Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What would happen if you show up at Hertz with two different vehicles reserved but you need only one? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-would-happen-if-you-show-up-at-hertz-with-two-different-vehicles-reserved-but-you-need-only-one-396282/)

bakerstreet Jul 16th, 2008 01:48 PM

What would happen if you show up at Hertz with two different vehicles reserved but you need only one?

If you have two confirmed, Gold Club reservations with Hertz for the same location and timeframe (you made reservations for two different types of vehicles because you hadn't yet made up your mind which type you wanted), what would happen? Would both be ready for you? Would they figure you made a mistake and cancel one without asking you? Would they charge you any money for the one you don't use?

stumpworks73 Jul 16th, 2008 02:15 PM

You can cancel a rez up til right before pick up without penalty.

Having two rez at the time you arrive risks Hertz deciding you've got a duplicate and cancelling the vehicle you really need.

november_moon Jul 16th, 2008 03:04 PM

Remeber you may not get the vehicle you reserved anyway. It is all subject to availability. You can reserve a compact and end up driving away in a full sized Lincoln if that's all they have.

aucho53 Jul 16th, 2008 04:40 PM

I'm gonna hi-jack this thread to ask something I've been wondering. I reserved a compact car a few months ago, and ended up getting full sized....this cost much more on gas than i had planned since we were driving a long distance. I feel that they should in some way credit you for that extra cost. In this day and age, with the price of gas one of my main concerns when planning a road trip I reserved a compact car for that specific reason....doesn't it seem sort of unfair?

Layla %%-

tchoiniere Jul 16th, 2008 05:08 PM

Unfair but becoming commonplace. I tend to refuse the free upgrades that they give me.

starrs Jul 16th, 2008 05:09 PM

They will probably drop one of the reservations - especially if both are reserved with your Gold #.

PaulRabe Jul 17th, 2008 05:38 AM

This actually happened to me (somewhat). I still don't know how (other than carelessness), but I ended up making two identical reservations -- same place, same company, same car type. When I showed up at the place, the guy (politely) asked, "Just how many cars are you renting today, Mr. Rabe?" Oops!! He just cancelled one of the reservations and I was on my way.

Since reservations don't require a credit card, you can generally just cancel them with no repercussions.

Dukey Jul 17th, 2008 06:10 AM

Actually, reservations sometimes DO "require a credit card" but in terms of Hertz (Gold Club member here) you can, as was stated cancel up to the time of pick-up without penalty.

milemarker0 Jul 17th, 2008 07:16 AM

From HERTZ:
Hertz strongly discourages fictitious or duplicate reservations. If Hertz establishes that an individual user has submitted and confirmed multiple identical bookings, we reserve the right to cancel one or all of the reservations without notice to the requestor.

mlgb Jul 17th, 2008 07:22 AM

Recently I read a report that the car rental companies do not have enough small fuel efficient cars to meet the demand. Chances that you will not get your requested small car is increasing. They cannot change their fleets that quickly.

november_moon Jul 17th, 2008 08:45 AM

Yes - I have read similar reports. Car rental companies are planning to change their fleets to meet the demand for smaller cars, but it takes time. For now, they have an overstock of larger cars. I suspect that they will have a difficult time unloading these cars when they go to sell them as well.

As a side note - I have noticed a steep increase in the number of trucks and SUVs for sale by owner in my neighborhood.

nytraveler Jul 17th, 2008 09:40 AM

The best chance of getting a car you want is to use a large location and go early in the day. At a smaller office and late in the day you have to take what they have left.

The last time I rented at Hertz they were trying to palm SUVs off on everybody - since that's almost all they have left. Most people were refusing, some opting to wait for a smaller car to come in.

I was lucky, since I was alone and didn;t mind a 2-door - and they gave me a Mustang. A little piggy of a car - but at least not SO much gas used.

BWBlakely Jul 18th, 2008 12:27 PM

The author of this post, and others like them, help to create the issue that several others addressed...getting to a location with a reservation for a vehicle, and then getting a free upgrade, no matter if you wanted it or not.

Enjoy the free upgrade!