Cycling in the Netherlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2024, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to The Netherlands at the end of the month. We are keen cyclists and looking to cycle from Utrecht to Castle De Haar and then cycle another day from Delft to The Hague and/or Rotterdam. Would love any tips, feedback on this.
cheers, Janie
Old May 1st, 2024, 03:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Google "Not just bikes"
Old May 1st, 2024, 04:18 AM
J62

There are a couple frequent Fodors posters who are avid bikers who either live in the NL, or frequently visit there... They can point to routes, apps, and other tips like on-road vs off-road/bike only routes.

I've only done a few day trips using the numbered cycling network, but it's been ages since I last rode there so my info is out of date. Here's a website descirbing the network. https://www.holland-cycling.com/tips...-cycle-network. While the numbered network is handy, my own riding style is more long stretches of open road without having to constantly navigate so I found the numbering system hard to get into a rhythm. Having a handlebar mounted navigation / phone holder would help so you don't need to stop frequently to get bearings. Perfect for a tootle from A to B though.

One thing I've been meaning to do when I have time to just go with the wind is to use the friends of cycling lodging network. https://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en/

Old May 1st, 2024, 04:26 AM

We rented bicycles in Haarzuilens last year, and cycled from there towards the Vecht river, then along the Vecht to Breukelen, Loenen and around the Loosdrechtse Plassen.
If you start in Utrecht, also take in Slot Zuylen. It's a lovely area to cycle when the weather is good.
Old May 1st, 2024, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we cycled there a few years ago after Covid for 2 weeks. If you follow my name back you'll find a thread. Very easy, very safe, no real need for helmets as you barely come across cars for much of the time and when you do they are well driven. Use the local map app to get the numbers and enjoy.
Old May 1st, 2024, 05:37 AM

One problem I have with the knooppunten, numbered junction routes, is that they can be busy and don't necessarily take you on the nicest route. There are a few apps available with them however.
There are maps online and actual paper maps with cycle paths and routes. Even Google Maps has a cycling option and will show bike paths as a layer, but something like Komoot is probably better.

https://www.bikemap.net/en/l/2745912/ allows you to plan your own routes or use existing ones which you can load into your phone or Garmin or whatever. I haven't tried it out so can't say how good it is.

If you take your bike on the train it needs a ticket and there is normally only room for two bikes, at the conductors discretion. For such a cycle friendly country the public transport system is rubbish for cyclists, and even worse for tricyclists such as myself.

Renting e-bikes make coping with any wind much easier. You still have to peddle, they don't have a throttle and are limited to 25km/h. A helmet is a good idea on one though.
Make sure you lock your bikes well every time you leave them.

Vrienden van de fiets has a worldwide equivalent in Warmshowers for those who want to cycle in the US or elsewhere.
Old May 1st, 2024, 01:40 PM

You will find plenty of routes on outdooractive.com and komoot.com
Cycling from point to point via "Knooppunten" (junctions) is very easy using the app "01 Fietsknoop". It is multilingual.