Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What American foods do you miss after you have been travelling in Europe for a week or two? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-american-foods-do-you-miss-after-you-have-been-travelling-in-europe-for-a-week-or-two-273490/)

Karen Nov 15th, 2002 12:49 PM

What American foods do you miss after you have been travelling in Europe for a week or two?

I love the food in France and Italy but after a 2 week diet of the local cuisine, I crave mac and cheese. Sometimes hubby and I will have Chinese food when we have had too much brie and pate'. What do you crave?

Grasshopper Nov 15th, 2002 12:53 PM

A Starbucks venti drip. So much for three swallows of espresso.

DB Nov 15th, 2002 12:53 PM

In all seriousness none. Maybe coke and ice

Patrickq Nov 15th, 2002 12:55 PM

I just mentioned this on another thread -- iced tea, without sugar or any sweetner at all. Iced tea is becoming popular in Europe, but it always seems to be sweetened.

Beth Nov 15th, 2002 12:55 PM

In England, it was salad dressings other that "salad cream" (their mayonnaise). In France, missed nothing.

Mary Nov 15th, 2002 12:59 PM

Absolutely nothing! I mean, you are joking of course arn't you? After Britain the US can only have the world's worst food.

xxx Nov 15th, 2002 12:59 PM

McDonalds burgers:))))) Lol

Spider Nov 15th, 2002 12:59 PM

American style coffee - big, and not so bitter. I like the steam to clear my sinuses.<BR><BR>

scigirl Nov 15th, 2002 01:01 PM

I miss sunny-side-up fried eggs, toast, and hashbrowns. I get cravings for my 'comfort' food and am frustrated by omlettes and quiche and etc. Did find in Spain that it was possible to get eggs and toast. This craving seems only to happen 2+ weeks into a trip.

Michelle Nov 15th, 2002 01:02 PM

A nice, thick, barbecued rib-eye steak!!!

xxx Nov 15th, 2002 01:04 PM

<BR>A good hamburger, with all the fixins', from one of our local independent restaurants, not a fast-food chain.

Sherry Nov 15th, 2002 01:06 PM

-- California wine (sorry, I'm a nor cal girl)<BR><BR>-- Texas/California steaks<BR><BR>-- California Cuisine in general-- the healthy freshness of it<BR><BR>-- Tex-Mex<BR><BR>-- Coffee from Coffee Bean or (embarrassingly enough) Dunkin Donuts<BR><BR>-- barbequed or grilled everything

xxx Nov 15th, 2002 01:14 PM

Mary, stay out of Denny's and you might discover how ridiculous your comment just was.

Carolyn Nov 15th, 2002 01:25 PM

After 1.5 weeks in Canada - I missed homemade mexican food &amp; BBQ steaks (Make mine medium rare!!!)

Martine Nov 15th, 2002 01:26 PM

I know what I missed when I came back to Europe after a vacation in the US: sweet relish!

Mina Nov 15th, 2002 01:29 PM

Not really American food, but since I eat it everyday, I miss rice (the sticky asian kind). I usually have to find an asian restaurant at some point during my travels (Korean restaurants specifically are hard to find).

Nancy Nov 15th, 2002 01:29 PM

After two weeks, I get my cravings for a nice burrito, chili relleno or a taco with some salsa from my local Mexican restaurant, and yes, I live in So. California.

xxx Nov 15th, 2002 01:33 PM

<BR><BR>Actually, Mary, given all the different immigrants the U.S. has accepted over the years, what it has is likely the most diverse food of any country on the entire planet.

Diane Moll Nov 15th, 2002 01:36 PM

I am probably one of the pickiest eaters there is and I really don't miss anything. We enjoy visiting the local markets and as long as I can purchase pasta, milk and vegetables, I am happy.

Dan Nov 15th, 2002 01:38 PM

Probably Mexican food. Salsa was all the rage in Ireland when we went there, but it was pretty bad and served with inappropriate dishes.