Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What American foods do you miss after you have been travelling in Europe for a week or two?

Search

What American foods do you miss after you have been travelling in Europe for a week or two?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Karen

I love the food in France and Italy but after a 2 week diet of the local cuisine, I crave mac and cheese. Sometimes hubby and I will have Chinese food when we have had too much brie and pate'. What do you crave?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Grasshopper

A Starbucks venti drip. So much for three swallows of espresso.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:53 PM
DB

In all seriousness none. Maybe coke and ice

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Patrickq

I just mentioned this on another thread -- iced tea, without sugar or any sweetner at all. Iced tea is becoming popular in Europe, but it always seems to be sweetened.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Beth

In England, it was salad dressings other that "salad cream" (their mayonnaise). In France, missed nothing.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Mary

Absolutely nothing! I mean, you are joking of course arn't you? After Britain the US can only have the world's worst food.

xxx

McDonalds burgers))) Lol

Spider

American style coffee - big, and not so bitter. I like the steam to clear my sinuses.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:01 PM
scigirl

I miss sunny-side-up fried eggs, toast, and hashbrowns. I get cravings for my 'comfort' food and am frustrated by omlettes and quiche and etc. Did find in Spain that it was possible to get eggs and toast. This craving seems only to happen 2+ weeks into a trip.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Michelle

A nice, thick, barbecued rib-eye steak!!!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:04 PM
xxx

<BR>A good hamburger, with all the fixins', from one of our local independent restaurants, not a fast-food chain.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Sherry

-- California wine (sorry, I'm a nor cal girl)<BR><BR>-- Texas/California steaks<BR><BR>-- California Cuisine in general-- the healthy freshness of it<BR><BR>-- Tex-Mex<BR><BR>-- Coffee from Coffee Bean or (embarrassingly enough) Dunkin Donuts<BR><BR>-- barbequed or grilled everything

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:14 PM
xxx

Mary, stay out of Denny's and you might discover how ridiculous your comment just was.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Carolyn

After 1.5 weeks in Canada - I missed homemade mexican food &amp; BBQ steaks (Make mine medium rare!!!)

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Martine

I know what I missed when I came back to Europe after a vacation in the US: sweet relish!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Mina

Not really American food, but since I eat it everyday, I miss rice (the sticky asian kind). I usually have to find an asian restaurant at some point during my travels (Korean restaurants specifically are hard to find).

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Nancy

After two weeks, I get my cravings for a nice burrito, chili relleno or a taco with some salsa from my local Mexican restaurant, and yes, I live in So. California.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:33 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>Actually, Mary, given all the different immigrants the U.S. has accepted over the years, what it has is likely the most diverse food of any country on the entire planet.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Diane Moll

I am probably one of the pickiest eaters there is and I really don't miss anything. We enjoy visiting the local markets and as long as I can purchase pasta, milk and vegetables, I am happy.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Dan

Probably Mexican food. Salsa was all the rage in Ireland when we went there, but it was pretty bad and served with inappropriate dishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -