Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   South Utah NPs during Memorial Day Wknd (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/south-utah-nps-during-memorial-day-wknd-202620/)

Ramon Apr 20th, 2002 05:47 PM

South Utah NPs during Memorial Day Wknd

Hi all,<BR>We plan to do a hurricane tour of the S Utah region during Memorial day weekend.<BR>Heres the route we have planned:<BR>Reach Grand Junction from Denver on Thursday night.<BR><BR>Day 1: Travel on I70 and Hwy 89 reaching Zion NP (350 miles)<BR>Day 2: Zion and Bryce NPs. Stay in Bryce Park overnight.<BR>Day 3. Travel on Hwy 12, Escalante and Capitol Reef NP, then travel on Hwy 24 & I70 to reach town called Brendel near Arches NP.<BR>Day 4: Arches NP, Moab. Leave Moab by 2 PM for Denver.<BR><BR>Some of the questions we have are:<BR>1. Can we travel using our sedan? Is 4X4 a must on any of the roads/trails?<BR>2. Where can we stay near Arches NP?<BR>3. Must-see things in Moab?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Dayle Apr 20th, 2002 06:51 PM

Hi Ramon!<BR><BR>As you say, this is a hurricane itinerary you have planned. Is your intention just to check things out for a future trip? <BR><BR>Honestly, I would just save Zion & Bryce for a future trip. Go to Moab for your 4 days. You could spend more than a week there & not see/do everything. Arches is just a couple miles from Moab.<BR><BR>I've never heard of the town of Brendle. Most people going to Arches/Moab stay in Moab if they are not camping.<BR><BR>If you don't already have reservations, you'll need some serious luck to get them at this point anywhere near the Natl Parks for Mem w/e, so hurry!

Paul Rabe Apr 20th, 2002 07:33 PM

I totally agree with Dayle. The only reason to try to see six spectacular sights (you forgot Canyonlands) in three days is because you have a $500 bet that it can't be done. Okay, so it can; but why bother?<BR><BR>Make reservations for the MDW in the Moab area. Spend the weekend really experiencing Arches, Canyonlands, Fisher Towers, Deadhorse Point; rather than visiting sights just for the sake of saying you've been to them (which is all your present itinerary is doing). Hike into them, bike along some trails, take a boat ride, drive along some dirt roads (but **NOT** if it's raining). Unless a $500 bet is at stake, you'll be glad you did.<BR><BR>All of the NPS sites you list are well visitable with a standard car. Some of the dirt roads of Canyonlands should ONLY be attempted with an all-wheel vehicle (even in perfect weather), but you can rent one in Moab, or take a tour.<BR><BR>If you love action films, take a peek at the Stuntperson Museum in Moab.

Ramon Apr 20th, 2002 09:08 PM

Hi again,<BR>Thanks for your replies. I understand its a hurricane tour but thats bse we are not into hiking etc. It would be purely a sight-seeing tour. <BR>Would appreciate if someone could tell us if there are any similarities in these national parks in terms of formations etc, so that we could skip one/two. <BR>Which of these are a must-see.<BR><BR>All replies greatly appreciated.

Dayle Apr 21st, 2002 08:31 AM

Hi again Ramon,<BR><BR>Well, I really have no recommendations for you under these circumstances. I don't think you'll have any time to notice the differences between the parks, so choose or skip whatever ones you want.<BR><BR>Good luck!