Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   East Coast Getaway (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/east-coast-getaway-167516/)

JR Jan 15th, 2003 07:33 AM

East Coast Getaway

Any ideas for a long weekend east coast driving getaway. Leaving from jersey<BR>Thanks

JR Jan 15th, 2003 07:36 AM

A romantic getaway that is.

funny Jan 15th, 2003 07:39 AM

HAHAHAHA..although I like NJ, just laughing at the response.<BR><BR>I think Newport R.I is lovely if you like New England and I would suggest Philly if you're looking for more of a city.

What Jan 15th, 2003 07:39 AM

Depends on the time of year, your interests, and who's goin. The wineries on the North Shore of Long Island can be great for a long weekend, except maybe in the winter. The Greenport Inn was recently renovated and makes for a nice place to stay. <BR><BR>Newport, with a sidetrip to Foxwoods, is nice for weekend, as is a trip to Vermont.<BR><BR>Plenty of history in Pennsylvannia and Washington, DC isn't that far.

JR Jan 15th, 2003 07:42 AM

The trip would be within the next few weeks. Mid Feb.

dfg Jan 15th, 2003 07:54 AM

How about cape cod

Funny Jan 15th, 2003 07:58 AM

I think Newport R.I. and a drive down to Mystic CT. Or Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket.<BR><BR>Philadelphia, Lancaster County PA.

xxx Jan 15th, 2003 08:03 AM

New Hope Pa. Lambertville across the river on jersey side. Many B&amp;B's to choose from. Depends what you are looking for. There are many fine restaurants cozy places, rustic, antique shops. New Hope also has a little playhouse to see a show. Sounds like it may be a Valentines get-a-way. This is nice you are planning something special.

zootsi Jan 15th, 2003 08:09 AM

If you are looking for the perfect, scenic New England village, Litchfield CT. comes the closest for a short drive from Jersey. The Berkshires of Mass. also have some very scenic, secluded inns.

fluffnfold Jan 15th, 2003 08:20 AM

I live in Pennsylvania, so I've done lots of short weekend trips. How about the Greenbrier in Sulphur Springs, West Virginia? Also check out the Inn at Little Washington near DC, and the Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michael's, Maryland. All very beautiful, luxurious, romantic, and consequently pricey. Williamsburg, Virginia makes a nice little weekend trip, too. The Williamsburg Inn is quite nice, as are the quaint rooms you can rent above the historic buildings.

Elaine Jan 15th, 2003 08:23 AM

Litchfield is a beautiful part of CT. Check out CopperBeech Inn or the Griswold in Essex. In Newport my vote is for the Francis Malbone .

good point Jan 15th, 2003 08:43 AM

Fluffnfold, good point about Inn at perry cabin although kind of $$. But brings to mind that Annapolis Md is a great weekend getaway plus you can drive down the eastern shore. Very pretty.

Pam Jan 15th, 2003 09:09 AM

I had a great time at &quot;The Griswold&quot; in Essex CT as well as the Francis Malbone in Newport. I'd like to add the eastern shore of Maryland. We stayed in Chestertown at the Inn at Chestertown. It was quiet,relaxed and certainly romantic.

SM Jan 15th, 2003 09:17 AM

Annapolis, MD. My wife and I just spent a lovely weekend there the week before Christmas. Plenty of places to eat and Irish pubs to get a good drink. Naval Academy is full of history and very interesting.

why not Jan 15th, 2003 02:34 PM

Why not a Lighthouse get away, along the east coast. Some allow overnight visitors.