Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   chicago trip for my parents (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-trip-for-my-parents-549072/)

girlonthego Aug 3rd, 2005 04:04 PM

chicago trip for my parents

Hi all, I have been looking for my parents to take a little vacation. They have been to the doctors too much lately and need a getaway.(everything so far is coming up good, but has been stressful). They were thinking north-canada where it is cooler, but mom hates to fly so changing planes is not an option. One direct short flight is preferred. So, I am thinking Chicago. They have never been. (neither have I)(They are originally New Yorkers). So, what hotel is the nicest and in the middle of that magnificant mile? And what are a couple of great restaurants or sights to see. My parents are in their late 60's. They like nice hotels, good food, theater,shopping and people watching. Thanks!!

girlonthego Aug 3rd, 2005 06:55 PM

ttt

girlonthego Aug 3rd, 2005 06:57 PM

It doesn't seem to go to the top!! So, I will try again. Any info out there???Thanks

Citylghts Aug 3rd, 2005 07:17 PM

If you could provide some specifics, it may be easier to help you. Everyone likes nice hotels, can you give a price range? When are you thinking of coming? For how long? (You don't want to be looking for a room when there are 10,000 contentioneers coming to town.) Are you looking for a room for 2 or perhaps a suite for 3?

You also mention doctors and that they are in their 60s. Do they have any limits on walking? Climbing stairs, etc.?

For restaurants, again, what's your price range? What types food do they like? Metromix.com can help you find them as well as theatre and other events.

girlonthego Aug 3rd, 2005 07:44 PM

Thanks citylights. I realize I wasn't very specific. They are fine to walk around. Their health has been good. Dad has had some cancer scares and may have another one.
They like the luxury hotels. I am looking at the Drake, Meridian, Four Seasons, etc... I would like to get the best price I can for them, but they want a nice room. They would like to go soon. In the next few weeks. Airfares are reasonable in about two weeks.
Dining, they like nice upscale restaurants with good continental food. They are not the Thai food type. They are more traditional. They do love italian and a good steak house. They also like french and german food. So, if you have any suggestions, pass them on!! Thanks.

Lynn_Gibson Aug 3rd, 2005 08:30 PM

My favorite hotel in Chicago is the Hotel Monaco. It is just off Wacker and a lovely boutique hotel.

exiledprincess Aug 3rd, 2005 10:18 PM

Girlonthego, well, my two suggestions aren't on the Magnificent Mile, and one is a B&B, not a hotel.

I'd recommend Hotel Burnham in the Loop - maybe accompany that with tickets to Wicked at the Ford Center for the Performing Arts-Oriental Theatre(which is only one block north of the hotel) or The Lion King (four blocks to the northwest from the hotel). The buses stop right across the street which goes to N. Michigan Avenue. The hotel is only 3 blocks west of the Art Institute and Millennium Park. And the hotel is right across the street from Marshall Field's flagship store and one block north of Carson, Pirie, Scott.

OR for the B&B experience, Flemish House in the Gold Coast - only 2 blocks north of the Magnificient Mile.

Places to dine: around Hotel Burnham, Atwood Cafe (American), Trattoria No. 10 (Italian), Golden Budha (Chinese Steakhouse with waterfall ambiance) if going to The Lion King. On/near N. Michigan Avenue, Le Colonial (French Vietnamese); RL (American); if your father is a sports fan, Mike Ditka's - Da Coach is very often there greeting customers in the evening and they have a great singer who does Sinatra.

And, absolutely, have them do the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise. Wonderful.

Hope they have a great time here!

JJ5 Aug 4th, 2005 05:49 AM

Take exiled princess' advice. She is spot on for all and especially on the location of lodging. Your parents will love this much, much more than the Mag. Mile.

cd Aug 4th, 2005 06:17 AM

For German/American food try:

Berghoff it's just a block or so from the Art Institute and really good.
http://www.berghoff.com/Berghoff/home.html

girlonthego Aug 4th, 2005 09:06 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure if they would like the Burnham or not. I am looking into it. It seems that they offer a queen bedded room. How far are they walking distance to the Magnificant mile?
Have any of you stayed at the Drake? Is it really nice or are the rooms really tiny? My parents prefer the old fancy hotels vs the modern type hotels.

Vittrad Aug 4th, 2005 10:17 AM

I have never stayed at the Drake by Watertower Place (I live two miles away, why would I ;) ... but they have a lovely tea and afternoon lunch, in a very elegant dining room, and if I may be so presumptuous as to judge the rest of the hotel by the dining room, I'd venture to say they'd like it. My mother and I go there every year around Christmas.

JJ5 Aug 4th, 2005 10:54 AM

If they like old, they will prefer the agenda as detailed by exiled princess a whole lot more than being right on the Michigan Ave. (Mag.mile).

Look at a map of Chicago downtown. You can walk to Mag. Mile.

They might like the Palmer House.

The Drake has a lovely tea, but it is not in the easiest location for LOOP/Millenium/Grant Pk./ Buckingham Ft/Art Institute etc. And the rooms are quite small. Mag. Mile/Watertower is primarily shopping. But you could walk there or take a cab quite easily. Also there is a free trolley during the warm weather months.

The Palmer House is very ornate, old and my daughter and I have had lunch there several times after a theatre experience. I favor it because my father-in-law was one of the plasterers that did the cornices. But it, like several other LOOP location hotels are old, historical, and elegant.

girlonthego Aug 4th, 2005 11:22 AM

Forgive me because I am totally unfamiliar with Chicago and so....how is the area surrounding the Loop? Is it safe to walk around at night? How far is it to the mag. mile? I do not have a map in front of me. I think I will stop by AAA today. The Palmer house vs. the Burnham hotel? They like luxurious nice hotels and can afford to stay in a good one. My dad has a slew of Amex points. I was hoping to be able to have him convert some into hotel pts. (the flight is short and prices are cheap). He said that he would rather get a nice room in a nice hotel and forget the points.

Citylghts Aug 4th, 2005 12:12 PM

The loop is immediately south of the river centered around State Street. The Magnificant Mile is the area along Michigan Ave (2 blks E of State) north of the river.

It's about a mile from the center of the loop to the far end of the Mag Mile. Both areas are perfectly safe to walk, just use common sense.

Michigan Ave is rarely empty at any time of the day or night. The stores on State Street close a little earlier but there are still people around late for theatre and restaurants.

The Palmer House is a large convention hotel that was built in the 20s. The Burnham is a smaller, new hotel in a restored historic building. Before I moved to Chi, Palmer House was always my preference.

If this is their first trip to Chicago, I'd say Palmer House and they can upgrade to the Towers section. Part of the musical Show Boat was set in the Palmer House and it was mentioned in The Music Man, so they've likely heard of it.

The other old-time hotel is the Ambassador East. It's a couple miles north of downtown so maybe not a good choice to stay, but if they're creating a weekend of classic elegance, they could go to the Pump Room in the AE for a drink. It used to be Frank Sinatra's hang-out when he was in Chicago. I'm not sure how the food is now, it rested on its laurels for a while and got stale, however I hear it's improved lately.

mikesmom Aug 4th, 2005 12:24 PM

I think your parents would like something in the North Michigan Avenue area. I know that is what I prefer. You should go to tripadvisor.com and all the nice hotels in Chicago will come up - like the Park Hyatt, the Sofitel Water Tower, the Peninsula, etc. I think if you choose one of these, you can't make a mistake. These hotels are in a great area - walkable to all the great shops and restaurants.

Just my two cents, of course.

JJ5 Aug 4th, 2005 12:39 PM

They don't want new, modern and shopping. Those, especially Peninsula, are very modern.

jlm_mi Aug 4th, 2005 01:35 PM

Actually, according to the first post, they do want shopping.

While I prefer the Loop and river areas myself to staying on Michigan Ave., I realize that not everyone is like me. :) They seem to really want to be on Michigan Ave., so would probably feel a bit let down at staying elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with the luxury hotels in Chicago, but the advice to read reviews at tripadvisor is a great one.

panucci Aug 4th, 2005 02:07 PM

Have you looked into to Ritz Carlton or the Park Hyatt? Both are on the Mag. Mile, very expensive, but very, very nice and have wonderful restaurants as well.

panucci Aug 4th, 2005 02:10 PM

The Museum of Science and Industry has the most amazing exibit called Body Works.

mikesmom Aug 4th, 2005 03:27 PM

The original poster did not say her parents want an "old" hotel. She said they want a "luxury" hotel on the Magnificent Mile.