Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   let's do a new Hawaii countdown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lets-do-a-new-hawaii-countdown-998329/)

martym Nov 20th, 2013 07:25 AM

let's do a new Hawaii countdown

It was a year ago that I started the last Hawaii countdown. So what do you say, let's have a new one for this holiday and winter season.

So all you Fodorite Hawaii travelers--Shout out your Hawaii plans and how far away your travel is.

I'll start--8 days til touchdown in Kona-on Thanksgiving day--for a 10 day vacation overlooking Kealakekua Bay. (Safeway and Walmart will be open so I should be able to get something for our Thanksgiving dinner--I'm thinking shrimp scampi and maitais.)

Can't wait to be sitting on the lanai sipping Kona coffee as the sun crests Mauna Loa and illuminates the south Kona coast!

Gilbert56 Nov 20th, 2013 07:30 AM

28 days today
Fly into Honolulu and spend 1 day in Waikiki - need a Honolulu Cookie fix and a Leonards's Malasada fix.
Then it's off to beautiful Kauai for 2 weeks.
I am listening to Makana Sons of Ni'ihau as I write this.

Kal Nov 20th, 2013 08:01 AM

42 days.....a few days on Oahu <b>(YOU ARE WARNED)</b> then off to the #ellhole of an island, Kauai, for continued research into why people would <i>ever</i> want to go there.
~:>;)~:>;)~:>;)

Tomsd Nov 20th, 2013 10:03 AM

Love Izzy and his bros. Saw them in '77 or so - at the Waimanalo bowl - and I my wife and I seemed to be the only haoles in the place - but I had a good tan and was buffed then. :) Between songs - they were talking pidgeon to the crowd and during one haole joke - as I was walking up to the bathroom - I just laughed along - not sure if they were making fun of me. :)

We also buy fresh fish - many times Mahi Mahi - and make fish burgers for lunch/dinner.

MichelleY Nov 20th, 2013 10:31 AM

On Maui right now! Just had my breakfast on the lanai, looking out across the water to Molokai? Why have we stayed away so long? Loving it.

louistraveler5 Nov 20th, 2013 11:40 AM

Tale of Two Siblings in Kauai: Part II

DH & I are going back to Kauai w/ my brother & K. We went this past May for DH & K's bday. This next trip will be for my brother's big 3-0 bday. We are going July 26-August 2.

247 days until I'm back on that red dirt!!!!!!
It's going to be a long winter/spring...:`(!

ElendilPickle Nov 20th, 2013 01:41 PM

Four months to O'ahu and Maui.

Lee Ann

hpeabody Nov 20th, 2013 02:01 PM

In the process right now of booking a 28 day cruise that starts from LA (San Pedro) and will go to all islands in Hawaii to French Polynesia Tahiti, Bora Bora, Morea) to both Samoas and back home to LA (NO FLYING, YAY!) :-) Hawaii is about 338 days away as of today

carolyn Nov 20th, 2013 04:01 PM

hpeabody, that sounds wonderful. I hope you will do a trip report; I would love to go to French Polynesia.

wekewoody Nov 21st, 2013 11:43 AM

Oh lord. They let him out.

Maui Wowee in 85 days

Kal Nov 21st, 2013 12:08 PM

MichelleY...NO FAIRRRRRRRRR. ;)

hpeabody....on our bucket list.

wekewoody.... :)) Friends don't let friends go to Maui!

tomsd....1877 or 1977? :-?

Tomsd Nov 21st, 2013 12:13 PM

1777 :)

Kal Nov 21st, 2013 03:54 PM

Almost the Spirit! **==

nelsonian Nov 21st, 2013 08:58 PM

Have air fares booked to arrive at Honolulu airport on May 9th @014, leave again May 23rd 2014. What I am doing in between I have no idea. I have been reading a lot of old Fodors trip reports, Trip Advisor reports and all manner of other information. I am just confused now!!!

martym Nov 22nd, 2013 03:24 AM

Whatever you decide to do with your 2 weeks in paradise, it will be wonderful. The islands are a magical place!

wekewoody Nov 22nd, 2013 04:33 AM

Nelsonian, your problem is a good one to have. Aloha.

loumike Nov 23rd, 2013 01:56 AM

Never thought our time would come but I can finally say 7 days and counting! 30 days of bliss, adventure and discovery on Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kauai. Thank you to so many of you for your wonderful tips and reports....who needs a travel agent when we have Fodors!

marysmommy Nov 23rd, 2013 07:56 AM

29 days to liftoff for Kauai! So excited--DH and I have both been to Oahu, and he's been to Maui and the Big Island (both over 20 years ago, LOL!), but neither of us have been to Kauai. Would love tips and suggestions from seasoned Hawaii travel veterans! Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

wekewoody Nov 23rd, 2013 08:12 AM

"Would love tips and suggestions from seasoned Hawaii travel veterans!"

Here's a tip: Check your rental car for cockroaches.

wekewoody Nov 23rd, 2013 08:20 AM

Here's another: If you're there over the winter holiday, beware of a very large man with a gray goatee, wearing a Pittsburg Steelers baseball cap, carrying a bottle of Malbec, riding a yellow cruiser bicycle on the bike path in Kapa'a. He might even have an orange Fodor's bag slung over his shoulder. :-D