Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grads in Waikiki Looking for Reasonable Food and Fun (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grads-in-waikiki-looking-for-reasonable-food-and-fun-508881/)

galelstorm Mar 3rd, 2005 07:41 AM

Grads in Waikiki Looking for Reasonable Food and Fun

My soon to be 18 year old daughter's high school class is planning a trip to Waikiki June 18-25. I would like to be able to give her some tips on good food that is within her budget as well as activities. I lived on Seaside Avenue in Waikiki many years ago and still remember the Like Like Drive In and it's Ono Ono (peanut butter and chocolate)shakes! She is a sushi hound and there used to be a few late night places on Kalakaua that has reasonable prices. Also is there a bus, since they can't rent a car, that can take them to the flea market, Pearl Harbor, etc?

bashfulLV Mar 3rd, 2005 08:46 AM

The Bus runs all over Oahu, and is a very affordable way to get around Honolulu. Your daughter can purchase a multi-day or weekly pass from the ABC stores - there's one on nearly every corner - which will make it even more affordable and convenient. I love taking The Bus when I'm there because I like meeting locals and that's a great way. The Bus goes out to Pearl Harbor and the swapmeet at the Aloha Stadium and most places your daughter may want to go. There are also shuttles to many attractions.

Be sure to instruct your daughter to pick up one of each of the "This Week on Oahu" books - they're everywhere and there are a few different ones - and they can scour them for coupons for food and activities and will save a bunch of money that way.

Where will they be staying? That makes a lot of difference in the amount they'll need to have for food - if there's a kitchenette in their room they can have some meals in and save the money for other things. I believe most all of the hotels have at least a frig in the room so they could have drinks and maybe some breakfast and lunch foods, or snacks in there so they don't have to eat every meal out. There are lots of little restaurants all over the place and fast food places (McD's, etc.) are all over too.

suze Mar 3rd, 2005 11:44 AM

Lewers Street Loft & Lanai in the 220 block of Lewers near the beach has wonderful cheap food. Breakfasts from $3.50-$4.75 and "plate lunch" meals for $7.00 (you know the local special 2 scoops rice, 1 scoop macaroni salads plus choice of main dish).

Nearby on Beach Walk is Henry's fruit store that sells delicious ready-to-eat cups or bowls of all kinds of local fruits for >$3.50.

Yes "The Bus" is everywhere and efficient & for $2.00 will take them most anywhere. Ask at the hotel front desk which route to catch or check the website.

If they have a kitchenette visit the Food Pantry grocery store for provisions. Lots of ready to eat stuff.

Also the ABC stores that are on every corner (cold noodle salads, sushi, sandwiches, cut fruit, beverages, crackers, cookies, etc.) and actually I found them cheaper than Food Pantry.

Saint Germain bakery near the Food Pantry is excellent and priced reasonably.

kolohegirl Mar 3rd, 2005 12:08 PM

A word of warning....the Food Pantry is very pricey.
The "ono-ono" shakes from KC's drive-in were da bomb, but KC's is no more unfortunately. But Rainbow drive-in is still there!
They've got Genki Sushi on Kapahulu but I've never eaten there, so can't say how good or bad it is. There's an awesome hawaaian food place for really reasonable prices......Ono Hawaaiian Food, also on Kapahulu.
For relatively cheap activities.......surf! Take a lesson and then rent a board and go!

lcuy Mar 3rd, 2005 01:13 PM

Don't forget Zippy's! There is one on Kapahulu Ave. Genki sushi is a great place for a group...not only do they have regular sushi on the conveyor belt, but they also have salads, tempura and dim sum type items for the non-sushi types.

18 year olds here love Bucca di Beppo..not a local place of course, but popular with teens. Its at Ward center underneath the theaters. Big City Diner is there also. the kimchee fried rice is my favorite.

Also the food court at Ala Moana Center is good..still has Patty's Chinese as well as others. Bubbies Ice cream is also fun-

Bus service is available everywhere they'll want to go. They can get schedules on line or at the Satellite city hall at Ala Moana Cntr (mountain side near Macy's on the lower floor).

sunbum1944 Mar 3rd, 2005 02:03 PM

I can't believe Patty's Kitchen is still there - wow! Its been there a long time!

When we were in Hawaii- we just went to the grocery store - bought a cooler/ picnic food/ marinated teriyaki steaks
and went to the beach and had a cook out- lots of the parks have grills

It was very fun! and cheap!

galelstorm Mar 3rd, 2005 05:00 PM

Thanks to all of you who have given me a little bit of recent insight and a few memories to boot!
kolohegirl: You are so right it WAS KC Drive In! I used to work at the El Morrocco Restaurant that was across the street and we would run over during breaks to get those shakes!
bashfulLV: They are staying at the Aston Coral Reef and I don't know if they'll have refers but the cheap coolers from ABC will do in a pinch.
sunburn1944: I like the grab some steaks and go grill 'em idea!
suze: Thanks for all your tips! The Lewer's breakfast and lunch sound great and the fruit at Henry's on a hot afternoon even bettah!
Icuy: Ah...the Ala Moana food court...many memories and is the shave ice place downstairs still there? Patty's was great and hopefully still is.
Any more ideas on what might interest some 18 year olds for sight seeing? Chinatown has some tours that include dim sum lunch I read in another thread. Chai's for some authentic local music (I remember Robert and Roland and Ala from way too long ago to mention here!)Iolani Palace? Bus to Hanauma Bay? A hike in Manoa Valley? Oh where can they buy lei's at a reasonable price? Only downtown? What about an authentic hula show...Tavana's was always fun at the Moana but I am sure they are long gone.
Mahalo again to everyone.
P.S. I think I wish I were going back too!

lcuy Mar 3rd, 2005 05:20 PM

Definitely do the hike to Manoa falls, the Diamond Head hike )inside the crater), and Hanauma bay.

Iolani palace and Bishop musuem are both good. I think they still have the Royal Hwn band play on the grounds of Iolani Palace on Fridays at lunchtime. They might call ahead and reserve spots on the palace tour to attach to that time.

The bus goes to all of these spots.

Chais is fun. Call ahead to see which night R Cazimero plays. Its a bit pricey, maybe they can order an appetizer and (virgin) drink, then eat elsewhere. Its fun to shop at aloha tower before of after Chais.

There is a free hula shows in the evening at Royal Hwn Center, also free Tahitian dance at Ala Moana Beach one night a week (thurs?).

PakePorkChop leads the tours in Chinatown. Very good deal, especially if they eat lunch with him afterwards. He's got teenage daughters, so he may have other ideas and will certainly get along with the kids. Do a search here for his posts where a web site is listed.

MelissaHI Mar 3rd, 2005 05:37 PM

Gale, I work at Aloha Tower Marketplace. The Cazimero's perform on Tuesdays at Chai's, but he has live entertainment every night of the week.....like ukulele master Jake Shimabukuro.

Here at Aloha Tower Marketplace (www.alohatower.com), we have free live entertainment nightly. So if you find Chai's too expensive, you can go to Don Ho's or Big Island Steak House.

Also, since I'm posting, I should add that we provide free tours of historic Aloha Tower. So after you do your tour with PakePorkChop, head over to Aloha Tower Marketplace and ask the Guest Services Desk for more information. You may want to call ahead to ensure you get the best person for the tour--808-566-2337.

galelstorm Mar 10th, 2005 06:24 AM

I am so wishing I were going too!

Icuy: Are there tour groups that do a Manoa Falls hike? Thanks for all the tips on free music and hula that is available for the kids to listen to and see. I found a 2 for 1 coupon on Chai's website if the kids want to take advantage of some savings there.
MelissaHI: Thanks for the info about Chai's. Robert and Roland will be here in the Bay Area in May so I will get a chance to see them with Patrick Makuakane's halau, Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu! I think the kids will really enjoy the Aloha Tower tour and the marketplace for shopping. Thanks for the phone number. I know pakeporkchop is your brother...too many funny sibling posts here. Does he lead the Dim Sum China Town tour? Do you have contact info for this tour? My daughter LOVES Dim Sum because I have spoiled her with Yank Sing here in S.F.
Mahalo to everyone for the info here.
Anyone have a special lei stand that they frequent? Or any other places, things to do for this group of 18 year olds? I will be putting together a little booklet of stuff for them along with the maps etc. from AAA.

MerryTravel Mar 10th, 2005 06:32 AM

A really great place for inexpensive local food is Diamond Head Market & Grill on Monsarrat about halfway between Kapiolani Park and the entrance to Diamond Head. I used to live across the street and lots of locals stop their on their way home from the beach. Tell them they have to try the plantation iced tea. There's also a great burger place, Teddy's, just down the street toward Waikiki. In the same little string of shops is a small "grocery" where they make beautiful and affordable leis. All are a nice walk from Waikiki.

Right in Waikiki, I loved Ezogiku for noodles and gyoza. Going there felt like a mini trip to Japan. If they'd like something a little more upscale but not outrageous, House Without a Key at Halekulani is right on the water and a very good value, especially for lunch.

MelissaHI Mar 10th, 2005 12:59 PM

Hi gale, you can contact PakePorkChop at [email protected]. I'm not sure about any official dim sum tour, but aside from his regular $5 historical tour, he arranges for customized dim sum tours. And, when you see him, you will see that he's consumed a lot of dim sum in his lifetime, which is what makes him a pro at it. :D

Be sure to mention to him that you've spoiled your daughter on Yank Sing. I don't know if PPC has gone to Yank Sing, but I have. If her palate is accustomed to that level of dim sum, <i>my</i> personal recommendation is that you do Legend or Seafood Village when you get here. All dim sum is dim yummy, but those are probably the better ones that offer a good price. (As opposed to Panda, which is expensive for dim sum.)

bashfulLV Mar 10th, 2005 01:35 PM

galestorm - I have stayed at the Coral Reef a couple of times - it's a decent place and a pretty good location. The first time we stayed there I believe we had a room that had a small kitchenette - so you might see if they can get one of those. If not, then I do remember that the other room did have a frig. Also, it's right by the Int'l Market Place and there's a good food court in there where they can get a good selection of food for reasonable prices.

galelstorm Mar 11th, 2005 12:44 PM

I swear I posted a response here last night...oh well!
MerryTravel: Thanks for the tip on Diamond Head Market; sound like a great place to stop on the way home from the beach to get a little nourishment B4 heading out that night. What's in the plantation iced tea? Is it fruity? Teddy's sound like hit too. Thanks for the &quot;lei stand&quot; tip. I'm going to put in an order to bring home to mama! Mailei, puakenene, pikake, tuberose...ahhh I can smell them now!
MeliisaHI: Thanks for your bro's email address. No comment on how much dim sum any of us can eat. Don't want to get on your bro's bad side now do you?LOL Too much fun reading the bantering between you two siblings! I have read other postings about both Legend and Seafood Village and they sound authentic and wonderful. Hopefully pakeporkchop can give these teens a true feeling of a wonderful Chinatown.
bashfulLV: Since my son is the chef in the family, daughter makes Kraft Mac n Cheese as her specialty, I think they can forego the kitchentte. But I will tell them to be sure to get a frig for snacks and drinks.
Mahalo to everyone for their help!

MelissaHI Mar 12th, 2005 10:41 AM

Hi gale, no worries on getting on PPC's bad side with size! Set him in front of some Chinese food and he's happy.

As for plantation tea: It's iced tea with pineapple juice in it. yum!

lcuy Mar 12th, 2005 11:03 AM

gale- there are tours that go into Manoa falls, but really, it is just as easy to do it on their own.

Take the #5 bus from the mountain side of Ala Moana Center. Tell the driver they're going to Manoa falls and ask to be reminded to get off. When the bus reaches its terminus in the valley (about 25 minutes) get off. Stay on Manoa Road and walk about 2 blocks further up the street. The road will switch from a wide straight street to a more country style.

Walk past the big concrete building that used to be Paradise Park (now is Treetops restaurant)and the parking lot.

Continue up till they see a little pull out with cars parked there. That is the start of the trail. It is well marked, and only about 1/2 mile to the falls.

Take mosquito spray and stay on the trail. do not go if its raining, as the trail can get slippery, and do not attempt to climb above the falls, as it is really dangerous.

donnae_b Mar 13th, 2005 09:03 AM

Bashful, Can you tell me the cost of a multi day or weekly bus pass? Do you need a photo for the pass?
Can we take a bus to the north shore?
Thanks for your help.

galelstorm Jun 20th, 2005 12:26 PM

Hi all,

OK, Saturday is blast off. Last minute things to do. They want to surf, any recommendations on lessons in Waikiki? Some have taken one or two lessons before on Maui. Next, they want to DANCE! What is the 18 year old club scene like in Waikiki, or is there one?

Thanks once again to all for your helpful tips!

Aloha!

chepar Jun 20th, 2005 02:01 PM

They can take surf lessons right on Waikiki beach from one of the beach boys - can't miss them.

As far as the under 21 club scene - It's been years since I've been to any clubs, but doing a quick check on http://www.candy-graphics.com/zoomx/club_scene.html these are a few and what it says:

VENUS NIGHT CLUB - One of Hawaii’s hottest showbar and dance club. Islands best Dj’s spinning non-stop hip-hop, r&amp;b, trance,house..anything goes from 10 p.m-4 a.m.
Located @ 1349 Kapiolani Blvd.
MONDAYS-Soljah mental Mondays 18+over
WEDNESDAYS-The Playhouse party presents &quot;Wet n Wild Wednesdays&quot; 18+over
THURSDAYS-Shiane Marumoto Productions brings you &quot;Little Tokyo Thursdays&quot; 18+over
FRIDAYS-Xtreme radio 104.3 presents..&quot;Freak-e Fridays&quot;18+over

ALL STAR WAIKIKI-New hot club of Hawaii rocking two rooms of phat music and good vibes. Located @ 2080 Kalakaua Avenue
FRIDAYS - Shiane Marumoto Productions presents &quot;Vibe&quot; 18+over 10pm-2am, w/ 99 cents drink specials until 11pm!

GARDEN OF SAIGON- Two levels of hottest hip hop, house and anything goes.
Located @1041 Nuuanu Avenue
SATURDAYS-Shiane Marumoto Productions brings you the Garden of Saigon. 18+ over..9 p.m-2 a.m

OASIS - Located @ 1778 Ala Moana Boulevard, Discover Bay, 2nd floor
SATURDAY-Kaizo Entertainment presents Oasis. 10pm -2am. Drink specials until 11. $10 for those 21 and under, and $5 for ages 21 and up

WORLD CAFE - 1130 North Nimitz Highway Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
Phone: 808.599.4450 Fax: 808.585.2875
Doors Open 10 pm Over 21: $5 Under 21: $12
THURSDAYS-Big City ladies night
FRIDAYS-Live broadcast with I-94
SATURDAYS-Extreme Saturdays .Live broadcast with Extreme radio

Can't really comment to any of these, but it's a start.

galelstorm Jun 20th, 2005 02:16 PM

chepar -
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, it's been a lot of years since I did the club scene in Waikiki too...we're talking Spats in the 70's!