Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Most romantic destination-we plan to elope! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/most-romantic-destination-we-plan-to-elope-269823/)

Scott Oct 31st, 2002 04:58 AM

Most romantic destination-we plan to elope!

Please save your bashing, but my fiance' and I plan to elope and I want to "wow" her with a destination idea that will make her melt. We are in our late thirties. Enjoy sun and quiet, peaceful, & serene destinations. I am perplexed, on one hand I would love for us to go to Florence and Venice (I have been to Florence, she hasn't) and then possibly take a cruise of the Mediterranean, but on the other hand I still think Hawaii is very romantic possibly Maui or Kauai. Maybe the Caribbean? It will most likely be around April, I want to avoid Spring breakers and Easter travelers. We plan to be away for at least two weeks, and have a decent budget to work with, ideas anyone??? Thanks, Scott

Scott Oct 31st, 2002 05:12 AM

I should have mentioned, I also thought of Mackinaw Island, although it wouldn't be warm...

Patrick Oct 31st, 2002 06:03 AM

One week cruising the Greek isles, the other week divided between stays on a couple of the islands. A little place overlooking the caldera on Santorini is a must part of this combination. Staying at the Aliki on little remote Simi would be another great part.

Scott Oct 31st, 2002 06:19 AM

Thanks Patrick, I realize this is the US forum, so I am surprised that my &quot;multi-region&quot; question hasn't been faced with more bashing.<BR>Is there a cruise line of the Greek Islands that you would recommend, we want something very nice, not party type atmosphere. Thanks again.<BR>And to anyone else, I am still looking for US type ideas.

al Oct 31st, 2002 06:24 AM

Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Check their website for photos, www.capjuluca.com.

Scott Oct 31st, 2002 07:03 AM

Al, you have my vote thus far, that website is incredible. I will research more on the Caribbean room, thanks.

jhm Oct 31st, 2002 07:07 AM

The Mediterranean in April can go either way - two years ago (when we got married) it was extremely cold. Depending on how far you're willing to fly:<BR>If you're not afraid to go to SE Asia now, Bali is incredible. Other ideas: Seychelles, Phuket, Ko Samui.

jhm Oct 31st, 2002 07:08 AM

Not sure also if you were thinking of getting married first then going away, or getting married where you were going. If the latter, you may run into problems w/international requirements for marriage licenses, etc.

beachbum Oct 31st, 2002 07:18 AM

Even the word Tahiti evokes thoughts of romance. Look at the Hotel Bora Bora, the Sofitel Motu, or the new Sheraton on Bora Bora for the best accommodations on all the islands. Or maybe Rangiroa, Tikihau, or Maupiti for more seclusion.

Queenie Oct 31st, 2002 07:41 AM

I have the perfect place. A castle in England.<BR><BR>http://www.celticcastles.com/castles/glenapp/index.htm

Sandy Oct 31st, 2002 07:54 AM

Wow! Lots of good choices! I suggest Little Palm Island in the Florida Keys. Their website is littlepalmisland.com. Let us know what you decide and congratulations!<BR><BR><BR>

John True Oct 31st, 2002 08:04 AM

OK, here is an out-there suggestion. I went to this great place here in the states, if you care to do that. It is quiet and interesting and historical and romantic. I am talking about New Harmony, Indiana. I know, not exotic if it is important to impress the heck out of her, so perhaps you can consider it after your elope trip?<BR>We stayed at The Raintree Inn. This town has this amazing atmosphere that makes it seem other-worldly and like a separate world. I do not know how else to describe it. She was into architecture, and there were some neat things there for that, including thier visitor center. It has a small re-built historical town and great places to walk. If you like history and a nice little quiet out of the way unique place, I suggest this. Not too many people know about it. It is small, no McDonalds or major stores, but that is actually a blessing. I had fun, and she had a blast!<BR><BR>Of course, if you can afford and need to go out of country, then go for it!<BR>Good luck whatever happens. I personally wouldn't elope. The surprise is great, but you could always have bad feelings from both sides of the family. Who needs that kind of stress in this already stressful world? But, the only elopement I know of is my Aunt's and she ended up marrying a monster, so, what do I know? Why not do it, if you guys really want to! Have fun!<BR>

Scott Oct 31st, 2002 08:08 AM

These have all just been fantastic suggestions! Thanks alot for you input.

carolyn Oct 31st, 2002 12:07 PM

If I could elope anywhere, with a generous budget for the trip, I would choose Paris. It doesn't meet your criteria for peaceful and serene, but for pure romance you cannot top Paris. There is something not so special about Caribbean or Hawaii, thousands of US citizens get married there every year. The unique, life-long story would be to get married in Paris. Though, I would move the trip back to mid-May.

Princess Oct 31st, 2002 12:20 PM

I don't know Carolyn, getting married in a real English castle (not the plastic Disney version) sounds like a great place to elope. I think it beats Paris and all the other choices hands down. They could always go to Paris on their honeymoon.

Janda Oct 31st, 2002 12:26 PM

The one, the only VENICE. It is pure magic.

maybe Oct 31st, 2002 01:12 PM

If you want to stay within the US i thought Napa was pretty romantic. If you like wine, perhaps you could get married in a vineyard.

SG Oct 31st, 2002 01:38 PM

My first thought is Tahiti - I haven't been yet. That would be my choice though.

Scott Oct 31st, 2002 02:05 PM

I too had thought of Paris, Carolyn, I love the idea, however the language issue made me hesitate. I will say that when I was in Florence I didn't seem to have any problems with the Italians, they knew alot of English. I have heard such nasty remarks about the French though. What is your take on that, do you think they are helpful. And also, your suggestion to push back to mid-May, is that just a temperature thing, or is there more going on at that time, etc. Thanks everyone!

romance Oct 31st, 2002 02:30 PM

What do you want to do or like to do? do you want to hike, lay on a beach, sightsee, eat, drink, dance, look at art? <BR>Venice is good for art and food. Weather is sketchy, but thunderstorms are gorgeous.<BR>Paris is good for art and food and dancing too, but is cold in April.<BR>The Carribean and Hawaii are good for hiking and sunning.<BR>