Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traveling Solo/would like your suggestions/SanDiego baseball and wine (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-solo-would-like-your-suggestions-sandiego-baseball-and-wine-779012/)

sweetblues Apr 14th, 2009 12:01 PM

Traveling Solo/would like your suggestions/SanDiego baseball and wine

Hi folks,

Later this summer (Aug), i am planning my first visit to San Diego. Primarily to see the National vs. Padres. Secondarily, i very much would like to do a local wine tour, but will not have wheels. Sites i have checked refer to renting a limo, etc..however, since it's just me.. that's too pricey and alone, not much fun.. any suggestions for local groups that do tours from downtown during the week which allow/encourage hangers-on ?

The searches I do on-line haven't been fruitful.

Also, suggestions for a nice place to get a massage?

Thanks very much!

tchoiniere Apr 14th, 2009 12:56 PM

FYI, you can click on your username to get your old posts. You have posted this 3 times now.

What hotel are you staying at in SD and for how long?

Petco Park is a great stadium right in the heart of the Gaslamp District so I would recommend staying here. There are plenty of bars / restaurants within walking distance.

I cannot help you with wine tours but I do believe it will probably be easiest with a rental car. SD is a city where a car is almost a necessary item. Even if you just rent 1 for a day or 2 out of how many nights. 1 day to do the wine tour (there is an area that has wineries that I cannot think of - Temecula maybe????) And maybe do the drive from Torrey Pines through La Jolla back to SD the next.

mlgb Apr 14th, 2009 01:13 PM

Just an idea sweetblues but what about a wine bar in San Diego instead? I don't think Temecula is really the best place for wine touring, especially by yourself.

I don't have a suggestion but maybe someone else does, or perhaps ask on chowhound.

tchoiniere Apr 14th, 2009 04:34 PM

I was just guessing at Temecula. There is an area in SD with a bunch of wineries. I am not a wine drinker so that may be completely off.

overyonder Apr 14th, 2009 04:53 PM

-There are "some" wineries located in San Diego County but they are more in the northern section of the county.
-Temecula is a little farther away but does have quite a few wineries (with several tours offered).
-Although I do not know where you will be staying once you arrive in SD you might check into some of the hotels in the area (as they offer Wine Tour Packages - such as the Marriott).
-Also I know there is a company in Temecula that does Jeep Wine Tours (Sunrider) that will pick you up at your hotel, and also offer single person prices (but I don't have first hand experience with them).

LSky Apr 14th, 2009 06:49 PM

It would be difficult to get to a winery in San Diego without a car. The closest to downtown might be Rancho Bernardo but getting there on the bus may be a half a day journey. A wine bar might be your best bet.

As others have noted, Temecula is our major wine growers but I wouldn't want to go there in August. It's a desert climate and it will be hot.

Here's some ideas of places to search and I hope it leads you somewhere:
Deer Park Winery and Automotive Museum Escondido
or just search Escondido
Fallbrook
Rancho Bernardo - the Rancho Bernardo Inn has spa services, I've never stayed there but once in a while we go to tea there.

Good Luck, if I think of anything else I'll post it.

maybe San Diego Wine clubs??

nanabee Apr 14th, 2009 10:31 PM

If you are in town to watch the Padre games I would recommend staying in the Downtown area, which is where the ball park is along with a large shopping mall, restaurants, good hotels - all within bus or walking distance of each other. You will be close to the Trolley line which can take you out to Mission Valley. You can walk down to the Embarcadaro (which is along the west side of downtown and on the SD Bay) and take a boat over to Coronado which is a wonderful city. It is a semi-island and has the old Hotel Del Coronado, a beautiful beach, and wonderful little boutigue/local shops.
Downtown is a quick bus ride up 5th Ave up to Balboa Park to visit all the wonderful museums (or take another bus up Park Blvd) to the San Diego Zoo.

If you venture further away like to La Jolla (which I recommend) you will need to rent a car for the day.

Temecula is where many winerys are but it is about an hour out of the city. I would book a tour to do something like that. Otherwise it won't be as interesting.

sweetblues Apr 15th, 2009 04:43 AM

Thanks for the tech advice.. i wasn't sure it was posting and then read i should make the 'headline" more interesting. Great ideas about the trolley and Coronado/La Jolla.. guess i'm gonna get a car :-) I get the sense that everything's close enough for day adventures. The wine bar ideas are appealing.. stay in town and still get a taste of the local bounty. I am excited about seeing the ballpark and maybe by then, those stinkin' Nationals will be winning.....

sweetblues Apr 15th, 2009 04:44 AM

OH and i will check the chowhound website.. that oughta get me right on track.. thanks alot!

tchoiniere Apr 15th, 2009 06:07 AM

1 suggestion is if you are in SD for a couple of games - go to the Skybar on top of the Marriott next door to the stadium. You get an ok view of the game and there is a good bar. Not sure of wine choices but I have done that for a few games.

sweetblues Apr 15th, 2009 10:09 AM

It's free or is it part of the ball park? that would be a hoot!

sweetblues Apr 15th, 2009 10:12 AM

Oh, i wanted to follow up about the massage options.. is there a low key locals place anyone can recommend...? i'm a blue collar gal and too posh may be too expensive.. a nice place with a fine rep is more in line with what would be perfect.

tchoiniere Apr 15th, 2009 10:17 AM

Its not part of the park. The hotel is next door. There may be a cover charge to get into the bar if you are not staying there. It does fill up though.

Where are you staying in SD?

tennislvr1 Apr 15th, 2009 12:02 PM

any suggestions where to sit in Petco park? We're thinking of seeing a game in May. Its an evening game, so sun is not a factor.

tchoiniere Apr 15th, 2009 12:17 PM

I use www.seatdata.com when looking for seats. You can see the view from the section. At Petco, I usually go along the 1st base line near the dugout. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I try to go towards the field (around $50 a ticket or so)

sweetblues Apr 16th, 2009 04:27 AM

tchoiniere,
No firm hotel yet..i'm still snooping out deals on expedia... what appeals most, so far, is Hotel Sofia and the Gaslamp Marriott.

tchoiniere Apr 16th, 2009 04:46 AM

The Gaslamp Marriott is the one with the bar on the top. I have stayed there quite a few times and have always enjoyed it. You might even see the stadium from your room.

Try quikbook.com for deals as well.

sweetblues Apr 16th, 2009 08:35 AM

I have to ask.. do you travel for a living? You have a great many insights/suggestions/etc. I think seeing the game from the hotel room would be a unique experience. I hope to get to at least two games.. that way, PetCo Park can be enjoyed in full.

sweetblues Apr 16th, 2009 08:40 AM

nanabee.. you had a wide range of great ideas.. mind if I pick your brain about spas? salons? for girly stuff like massages? thanks!

tchoiniere Apr 16th, 2009 08:52 AM

No, I do travel quite a bit to SD for work (not a bad place to go on business travel) but am also trying to go to every MLB stadium. Only have 9 left (was down to 7). Am coming to DC for the Red Sox @ Nationals series in June. I have been to 5 games at Petco Park. It is my 2nd favorite behind PNC Park in Pittsburgh.