Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City theater (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-theater-484789/)

ctkathy Nov 7th, 2004 11:18 AM

New York City theater

Meeting sister (two fiftyish ladies) in New York for a weekend. Tickets for Avenue Q, 700 Sundays and Wicked impossible to get.

Considering Forbidden Broadway, La Cage aux Folles, Bombay Dreams, Brooklyn, The Musical, Dame Edna and Wonderful Town. Have any of these stood out as particularly enjoyable for you? Any I should scratch from the list?

Many thanks,
Kathy

HowardR Nov 7th, 2004 12:32 PM

Forbidden Broadway is always good fun, but only if you've seen a lot of the recent and current shows. Otherwise, you'll miss a lot of the satire.
Of the other ones you've listed, La Cage Aux Folles hasn't opened yet, but if you know the show, it should be a good bet. Brooke Shields has gotten rave reviews since she took over the lead in A Wonderful Town. (Both of these shows are available on discount offers. Check the Playbill website and others.)
Dame Edna is a specialized taste. If you like her/him, then get tickets.
I wouldn't bother with Brooklyn or Bombay Dreams.

mitchdesj Nov 7th, 2004 12:38 PM

I agree to not bother with Brooklyn the musical, pleasant but a tad insipid.

I saw Bombay Dreams 3 weeks ago and although the reviews are not so good, it's entertaining, colorful, lively and fun, I stepped out on the street with a spring to my walk and a smile on my face as did most of the matinee crowd so I don't think you would be disappointed if you saw that.

mclaurie Nov 7th, 2004 04:47 PM

If you're willing to pay a premium, you might look on applause-tickets.com They sometimes have availability with or without a dinner voucher for about $40 more than face value. You should also check ebay.com to see if anyone is selling tickets they can't use for your dates.

Patrick Nov 7th, 2004 06:38 PM

I would strike Bombay Dreams from the list first, although admittedly I saw it in London and I guess the New York show is somewhat "improved". And I don't know Brooklyn. But the others I'd all run to!!!

HowardR Nov 8th, 2004 05:09 AM

If the New York version of Bombay Dreams is an improvement, I'm glad I didn't see the London original!

Keith Nov 8th, 2004 05:57 AM

I enjoyed the London production of Bombay Dreams. The soundtrack CD is in my car right now.

Keith

chombo Nov 8th, 2004 07:42 AM

Other options include Hairspray (wonderful!), 42nd Street and Rent - you can tickets for both of these from TKTS in Times Square. As to La Cage, I would check out the internet - I have a sneaky suspicion the previews are due to start later this month - it might fit in with your schedule.

Good luck1

ctkathy Nov 8th, 2004 01:58 PM

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like I will go for the La Cage tickets and then hope something else will open up with Avenue Q or Wicked.

I've already seen Hairspray, Producers, 42nd Street and Rent which is why I didn't list those productions.