Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ATM's on Oahu and Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/atms-on-oahu-and-kauai-190352/)

Budman Jan 4th, 2005 10:39 AM

ATM's on Oahu and Kauai

If you use an out-of-network bank, they will most likely charge an ATM fee?

Are there any free ATM's out there? For example, here in central Jersey, the WAWA's (similar to a 7/11 store) offer no-fee ATM's. Any such "animal" in Kauai or the other islands?

If they do charge fees, one would most likely take out larger amounts of cash per transaction. ((b))

chepar Jan 4th, 2005 10:57 AM

My experience has been that I will be charged a fee if I use an ATM not belonging to my bank, whether or not they belong to the same network. Albeit I am a Hawaii resident, so this may not really answer your question completely.

As an example, I bank with Bank of Hawaii. When I withdrew money from an American Savings ATM, I was charged $3 by American Savings for using their ATM, and an additional $1.50 from my own bank for using another bank's ATM. They both belong to the Plus network.

Since Bank of Hawaii has ATMs everywhere, I hardly ever withdraw money from another bank's ATM. In the few times that I've done this, though, the fees were always charged.

Budman Jan 4th, 2005 11:03 AM

Do they have convenience stores with free ATM's? ((b))

chepar Jan 4th, 2005 11:13 AM

Any convenience store's ATM I've ever used in Honolulu has been one of those "independent" types - not affiliated with any bank in Hawaii - and they have charged the highest fees. Never noticed if they were within the same network as my bank, though.

For this reason I use convenience stores only as a last resort and prefer to use another bank's ATM if I can't find a Bank of Hawaii ATM.

Suzie Jan 4th, 2005 11:19 AM

I find that if I use the ATM for a POS and get cash back I cicumvent the fee that a bank would chanrge. Shop at the larger stores like Safeway and get cash back.

auntiemaria Jan 4th, 2005 11:20 AM

On O`ahu, look for the wall of ATM's upstairs at Ala Moana Shopping Center (mauka -- backside -- of the complex). The offer free withdrawals to a wide variety of network-supported ATM cards.

Here on Kaua`i, head for the ATM machines at a bank. Some offer the free withdrawals as mentioned above; at worst, you'll have to pay a slight transaction fee for each withdrawal.

Budman Jan 4th, 2005 11:31 AM

Suzie, great idea -- never thought of that, but you are right. Food stores here will give you up to $50 when swiping your card, asking for cash back, and putting in your PIN.

Do they have Bank of America on Kauai? I have one of their ATM cards which has a 6-digit PIN that I have never used. ((b))

crys Jan 4th, 2005 02:02 PM

I was never able to find a BofA ATM when I was on Kuaui a couple of years ago. But I got my cash by buying something from Safeway, drug stores, and WalMart. Just a bottle of water, and you can get $50 back with no fee from either your bank or the ATM.

travelinandgolfin Jan 4th, 2005 04:54 PM

With all the money you'll be spending on your vacation in Hawaii, I doubt a couple dollar fee will affect you much.

Have fun! :D

Budman Jan 4th, 2005 05:48 PM

It's not just a couple of dollars -- it's the principle. A couple of dollars here, a couple of dollars there, a couple of dollars everywhere. One could get "dollared" to death. ((a)) ((b))

anna_k Jan 4th, 2005 06:35 PM

When we did our grocery shopping at Safeway and Long's Drugs we would get cash back at the register.

Izacruisin Jan 5th, 2005 03:34 AM

Budman, is it "the principle" or is it "the dollars" ??

mauigirl50 Jan 5th, 2005 09:38 AM

During my last trip to Maui, my ATM card quit working on my 2nd day there - I paniced! Then I walked into Bank of Hawaii & asked if I could do a cash advance, which they they were happy to do for me. I went there about 3 times during my stay. BOH didn't charge me anything for these transactions & my bank at home didn't charge me anything.

Budman Jan 5th, 2005 10:45 AM

Are you sure you got a "cash advance"?

Did the money come out of your checking account?

Did you use your credit card or ATM card?

My gut feeling is you got ATM money without using the machine, especially since you did not get charged for a cash advance, and it came out of your checking account.

I may be wrong. ((b))

PamConlan Jan 6th, 2005 03:55 AM

I work for a major bank outside of Detroit, Mi. and when debit cards first came out, we were told we couldn't do cash advances with them..as they've become so popular, we've accidentally done a cash adv, and it works just like a credit card cash adv and does come from the checking...I'd just be worried that the bank wouldn't do it for you, but if Bank of Hawaii will do it, that's great!!! Because I'm in the same boat--don't want to bring cash for 3 weeks,travellers checks can be a pain, so I will query more at work today.. Thanks for input. pam

Budman Jan 6th, 2005 04:39 AM

Pam, technically, you did not get a "cash advance" if it came out of your checking -- all you did was "debit" your checking account -- your own money.

A cash advance is "borrowing" on a credit card -- interest would incur.

Also, your VISA or M/C debit card can also be used for purchases -- the funds just come out of your checking account -- but of course, you knew that.

I prefer to use a credit card for all my purchases when I can because I don't have to pay for it until the statement arrives -- I always pay it off so I incur no interest. I love using other people's money. ((a)) ((b))