Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Great Fort Lauderdale Restaurant for New Year's Eve (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/great-fort-lauderdale-restaurant-for-new-years-eve-215187/)

Robert Dec 14th, 2001 06:41 AM

Great Fort Lauderdale Restaurant for New Year's Eve

What is a great Fort Lauderdale Restaurant for New Year's Eve? I am too late for reservations?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Carol Dec 14th, 2001 06:47 AM

Robert are you looking for an all inclusive package. Dining, dancing and drinks or just a resturant. If it is just food you want any of the resturants in the Las Olas area are great. They are upsale resturants, but I have never been disappointed. <BR><BR>Is it steak, Italian, asian etc. food your looking for?

Robert Dec 14th, 2001 08:33 AM

Carol,<BR><BR>Thanks for the Las Olas tip. I have been on that strip many times and absolutely love it. I think that any upscale restaurant would do for us. We are looking just for a nice dinner that evening - Any specific suggestions so that I can call and make a reservation? We live in Connecticut and won't be down in Florida until Christmas Day.

Carol Dec 14th, 2001 10:03 AM

I will get back to you. I will be talking to my sister in law tonight and she is the one who suggest all the great resturants. For the life of me I can not remember the name of the Italian/Steak place. What ever you do, do not eat at Dan Marino's which upstairs from the place I am trying to think of. I will get back to you on Monday. Stay away from Shula's or any of the other tourist traps. <BR><BR>I think all of the hotels will be booked, but I bet if can get. reservations for 2 (easy seating). Big partys they need three weeks notice.

Julie Dec 14th, 2001 10:43 AM

Love the food in Ft. Lauderdale area. We have plenty of favorite restaurants there but for a nice dinner in a place with a nice romantic atmosphere I'd try: <BR>Eduardo de San Angel, exceptional gourmet mexican food with a candlelight atmosphere. 954 772 4731<BR>Mark's Las Olas for classy, trendy, up to the minute decor and food. 9544631000<BR>Oh la la, a French place again with heavy emphasis on candle light. 9545659065 <BR>Rainbow Palace, very upscale Chinese with excellent service and pretty decor.9545655652<BR>Cafe Sevilla, small, quaint Spanish place with terrific food, Spanish wines and cute decor. 954 5651148<BR>Cafe Maxx in Pompano strip mall is small enough that it should provide an intimate setting for a superb New Year's dinner. Food is some of the best in the FLL area. 954 782 0606<BR>Black Orchid is one I've never been to but sounds good. orchids everywhere with African game menu including ostrich, etc. 954 267 9888

Pro Dec 14th, 2001 10:59 AM

The reply above me has some great recommendations. Here are some more:<BR><BR>Old Florida Seafood House - Shopping center<BR><BR>California Cafe<BR>Rustic Inn Crab House<BR>Louis Louis<BR>Casa d' Angelo - our pick - Federal Highway<BR><BR>Jackson Steakhouse<BR>Shirttale Charlies - another pick<BR>Aruba - Lauderdale-by-the-Sea<BR>Burt & Jacks - Renyolds dosen't own it anymore<BR>

bob Dec 14th, 2001 11:42 AM

I've lived here for 20 years. New Years is a good time to stay away from all the big touristy places. I'd suggest Casa Bella. It's technically in Dania Beach...about 1/4 mile south of the airport on US1. Great food and kind of cosy...you'll love it. (954) 923-1000

Patrick Dec 14th, 2001 12:18 PM

My first choice would always be Mark's Las Olas, but a really interesting place would be The Left Bank, just off Las Olas. I'm on their mailing list and they always send out a newsletter with their special holiday menus. They are offering several wonderful menus and seatings for New Year's. Unfortunately I already threw it away as I won't be going over then. The food is really delightful. It's a smaller, fairly intimate and pretty place, with a really good chef. Mostly more classic French, but has some nice modern touches. This is more of a romantic and quiet place rather than the noisy, trendy atmosphere of Mark's, so it depends upon what you are looking for.<BR>

Robert Dec 15th, 2001 02:51 AM

WOW! Thanks everybody. I really appreciate all the suggestions and with phone numbers too! I am not sure where we will end up, yet, but this is a great starting point.

HarryR Dec 15th, 2001 04:51 AM

Check out the site for Sage French Cafe. It has become one of our favorites over the years. http://www.sagecafe.net

Wendy Dec 15th, 2001 11:01 AM

Hey Robert, for a little bit of upsacle night life try the Voodoo Lounge. The music is a bit loud, but the patio is great. I think they are open every night. check and see if they have live entertainment too. They in Las Olas area. A must see. A local place with beautiful people.