it´s kind of similar to "Anna and the king". Set in Russia, filmed in Spain. <BR>The big dam that appears at the beginning and the end is Aldeadávila in Salamanca province, in the Duero river before arriving to Portugal (huge and impressive). And the scenes in Siberia were filmed in Soria and Ávila. And yes, winter can be fiercely cold in Castilla.

Barbara Jun 25th, 2001 10:53 PM

Katherine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi in "Summertime" , capture like no others the splendor that is Venice.

j Jun 26th, 2001 12:17 AM

"Lisbon Story" - of Win Wenders with Madredeus music.

Fwhiteside Jun 26th, 2001 06:03 AM

'Crocodile Dundee' manages to capture my TWO favourite cities - New York &amp; Sydney. Now can anyone come up with a movie that features Nagasaki ?