Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cycling in Netherlands -- Hoorn to Enkhuizen?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Patrick

Four of us semi out-of-shape-middle-agers will be in Amsterdam and Brugge. We plan to repeat a bicycle trip two of us did a few years ago along the canal from Brugge to the Dutch border -- and through Damme. We'd also like to tackle another trip near Amsterdam. I love Hoorn and we thought we'd do the outdoor museum at Enkhuisen. There appears to be a cycle route between those two towns and it must be about 21 KM -- about our speed. But after scouring all the websites I can find, none specifically tell us where that route is. Is there a cycle path along the water that is really worth doing or would we just be following a cycle lane along the main road between the two towns? Or is there a better bicycle trip someone can recommend of a similar length. We are assuming, (correctly, I hope) that we can rent bicycles in one town, ride to the other, and return with the bikes on the train to the first town, then return to Amsterdam. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. Two years ago, we also spent a fun day cycling on Texel, but don't want to repeat that and would prefer being a little closer to Amsterdam.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Patrick

Bringing this up to the top. Has anyone done this?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:48 PM
Grasshopper

Patrick, I'm leaving Friday for a business trip and have the weekend in Amsterdam. I'm hoping to find a ride similar for Sat. and Sun. I'll let you know what I find and post any info I can find about places to find good routes when I get back (5/1)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:52 PM
Patrick

Thanks, Grasshoper, I'll be looking for your report. Have fun!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:38 PM
Sjoerd

Can't help you with Hoorn to Enkhuizen, but I think there must be a bicycle path or a small road near the coast. Train back shouldn't be a problem.
Alternatively, start from Amsterdam, go North (take the ferry behind Central Station) and cycle to Marken via Schellingwoude and Durgerdam. Beautiful quiet road. Back via Monnickendam. No trains here, so you need to do the full circle.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:19 PM
Patrick

How long of a ride is that approximately, Sjoerd? I have read about taking a ferry between Marken and Volendam, so I suppose you could do that, return and then cycle back to Amsterdam. Or is this becoming much too much for one day?

And Grasshopper, did you go? Any report?

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Patrick

Just thought I'd try again since some time has passed. Grasshopper, did you go? Anyone else done this trip?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Sjoerd

Patrick, the trip to Marken can be easily done in day, even in half a day. I don't personally like Volendam, but you could take the ferry from Marken to Volendam. Amsterdam to Marken is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a bicycle, Marken to Monnickendam about 1/2 hour, and back to Amsterdam another 1 to 1 1/2 hour.
If you decide for the Hoorn to Enkhuizen trip, don't forget to stop in Medemblik which is also nice.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:59 AM
julie

Please tell me about where you are getting your information on these cycle trip possibilities. Are you just talking day trips or actually using bikes as transportation from one place to another? Were the bikes at the train stations clunkers or multi-speed models? Did you reserve them ahead of time or just show up? I am also middle-aged but want to tackle more extensive type trips. Thanks.