Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Train or bus from Anchorage to Seward? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/train-or-bus-from-anchorage-to-seward-225727/)

maryvh Jan 6th, 2005 01:20 PM

Train or bus from Anchorage to Seward?

Looking for a recommendation on whether to take the train or bus to Seward. Opinions appreciated.

Deborah Jan 6th, 2005 02:53 PM

The train is nice. It is slow, but scenic.

jacketwatch Jan 6th, 2005 03:02 PM

How long does the train take?

alaskabob Jan 6th, 2005 06:53 PM

The train leaves early in the morning (around 6:45am) and gets to Seward around 11:05a, so that's almost 4.5 hours. Driving your own car is only 2.5 hours; I'm not sure how long the bus takes.

If you want to experience the Alaska Railroad, Anchorage-Seward is the most scenic section of the entire Alaska Railroad in many peoples' opinion. It follows the road for much of it but there is a 25-mile section where it goes through wilderness and a different valley from the road.

I'd probably take the train. You can take buses anywhere, but how many times do you get to ride the Alaska Railroad? It's really a nice experience, with big windows and even a dome car. While the train is more expensive and slower than most bus rides, think of it as also getting a tour--not just transportation.

If you want a list

alaskabob Jan 6th, 2005 06:57 PM

...Sorry, accidentally hit "post my reply" before I was finished. If you want a list of bus services that go from Anchorage to Seward, let me know.

If you take the train, ask about the new dome cars for next summer. The Railroad is now competing with Holland America and Princess' own dome cars by offering their own. In the past, you could spend 20 minutes in their one dome car and share it with others. Now, you can book it for the entire trip.

BudgetQueen Jan 7th, 2005 04:00 AM

The most scenic portion of the Alaska RR IS this portion- Anchorage- Seward- not just opinions.:) Definately go via rail, it is 4 hours, an hour longer than the Seward Highway. My last choice clearly would be a bus. The cruise will have a contracted train for about $90-100 but you can take the regular run leaving around 7am for about $59. This is about the cost of the cruise contracted buses, I believe?? Bonus is getting to Seward around 11am and having the opportunity to get on the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat tour- I HIGHLY recommend this, you will have NO OTHER opportunity for as close glacier views nor wildlife opportunities. But by all means- do something in Seward- it is loaded with great touring- take advantage.

maryvh Jan 7th, 2005 10:01 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. We'll take the train. Then we'll have the afternoon to see Exit Glacier and other sights. We are planning to take the Northwestern Kenai Fjords cruise the next day.

jacketwatch Jan 7th, 2005 10:50 AM

Can you tell what the train schedule is like for Seward to Anchorage? Thanks very much!

repete Jan 7th, 2005 11:36 AM

Anchorage-Seward leaves 6:45 a.m. and arrives at 100:05
Return leaves at 6 p.m. and arrives at 10:15.

The train is beautiful, topped only by the winter ski train that runs from Anchorage to Grandview Glacier (on the way to Seward).

But . . . with three couples, I'd look into a one-way van rental. It would actually be cheaper for a group and the ability to stop along the way -- to watch the sheep, belugas, moose or just the fireweed, is worth it.

The road are great and you could have a nice breakfast or lunch along the way. It's a beautiful relaxing drive.

http://www.anchoragerentals.com/carrental.asp mentions that one way rentals from Anchorage to Seward start at $120 -- less than two train fares, although I'm not sure if that's the winter price.

BudgetQueen Jan 8th, 2005 03:35 AM

The above may only be for a compact but certainly worth an inquire. Hertz- the only major rental company allowing one way Anchorage-Seward, runs about $200/day for a mid sized. Not enough room for 6.

repete Jan 8th, 2005 02:18 PM

That's why I said prices ``start'' at $120.

My guess is that for the price of six train fares ($354) you could do quite well. Plus, while Hertz might be the only major, local agencies usually will give you better value. I've rented cars in many places and the disparity between the chains and locals is greater in AK than anywhere else I've seen.

maryvh Jan 9th, 2005 06:10 PM

I checked into a Hertz minivan and the cost for a one-way rental is $356, approximately the same as 6 train tickets. I have read that the train route is more picturesque than the drive. Would we be missing something by driving? On the other hand, we could probably make some interesting stops on the way. Any suggestions?

repete Jan 9th, 2005 06:26 PM

A few parts of the rail route are more scenic, but that doesn't come close to outweighing the chance to stop along the way and soak it all in IMO.

The drive down is the most reliable place in AK for a close look at Dall sheep and beluga whales. There's the chance to stop for a great lunch and perhaps take the tram up Alyeska.

And it's not like the drive is shabby, it's one of the best drives in the country. Plus it's a good road with plenty of pullouts.

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/10390/

mediterrus Aug 11th, 2005 01:12 AM

Is there a train that runs a little later? or is that the only one? I need to be in Seward by the evening.

Also can anyone recommend a good/cheap bus to Seward? If you have price and schedule info that would be great.

Thank you

BudgetQueen Aug 11th, 2005 03:36 AM

Independent there is only one train per day leaving around 7am. For more money and if on a cruise, you can go on the cruise contracted train that leaves later, but runs about $100pp