Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Is it too hot to visit DisneyWorld in early August with 3 young kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/is-it-too-hot-to-visit-disneyworld-in-early-august-with-3-young-kids-1654116/)

alldaytravel Jun 3rd, 2018 04:21 AM

Is it too hot to visit DisneyWorld in early August with 3 young kids?

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to finalize my plans to visit DisneyWorld for 3 days in early August with my 3 small boys - twins who are 4 and a 7 year old. However, as I read more, I am getting nervous that it will be WAY too hot (and too crowded) to really enjoy the park at this time of year. Any thoughts on this? This is our first visit to DisneyWorld with the kids and of course, I want everyone to enjoy it. Any thoughts? The alternative is pulling them out of school for a few days in the early winter/spring, which I hate to do for my older guy who will be in 3rd grade at that time. Thanks in advance for advice everyone!!

schmerl Jun 3rd, 2018 04:27 AM

Yes, it will be HOT and crowded. If you stay on site you can get early entry to the parks. Go early and enjoy the parks and then go back to your hotel and enjoy the pool, take naps, etc. You can go back to the parks early evening when it isn't quite as hot.
You know how your family handles heat more than we do.

sludick Jun 3rd, 2018 04:31 AM

Of course it depends on what you and your family are accustomed to. It will be hot, humid, and you can count on daily thunderstorms. If you are able to do so, looking into staying at a Disney hotel, so that you can go back to your room in the hottest part of the day to nap, swim (if not storming), and relax. Go out early, then back out in the evening. As far as I've seen, these days Disney is always crowded. If you do go, be sure to pack those disposable rain ponchos - they sell them at the park too, but at a premium. On a serious note, watch your children closely for heat exhaustion and be sure they are getting plenty of water. When my son was growing up here in Central Florida, football practice started around then, and he did end up in the emergency room once from the heat.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...tels-benefits/

alldaytravel Jun 3rd, 2018 04:40 AM

We live in NY, so our kids are NOT used to extreme heat. Of course, it gets real hot here in the summer, but I would imagine not what we might see in Florida (I personally have never been to Florida in the summer, so no idea what it will be like compared to NY summers). We will definitely stay on property - likely at the Contemporary so that we will be within walking distance to Magic Kingdom and to try to maximize convenience. Excellent tip on heat exhaustion - that is scary!! We would bring lots of water and even rent a stroller though our kids don't usually use one anymore, but just to give them a break. I am still nervous about going at this time of year...

sludick Jun 3rd, 2018 06:48 AM

alldaytravel - well, it's not ideal in my books, but I can go any time. For lesser crowds, my preference is January during a weekday, during a cold snap. But given your plans, I think you'll be fine. Oh - also pack sunscreen with good SPF and bug repellent.

Sassafrass Jun 3rd, 2018 07:28 AM

Personally, I would wait for a better time, even a few months later. Disney is a lot for 4 year olds and Summer heat and lines do not help. DD was there recently and has advice for rides, food, etc. I will chat with her and get back with that.

janisj Jun 3rd, 2018 08:17 AM

OK -- I really like Disney parks -- have been to them in four countries. If I had a choice I would not (ever) go to DW in Aug. More especially if I had young children. Yes, you can manage -especially if staying on site. But - again, if you have a choice - do you just want to 'manage'? It will be very crowded, will likely be VERY hot, and probably VERY humid.

So if you have a choice -- I'd pick a different time of year. If that is not an option, then yes, you can 'manage' . . .

Macross Jun 3rd, 2018 12:33 PM

I saw bug spray with spf 50 in it the other day. Disney kills their bugs so you should be ok as far as that goes. I would pick a hotel with a nice pool, go to park early day and after 6. I live here and it was more humid and hotter in Nashville last weekend. I live on the coast so a bit better than Orlando. We at least have a breeze. Disney has those misters and you can go in and out of ac. Thunderstorms cool it off a bit in the afternoon. Stay hydrated.

goingfor20 Jun 3rd, 2018 01:54 PM

The waterparks are also really great if the heat is unbearable.

goingfor20 Jun 3rd, 2018 01:54 PM

But it is definitely expensive to go from NY to Disney just for the waterparks. :)

MichelleY Jun 3rd, 2018 04:23 PM

I would take them at a slower and cooler time of year, mid-week. Take them out of school with homework to do while gone. Our daughter is 25, and looking back, I wish we would have taken her on more trips with us while she was in elementary school.

Dukey1 Jun 3rd, 2018 04:26 PM

I suspect the temperatures will be in the high 80's to low nineties and the humidity will be high. Is that what it is like in the part of New York you live in? If you DO go then I agree with the above recs of staying ON the property for the ease of transportation, the proximity of the water parks, etc.

You say your kids "aren't used to high heat" Makes sense but remember, they also are not "used to" all the stuff they can be doing at Disney, either, heat or no heat.

marvelousmouse Jun 3rd, 2018 11:43 PM

It was surprisingly not as crowded as I thought it would be. But:

1) I camped. My deodorant melted into an interesting wave shape IN THE SHADE.

2) I drank water and mostly ate salads for about half the trip until I gave into temptation and drank soda. My ankles swelled up:(

3) pool water is not refreshing but it removes that top layer of sweat from your skin. If you don’t take a swimming break or a cold shower and nap in the afternoon, you will be headed for epic melt downs at dinner.

4) I rode buses, did laundry, and worst of all, on one occasion waited an hour in line for frozen ever after because hey, air conditioning.

5) I don’t care how early you get up, it won’t be cool. The only time the weather is remotely cooler is after 10 pm at night.

6) eating counter service sounds like a great idea until you realize you would have to be outside. Just book regular table service meals for the a/c, don’t even pretend you’ll want to picnic.

7) pretty sure I went through a container of sunscreen a day, not even joking, spent more money on that than on pins. And i am capable of spending waaaaay too much money on pins

I’m used to heat. I’m used to humidity. If this had been my first experience with either, it would have been quite a shock. All that said- I had a blast. I’d probably do it again.

Tips: get everyone an insulated thermos- even a smal one will do- you need water even standing in lines. And keep your expectations realistic. If you think you need 3 days, book 5. Plan on a mid afternoon break, even if you aren’t mappers, the sun is just too brutal to be outdoors then.

schmerl Jun 4th, 2018 03:44 AM

Here's a great site for info and discussion on Disney World. Walt Disney World Discussion Forums and Chat - Find answers for Disney questions, tips on Walt Disney Vacations

sludick Jun 4th, 2018 03:58 AM

LOL, marvelousmouse! Yes, it was already 81 degrees when I left for work this morning, and it has been hitting the mid-to-upper 90's in the daytime. I think that the average LOW in early August will be 85. Hats are good, and I like to use a fan. When my son went away to camp in the summer, I gave him one of those little handheld battery-powered fans, it was pretty popular.

alldaytravel Jun 4th, 2018 04:40 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback! For our first Disney experience, going in August with the crowds and heat doesn't sound all that enjoyable :-) We may push it out to a cooler time of year and potentially pull the kids out for a few days.

Sassafrass Jun 4th, 2018 06:22 AM

Alldaytravel,
Smart decision!
Janisj's response makes you think about what you will actually enjoy. It is a lot of money spent for it not to be the most enjoyable experience possible.

WhereAreWe Jun 4th, 2018 06:40 AM

I was in Kissimmee for a week in July. I would not recommend that time of year at all. You will spend way too much strategizing on ways to beat the heat/humidity and not enough time just enjoying the parks. On the other hand, just remember that if you go in winter, you will be used to cold winter temps so even 70s will feel hot to you. Still preferable to summer though.

FWIW, I don't remember much from 3rd grade.

Sassafrass Jun 4th, 2018 10:47 AM

WhereAreWe doesn't remember much from third grade. That is a very good point. GD went to Disney at age 7, second grade, and that was young enough. Not that little kids do not enjoy things like that. They do, but the saturation point is reached so quickly, an hour or two, and for them, rides can be so simple and still be exciting. A merry go round at your local fair will be just as exciting. So, you are not depriving them of anything by waiting.

mocha_dolce Jun 4th, 2018 05:33 PM

Besides the heat, Florida in summer is also susceptible to frequent thunderstorms, and sometimes, hurricanes. November...perfect weather and smaller crowds (except Thanksgiving weekend). But if you have to, go Thanksgiving Week and minimize the absence from school. Take the week and give yourself time to enjoy without dragging the kids around too much.