Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Boston-NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/boston-nyc-277830/)

Katie Dec 5th, 2002 01:35 PM

Boston-NYC

Takimg Amtrak from Boston to NYC during the holiday, which is better:<BR><BR>1) business class on a regular train (other seats are unreserved)<BR><BR>2) business class on Acela train (which is the least expensive class<BR><BR>Anyone know the differences? Recommendations?<BR>

r-travels Dec 5th, 2002 03:06 PM

Business class guarantees you'll have a seat. It will be the same type of seat as in coach, but you will receive complimentary non-alc. beverage. Usually the Business class seating is on one end or the other of the train, so people from coach will (or should not be) walking through your car, so it tends to be quieter too. On the #66/67 trains, I think the seats are spaced a little further from each other as well than in coach - or at least it seems. Most Bus. class tickets seem to be $36 extra for the routes I've taken.<BR><BR>Acela is the new, deluxe, faster (not by much) train with more amenities. Lumbar (sp?) support on the seats, outlets for each seat, tray tables that will support a notebook pc. I've not used it, as too many articles I've read says it is not a good price:value ratio.<BR><BR>Go business on regular is my advice.

Jen Dec 5th, 2002 03:18 PM

Nowadays, very few of the trips are NOT Acela. But there is an Acela Express and Acela Regional. The latter makes a few stops, takes about a half-hour longer, and costs FAR less. Some trips (e.g., the 195), the coach seats are reserved. You sorta have to check each of the available trains. <BR><BR>IMHO, a reserved seat on the Acela Regional is the best value for Boston-NYC. As has been pointed out, the rserved section is much calmer -- not only because it gets less pedestrian traffic, but because families with youngchildren, and collegestudents, are less likely to use it. (My apologies if you represent either group.)

r-travels Dec 5th, 2002 03:30 PM

The new president of Amtrak (Gunn?) has been having the &quot;Acela&quot; logos removed from the &quot;regional&quot; trains. They had been called &quot;Northeast Direct&quot; before Amtrak got on a renaming frenzy a few years ago ... but you are right, that train, whatever you want to call it, is the better deal. I do like the business class seating though for the overnight train, and any other time the coach might be filled.

lauren Dec 6th, 2002 07:09 AM

it seems that the acela express (business) is just $30 more than acela regional business. Is it worth it if cost is not really an issue?

suzanne Dec 6th, 2002 09:07 AM

Depends how much your time is worth. The express is faster than the regional (by 1/2 hour? or so). The trains themselves are basically the same. Sometimes they use the newer trains for the express trips.

jake Dec 7th, 2002 02:00 PM

Is time the only difference?