Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How much vacation time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-much-vacation-time-277288/)

Suze Dec 3rd, 2002 08:34 AM

How much vacation time?

How much vacation time do you get?<BR><BR>I only get two weeks a year.

Teacher Dec 3rd, 2002 08:41 AM

2+ months in the summer and holidays, but there's a trade-off. I'm a special education teacher, and its not unusual for me to work a 60-70 hour six-day week during the school year.

Suzie Dec 3rd, 2002 08:45 AM

I get 13 holidays, 1 personal day and 4 weeks of vacation OR sick leave. You know, when it's spread out over the year it doesn't seem like that much!

Julie Dec 3rd, 2002 08:52 AM

I get three weeks of vacation, seven personal days, and the major holidays (Thanksgiving, xmas, New Years, July 4th, Memorial Day, and Labor Day). Sick days as needed.

hmmmm Dec 3rd, 2002 08:53 AM

It's not unusual for many people to work 60+ hours per week but most don't get 2+ months off in the summer.

Emily Dec 3rd, 2002 08:57 AM

My husband has 5 weeks built up, but too many deadlines to take any days off. He even had to go into work on Friday after Thanksgiving, it really sucks.<BR><BR>He often works 60-70hr weeks also, w/o 2 months off.

beachbum Dec 3rd, 2002 09:02 AM

not enough!

suzanne Dec 3rd, 2002 09:04 AM

I have worked here long enough to now get 15 vacation days a year (we all start at 10). I get 7 holidays and 5 sick days. The best part is I can carry over unused days (to a limit) to the next year! So last year I took 5 weeks off...and only 1 week off this year (too damn busy!) <BR><BR>I envy Europeans, who seem to get at least 6 weeks off a year.

Teacher Dec 3rd, 2002 09:05 AM

Yes, but I'll wager that those who work 60+ hours without the 2+ months off have salaries that reflect the extra time spent on the job.

ny Dec 3rd, 2002 09:06 AM

<BR>5 weeks that can be rolled over from year to year.<BR>11 paid holidays that I can bank for further use if I work them.<BR>12 sick days a year also able to roll them from year to year<BR>6 PLD (Personal Leave Days) must be used every year or lose em.<BR><BR>PS... I work many 60 or 70 hour weeks. Part of the job so I can really enjoy those days off!

darvy Dec 3rd, 2002 09:39 AM

To duh! ([email protected])<BR><BR>Are you kidding me? Why should we follow Europe's standard? I think we should all earn benefits from our employers - including how much time we get off.<BR><BR>Otherwise you get a bunch of self-entitled, lazy, unmotivated employees.

darvy Dec 3rd, 2002 09:40 AM

Oh, and my vacation days are:<BR><BR>3 weeks vacation (accrued throughout the year, and carryoverable)<BR><BR>Byeeee. <BR><BR>-darvy<BR>

parent Dec 3rd, 2002 10:27 AM

Teacher: While you may work 60 hours a week (don't all teachers claim that?), average in all the ones who work 35-40 and it's a pretty good job. Many of my neighbors arrive home empty handed at 3:30 every day (that's if they didn't take a &quot;mental health&quot; day).

SA Dec 3rd, 2002 10:28 AM

10 Holidays, 21 vacation days, 10 Family/sick days.

Hans Dec 3rd, 2002 10:35 AM

3 weeks / year<BR>Most work weeks are about 50 hours long.<BR><BR>Wife is a teacher - she's NEVER home before 5:00 pm and starts at 7:00 am. Yes a long summer vacation but a crappy salary.

John Dec 3rd, 2002 11:35 AM

365 days!!! Retired at 57 after working long and hard in retailing. Took my 401k out before the big dip and invested it myself.<BR>Am now 63 and travelling two to three times a year and collecting social security.<BR>Please keep working and paying into social security so I may enjoy life.<BR>Just kidding----You'll get there some day!!!

xxx Dec 3rd, 2002 11:40 AM

So a bunch of you work for a state agency huh? Most corporations don't give out vacation time like that.

J Dec 3rd, 2002 11:47 AM

Four weeks/year at a nonprofit. Corporations I've worked at varied between 3-4 weeks per year. And I take every single day of it.

HobbyWizard Dec 3rd, 2002 12:05 PM

I get three weeks vacation (one can be carried over), 5 sick days (bankable), the major civic and Christian religious holidays and two floating holidays (same as personal days)<BR><BR>BUT, I also officially am paid for only a 35 hour week<BR><BR>AND, nobody says &quot;boo&quot; when I come in 20 minutes late every morning and leave right at the stroke of 5 in the afternoon. Overtime is just a scary story I read about here<BR><BR>AND, I'm &quot;at work&quot; right now :)<BR><BR>I'll be getting fired soon, I suspect

x Dec 3rd, 2002 12:16 PM

Actually our vacation time is representative of how long we've worked at our jobs. The longer you stay, the more time you get. Both my husband and I get 4 weeks, plus sick and holidays because we've been at our workplaces from more than 15 years.