Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Honolulu Hotel Resort Fees (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/honolulu-hotel-resort-fees-1076694/)

MrsBillT Oct 26th, 2015 08:38 AM

Honolulu Hotel Resort Fees

We have traveled to many places around the world but it seems this "fee" only shows up in Hawaii. Even if you use hotel points for your stay they seem to sock you with this fee which I find absurd given what this fee is covering usually. We have to be in Honolulu for an upcoming wedding but otherwise I avoid Hawaii altogether and would rather vacation in Asia where you get so much more for your money.

nytraveler Oct 26th, 2015 08:41 AM

Resort fees are becoming more common all over the world - in any place that claims itself as a resort - even a bunch of places in Las Vegas have them.

And they are not covered by points - just like takes. You can try to negotiate with the hotel is you will not be using the "resort" part - but that seems unlikely in Hawaii.

RoamsAround Oct 26th, 2015 08:52 AM

Agree, Resort Fees are not limited to Hawaii. We've seemed them cropping up at resorts all over the world. Nowadays, if you want to avoid them make sure you read & understand the resort's Terms & Policiers BEFORE you book.

MrsBillT Oct 26th, 2015 08:55 AM

Yes it is true that they are cropping up in other places, but we have never run across any in our travels in Europe and Asia. Maybe we have been fortunate so far. Hawaii while it has beautiful scenery and weather is just so expensive and touristy for us.

MrsBillT Oct 26th, 2015 08:58 AM

One other point that annoys me in this regard. The resort fees are not optional in most cases so why have them? They should just be included in the room rate. They keep them separate so that the room rate is lower and then the add on fees appear.

sf7307 Oct 26th, 2015 09:00 AM

I completely agree with you MrsBillT - they are incredibly annoying. My other "favorite" is a separate parking charge at hotels where every single guest comes by car (ex. Hilton Head Island).

sassy_cat Oct 26th, 2015 11:18 AM

Resort fees are payable at nearly every hotel that bills itself as a resort these days.

If you want to avoid them you could pay with points (Hyatt does not charge resort fees on point bookings).

Some resorts will also reduce the resort fee for guests with status (in whatever chain).

jamie99 Oct 26th, 2015 11:31 AM

I have had to pay them many places like nytraveler said. If you do not want to pay a resort fee look into renting a condo, however you will pay a cleaning fee and refundable securty deposit.

Patty Oct 26th, 2015 11:35 AM

Hyatt does not waive resort fees for award bookings but may waive/reduce resort fees based on status.

Patty Oct 26th, 2015 04:44 PM

Sorry, I was wrong. It's only at M Life Resorts where using Hyatt points doesn't waive the resort fee. Just got clarification on a reservation I made this morning.

Christina Oct 27th, 2015 08:52 AM

I've seen resort fees all over the US, plenty in Florida. Even hotels that are not exactly "resorts", just have apool and are on the beach. I wish they'd include it in the room rate, also, if it is mandatory. Of course they do it to list a lower price. Just takes more time to compare when you see after choosing, that there is this add-on.

I can't imagine any hotel waiving it if it is mandatory, that is contradictory. They are doing it deliberately to charge everyone, they don't care if you use the stuff or not.

ChiSue Oct 27th, 2015 09:42 AM

We stopped booking that *one* hotel room with *one* bath before the hotels started this game. We use condos, where a "1BR" can mean over 1000 sq ft of living area including a large bedroom and two baths, with parking steps from the front door.No waiting for 'valet parking'.

The properties are as lovely as hotels, with pools, hot tubs and beaches. The rates are less. There are no daily fees. The lanai is larger than a postage stamp. There is a kitchen instead of pokey room service. There is a washer/dryer in the unit. True, you make your own bed and tidy a little. You also don't tip for those services. In fact, there are no outstretched palms around every corner.

We sure don't miss rising at dawn to 'reserve' a chaise at the pool or renting beach towels, chairs, an umbrella, a cooler.

Re: Cheaper in Asia. Hawaii is a State, not part of a third world nation.

Re: Touristy. Yes, Honolulu is very developed, as are some areas of Maui. Kauai and Big Island of Hawaii...not so much.

Now you've got me wondering what it will cost to visit Lanai once Ellison is done re-making it. haha

suze Oct 27th, 2015 12:27 PM

Just depends what kind of place you choose. I've never paid a "resort fee" in Hawaii myself.

suze Oct 28th, 2015 02:25 PM

This post is about traveling in Asia is cheaper than going to Hawaii? I don't think anyone would disagree with you over that part.

fmpden Oct 28th, 2015 03:21 PM

All of the hotels on South Beach in Maimi charge a resort fee. It is just another tax.

sf7307 Oct 29th, 2015 11:45 AM

It is just another tax

Except taxes are not in the control of the hotel, resort fees are, especially if they're mandatory, they should be part of the room rate.

Underhill Oct 29th, 2015 02:19 PM

Several hotels in Manhattan have resort fees, for no reason that I can fathom.

dusty56438 Oct 29th, 2015 02:51 PM

Resort fees in Hawaii hotels & condos. The list on this page is fairly accurate. It includes a short summary of what is included in the resort fee.

http://travel-hawaii.com/hawaiiresortfees.html

Also note that not all of the resort fees include parking.

Some hotels & condos charge for both.

This list is for Waikiki hotels & condos:

http://travel-hawaii.com/waikiki_hotel_parking.html

By condos, on this reply, I am talking about condos operated like hotels (condotels).

There are many other private condos that have their own rules & regulations.

sylvia3 Oct 29th, 2015 05:01 PM

This is also a problem when trying to compare sites such as priceline, hotwire and other third party booking engines. Anywhere there are tourists, there's a bs fee. Anaheim for example, where even second-tier hotels call themselves a resort and charge a fee. Once I made a fuss because the hotel shared a parking lot with other places, it was full, and i had to walk a block. They waived the fee, but reluctantly.

dusty56438 Nov 4th, 2015 10:27 AM

Update:

"This list is for Waikiki hotels & condos:

http://travel-hawaii.com/waikiki_hotel_parking.html"

The list now includes parking fees for most hotels, condotels & resorts on Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Island of Hawaii.

Parking on Kauai, Maui & Island of Hawaii is mostly free or included in a resort fee.

There are parking fees on Oahu for almost all hotels, condotels & resorts. There are some that include parking with the resort fee.

There are many hotels, condotels & resorts that have both, parking fees & resort fees.

http://travel-hawaii.com/hawaiiresortfees.html