Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Key West restaurants? Alexander Palms Court reviews? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-restaurants-alexander-palms-court-reviews-251142/)

Carolyn Aug 19th, 2002 01:50 PM

Key West restaurants? Alexander Palms Court reviews?

Can anyone make recommendations for good restaurants in Key West. I checked the Fodor's site but it has mostly Key Largo places. I would love a good range from cheap but great to expensive with views. No chains, please. <BR><BR>Also, we are staying at the Alexander Palms Court. Anyone ever been there or heard anything about it?

Martin Aug 19th, 2002 02:17 PM

There are tons of terrific restaurants on Key West. We were last there about a year ago (and have gone several times previously). Try: Square One; Antonia's; Alice; Latitudes (take a ferry to small key off Key West...very romantic). Good cheap eats: Mangia, Mangia and others. Get a Fodor's book...there's more in there.

Martin Aug 19th, 2002 02:20 PM

Forgot our favorite: Cafe des Artistes-always make a trip there when we're on Key West (expensive, but worth it!).

susan Aug 19th, 2002 03:31 PM

For inexpensive: El Siboney for Cuban food, Half Shell Raw Bar for great fresh fish, Pepe's for all sorts of things, including the most sinful cholesterol-laden breakfast in the world!

George Aug 19th, 2002 04:30 PM

Check out chowhound.com . Go to the Florida board and do a search on Key West and/or the Keys. Lots of opinions and information there.

Marie Aug 19th, 2002 07:26 PM

Do a search on this site (the U.S. Talk board) for Key West restaurants. I've noticed that people talk about it on this board much more than they add reviews to the Fodors Restaurant Review pages.<BR><BR>I was there in April. My favorites: Blue Heaven ($$)(especially for breakfast), Croissants de France ($$), El Siboney ($), Margaritaville ($$), and the Pier House ($$$). Oh, and the place next to the Hemingway house makes great smoothies - can't remember the name.

SA Aug 20th, 2002 05:23 AM

Susan is on the right track, I'll add Louie's Backyard & A & B Lobster. I don't care for Mangia, Mangia. There is a better Italian place on Duval, but I don't recall the name.

Fisheater Aug 20th, 2002 06:51 AM

The only place you will remember after the trip is the Half Shell Raw Bar. Eat outside on a picnic table with the water view. The more peopel in your group the better.

Carolyn Aug 22nd, 2002 08:29 AM

We leave tonight! I will report back on the trip when we return!<BR><BR>Thanks for everyone's input!

EYW Local Aug 22nd, 2002 03:02 PM

The italian place on Duval could be Antonia's, LaTrattoria or Opera.

x Aug 22nd, 2002 06:10 PM

Antonias is very best for Italian food. A&B is very good. Try for a table on the wrap arpund deck. Do yourself a favor and don't do Louie's Backyard. They are only surviving because of the view.