Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving routes NYC to Antietam (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-routes-nyc-to-antietam-1707378/)

alison May 2nd, 2022 06:16 PM

Driving routes NYC to Antietam

Hi, for weekday late morning in May google maps shows choices of I95 going near Philly and Baltimore and 78 and 81 through Allentown and Harrisburg. Anyone drive this often who can suggest best routing? We will check online that morning but wonder if we should try to avoid I95 regardless. Any more scenic route that doesn’t add tons of time?
TIA.

J62 May 3rd, 2022 02:34 AM

I would take I78 & I81 route. It's no more miles than I95 and you avoid pinch points like Baltimore. I would not call it terribly scenic - endless miles of rolling hills through PA with a lot of trucks, but the route is fine. You can hit a slowdown on I78 as you cross the Delaware river into PA. The long incline seems to always back up truck traffic but it's usually only a short backup.

deladeb May 3rd, 2022 09:21 AM

Hi Alison, last year when you mentioned a trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam I mentioned this place if you enjoy ice cream, so in case you forgot:
Home. There is also a good Mexican restaurant in Sharpsburg housed in a former bank, their salsa and fajitas were outstanding! Have a great trip!

deladeb May 3rd, 2022 09:23 AM

That’s odd, the website didn’t appear, anyway, it’s called Nutter’s Ice Cream and it’s in downtown Sharpsburg and it’s located in a 100 year old general store.

alison May 3rd, 2022 11:39 AM

deladeb postponed from last year. And yes, Nutters for sure. Thx
J62 thx for the input. Let me know if you can suggest any other routing.

J62 May 3rd, 2022 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by alison (Post 17359136)
deladeb postponed from last year. And yes, Nutters for sure. Thx
J62 thx for the input. Let me know if you can suggest any other routing.

It's the same rolling hills and farmland through PA no matter the route, and taking a slower route isn't any more scenic, just slower. ....Best to put the miles behind you if you can and enjoy your destination.
Yes, you could stop somewhere along the way such as Lancaster county area, but that would take you out off your way and IMO not worth a detour if you're just passing through.

tomfuller May 5th, 2022 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by J62 (Post 17359022)
I would take I78 & I81 route. It's no more miles than I95 and you avoid pinch points like Baltimore. I would not call it terribly scenic - endless miles of rolling hills through PA with a lot of trucks, but the route is fine. You can hit a slowdown on I78 as you cross the Delaware river into PA. The long incline seems to always back up truck traffic but it's usually only a short backup.

For sure go through Harrisburg and use I-81. If you have an interest in Civil War history, you can make a stop or even spend a night in Gettysburg before going to Antitem.

Christina May 6th, 2022 08:50 AM

I would never ever take that I95 route instead, and that isn't the all of it, you have to go around Baltimore and then go onto I70 west. That route has no advantage at all that I can think of and takes longer according to Google maps. I've driven that route several times but can't compare as I would never take I95. I have driven around Baltimore and on I70 enough to know that's no fun. If you want to go down route 15 from Harrisburg, that's an option. I have used route 30 going west at York to 15 as an alternative also as I83 south of Harrisburg has been a parking lot several times in the past year or two for me (some road construction).