Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   JFK T3 TO T2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/jfk-t3-to-t2-926608/)

Jonnyirish Mar 6th, 2012 06:04 AM

JFK T3 TO T2

Hi all

Hope someone can help me. We fly into jfk land @14.00 in T3 and get a connecting flight from T2 @ 15.30 do we have enough time and how long will it take to walk from T3 to T2
Thanks

doug_stallings Mar 6th, 2012 06:11 AM

You really didn't supply enough information, but I've made an assumption that you are connecting from domestic to international ... if that's not the case, you can still probably make the connection but would have to pass through security, and the entire process would take much longer.

These two terminals (both Delta) are connected. The walk takes perhaps 10 minutes (perhaps a bit more depending on where your gate is and if you are a fast walker), and it's all within security.

Jonnyirish Mar 6th, 2012 06:16 AM

We fly from ireland and connect to san fransisco
we will already have cleared imigration in dublin

doug_stallings Mar 6th, 2012 06:43 AM

I think this is treated just like any other domestic to domestic transfer, at least it has been when I've arrived at LGA on a pre-cleared Caribbean flight and just picked up my luggage at the regular baggage claim since LGA has no immigration or customs facilities.

So you don't have to reclaim and recheck your luggage since it's already been cleared by customs in Dublin, so that just happens. And you walk from one terminal to the next as I've described above.

But one caveat: I've never done this on a flight from Europe or on a connection since I live in NYC, so I'd like someone to confirm that the transition is as seamless as I've described.

Jonnyirish Mar 6th, 2012 07:41 AM

Thanks very much Doug
for taking the time

nytraveler Mar 6th, 2012 08:30 AM

I would contct the airline about customs. I know you go through Immigration in Ireland and it doesn't make sense you would have to do customs here - but it's safest to double check. As long as you don;t have to go through security again - and your plane is on time - youshould be OK.

If the plane is late and youdo have to go through security I would think chances of making it are small.

travelbuff Mar 6th, 2012 10:59 AM

Flights from Europe are often late landing at JFK and if the weather is bad, all bets are off. JFK, had a 2 hour weather delay over the weekend, so all flights coming and going were delayed so I would hope for the best and plan on the worst. If there is another flight for SF later in the day you would be rebooked, or you could get stuck at JFK overnight, again with only 1 1/2 hours, you are cutting it close.

Aduchamp1 Mar 6th, 2012 11:20 AM

I have flown in and out of JFK at least 100 times and it is mixed bag. Usually the worst time to fly is between 8-10 PM when the bulk of the international flights are crammed together. And unless there is bad weather the early afternoon is not that bad.

doug_stallings Mar 6th, 2012 11:23 AM

That's my experience as well. When you're late at JFK you're often really late, but that's just not been my experience over the years.