Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rent-a-car Companies and Orbitz.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rent-a-car-companies-and-orbitz-com-161963/)

huge Feb 18th, 2002 07:34 AM

Rent-a-car Companies and Orbitz.com

Have you ever heard of these rent-a-car company?<BR><BR>Ace Rent a Car<BR>Interamerican Car Rental<BR>Payless Car Rental<BR><BR>Are they reliable? Can they be trusted?<BR>Has anybody ever used Orbitz to rent a car?<BR>Thanks!

paul Feb 18th, 2002 09:27 AM

After seeing Ace Rent a Car on Orbitz, I posted about that company and did not get much response. This told me to stay with the known companies. I have never heard of Ace or Interamerican but Payless is a national chain that I have heard of before. The prices on Orbitz are no different than anywhere else I have looked for rental car prices so in my mind there is really no reason to use them.

susie Feb 18th, 2002 10:45 AM

I used hotwire.com or priceline.com, can't remember which one, for a car in Seattle. Got it much cheaper and ended up being with National. Must have been priceline since i bid about 15.00 per day and got it. Was surprised. For ecomomy. Going rate at time was much higher.

Harriett Feb 18th, 2002 12:58 PM

I've used Hotwire several times and have been very pleased with their prices and service. The cars I got were actually through Hertz, and the Hertz agents were VERY impressed with the prices I got. I do know that I've always gotten a better rate than the ones available through Hertz, either online or by phone.

small Feb 18th, 2002 01:04 PM

huge: the only Payless I know is a discount shoe store. Maybe they rent you a pair of running shoes in lieu of a car.

laugh Feb 18th, 2002 05:42 PM

Stick with hotwire and priceline.

bob Feb 19th, 2002 05:58 AM

stay away from payless in miami. i rented from them in december and they didnt give me the car i had ordered and it took almost an hour to get picked up at the airport then they take you to a dinky hotel where they have a little booth

Larry Feb 19th, 2002 08:11 AM

I used Hotwire and got a price of $18.69<BR>daily for a Full sized car in Reno.

Joseph Feb 19th, 2002 08:50 AM

I've rented from Interamerican several times and never had any problems at all. I would recommend it.

george Feb 19th, 2002 10:58 AM

stay away from payless

x Feb 19th, 2002 11:48 AM

Used Payless a dozen or so times in DC and never had a problem. Chrysler vehicles, I think.

seymour Feb 20th, 2002 06:44 AM

try hotwire but these days I can't get any quotes on hotwire because they don't have cars the days I need them.

ricky Feb 20th, 2002 03:50 PM

i've never even heard of InterAmerican and Payless!

Eugene Feb 21st, 2002 07:13 AM

I rented from Payless in Orlando and have only great things to say about the company. I took them all of 3 minutes to get us on a shuttle; there were no people at the counter (it was 9 a.m. or so)...we were sitting in our car some 20 minutes after picking up our luggage at the airport. And the price we got was unbeatable - $85/week for a Dodge Neon (they consider it a midsize).

Genna Feb 21st, 2002 07:52 AM

Stay away from small rent a car companies they are usually trouble. Stick with the major companies, they are much more reliable. I've had great service & prices with Dollar Rent A Car.<BR>I love their Boston location!