Travel from Paris to Lucerne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2024, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this to plan as I finish a Trafalgar tour in Paris, then I'm going to visit a friend in Switzerland. (Meggen just out of Lucerne). I will have a couple of days to fill in before arriving there so wondering about the best way to travel. Should I have another day or two in France, or perhaps travel half way there and stay at another town/city. I've never been to Europe so don't know the best way to go about this. I'm travelling solo, so a flight may even be easier for me. Curious to know if anyone has done something similar?
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 11:09 PM

You have several options. When is the trip?
How much time will you have already had in Paris? Will you have seen everything you wanted to see there?
I would definitely go by train. You can see a lot of beautiful countryside and it is so comfortable compared with flying, IMHO. It is also less stress and hassle.
Lucern is gorgeous and only about 4&1/2 to 5 hours by train from Paris.
Strasbourg is totally charming and only a couple of hours by train and is on the route to Lucern.
So,
You could just see more in Paris.
You could stop for a day and overnight in Strasbourg, then continue to Lucern.
You could go straight to Lucern and spend your time there.

If you are meeting a friend near there, perhaps they plan on showing you Lucern, so you would choose Strasbourg.

There are other options, but those would, I think, be easiest and best.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 11:10 PM

Google “train time, Paris to Lucern” and you will see a map with times and location of towns.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Apr 29th, 2024 at 11:14 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Good questions, and I do like the points you've made. The trip will be early September and I will have only had two nights in Paris. I don't actually have anything I need to see there as I'm more of a small city type of person.
Maybe I could look into Strasbourgh for a couple of days stopover. To be honest, I know nothing about the area!

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
You have several options. When is the trip?
How much time will you have already had in Paris? Will you have seen everything you wanted to see there?
I would definitely go by train. You can see a lot of beautiful countryside and it is so comfortable compared with flying, IMHO. It is also less stress and hassle.
Lucern is gorgeous and only about 4&1/2 to 5 hours by train from Paris.
Strasbourg is totally charming and only a couple of hours by train and is on the route to Lucern.
So,
You could just see more in Paris.
You could stop for a day and overnight in Strasbourg, then continue to Lucern.
You could go straight to Lucern and spend your time there.

If you are meeting a friend near there, perhaps they plan on showing you Lucern, so you would choose Strasbourg.

There are other options, but those would, I think, be easiest and best.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 02:46 AM

TGVs from Paris also go straight to Basel and there is a lot to keep you busy there! And from Basel, there are many direct trains (no changes) to Lucerne each day. You could also go to Bern if you want to spend some hours exploring its historic center (luggage storage in train station). There is a a scenic train that goes between Bern and Lucerne. A little slower than the "regular" trains between the two cities, but it's a very attractive ride.

If you're a fan of Burgundy wines, you could stop in Dijon and wander around this attractive city. Lots of good restaurant choices for lunch or dinner. And a charming town well off the usual tourist radar but a stop on the TGV to Basel is Besancon.

Last edited by WeisserTee; Apr 30th, 2024 at 02:51 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 07:04 AM

Basel has interesting museums. Take the TGV from Paris to Basel.

Old Apr 30th, 2024, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all above. I'll google up on Basel and see how that works. The less train changes, the better I think as I know nothing about the place yet.
Will I have problems with only speaking English?
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 09:58 PM

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/strasbourg
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Strasbourg looks gorgeous! Perhaps I'll spend time there....
Old May 1st, 2024, 11:52 PM

"I don't actually have anything I need to see in Paris".
May be you tell us what you are really interested in.
Old May 5th, 2024, 07:54 PM

Want to give you a bit of reassurance and an opinion.
First, you said you are more of a small city person, but you have not been to Europe. I am not fond of some big American cities, like New York, because parts of the city centers can feel so closed in and high rises make them feel oppressive. Though the outer rings of all cities have high rises, because they are older and built long before the high rises came into being, the centers of older, even huge, European cities do not feel so closed and oppressive. They have great squares and plazas with fountains, and parks, so I think you will feel very comfortable in Paris or Rome or any other European city.
The opinion. My daughter has lived in Europe most of her life, including several years in Basel. I spoke with her today and asked her opinion of the best place for a couple of days between Paris and Lucern by train. While she loves Basel, for a one day visit, she recommended Strasbourg for charm, slightly easier to find things, slightly more friendly, less expensive food and good wine. She also recommended another day in Paris or more time in Lucern if your friend was not going there with you. Her other opinion, with those choices, cross out Bern for consideration.
Obviously, I am biased, but respect her opinions.
Hope you come back and share your own experiences.