Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What would happen if you show up at Hertz with two different vehicles reserved but you need only one?

What would happen if you show up at Hertz with two different vehicles reserved but you need only one?

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have two confirmed, Gold Club reservations with Hertz for the same location and timeframe (you made reservations for two different types of vehicles because you hadn't yet made up your mind which type you wanted), what would happen? Would both be ready for you? Would they figure you made a mistake and cancel one without asking you? Would they charge you any money for the one you don't use?
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM

You can cancel a rez up til right before pick up without penalty.

Having two rez at the time you arrive risks Hertz deciding you've got a duplicate and cancelling the vehicle you really need.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Remeber you may not get the vehicle you reserved anyway. It is all subject to availability. You can reserve a compact and end up driving away in a full sized Lincoln if that's all they have.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I'm gonna hi-jack this thread to ask something I've been wondering. I reserved a compact car a few months ago, and ended up getting full sized....this cost much more on gas than i had planned since we were driving a long distance. I feel that they should in some way credit you for that extra cost. In this day and age, with the price of gas one of my main concerns when planning a road trip I reserved a compact car for that specific reason....doesn't it seem sort of unfair?

Layla
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Unfair but becoming commonplace. I tend to refuse the free upgrades that they give me.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
They will probably drop one of the reservations - especially if both are reserved with your Gold #.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM

This actually happened to me (somewhat). I still don't know how (other than carelessness), but I ended up making two identical reservations -- same place, same company, same car type. When I showed up at the place, the guy (politely) asked, "Just how many cars are you renting today, Mr. Rabe?" Oops!! He just cancelled one of the reservations and I was on my way.

Since reservations don't require a credit card, you can generally just cancel them with no repercussions.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Actually, reservations sometimes DO "require a credit card" but in terms of Hertz (Gold Club member here) you can, as was stated cancel up to the time of pick-up without penalty.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM

From HERTZ:
Hertz strongly discourages fictitious or duplicate reservations. If Hertz establishes that an individual user has submitted and confirmed multiple identical bookings, we reserve the right to cancel one or all of the reservations without notice to the requestor.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Recently I read a report that the car rental companies do not have enough small fuel efficient cars to meet the demand. Chances that you will not get your requested small car is increasing. They cannot change their fleets that quickly.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Yes - I have read similar reports. Car rental companies are planning to change their fleets to meet the demand for smaller cars, but it takes time. For now, they have an overstock of larger cars. I suspect that they will have a difficult time unloading these cars when they go to sell them as well.

As a side note - I have noticed a steep increase in the number of trucks and SUVs for sale by owner in my neighborhood.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM

The best chance of getting a car you want is to use a large location and go early in the day. At a smaller office and late in the day you have to take what they have left.

The last time I rented at Hertz they were trying to palm SUVs off on everybody - since that's almost all they have left. Most people were refusing, some opting to wait for a smaller car to come in.

I was lucky, since I was alone and didn;t mind a 2-door - and they gave me a Mustang. A little piggy of a car - but at least not SO much gas used.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM

The author of this post, and others like them, help to create the issue that several others addressed...getting to a location with a reservation for a vehicle, and then getting a free upgrade, no matter if you wanted it or not.

Enjoy the free upgrade!