Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A Christmas trip to Naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-christmas-trip-to-naples-903737/)

1tallbird Aug 23rd, 2011 08:50 AM

A Christmas trip to Naples

Hi,

I live in Scotland, UK and I'm planning a festive trip to Naples and Key West. My husband and I are in Key West the week prior to Christmas and in Naples for the Christmas week. I haven't booked the trip in full yet as I need to know if there are any places to eat open on Christmas and Boxing Day in Naples - does anyone out there have a difinitive answer and / or any recommendations - other than I'll have to book in advance to ensure we get a great place and a table! I've looked on a few forums but there's no clear answer. I'm hoping that someone local in Naples can let me know? We're both in our 30's and enjoy eating and drinking out. Alternatively if you've travelled there recently over Christmas you could let me know your experiences - good or bad?!!

If we can't get somewhere to eat in, then being from a cold country and looking to have a warm Christmas day for a change, I'm thinking a picnic on the beach would be perfect....a huge departure to what we're used to but then hey that's the whole point of coming to Florida! Any recommendations for a good deli so we can stock up with goodies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

K

mollmatt Aug 23rd, 2011 12:25 PM

There are lots of restuarants open on Christmas day. You shouldn't have any problems at all finding a place, although reservations will be necessary. You can go from very fine dining at the Ritz Carlton, to more casual places like the Jolly Cricket. The Naples Daily News will start having advertisements of all the places open on Christmas a few weeks before. You should be able to access it on naplesnews.com.

Hopefully, the weather will be warm. We can have anything from 50's to 80's in late December.

Keith Aug 23rd, 2011 06:03 PM

Boxing Day is not a holiday in this country. Everything that would normally be open on Monday will be open that day.

The Naples area has wide spectrum of great places to eat.

The only Christmas Day I spent there, we ate at a friend's home.

1tallbird Aug 24th, 2011 08:13 AM

Hi mollmatt, thanks for your tip to look at naplesnews.com - great advice. Thanks again, I'm off to look at the site now!

1tallbird Aug 24th, 2011 08:15 AM

Hi Keith, I wasn't aware that Boxing Day wasn't a holiday, this is great news for us! Thanks for your reply.

Royal Sep 2nd, 2011 08:52 AM

To answer your question about a good deli, try Wynn's Market on #41 and 1st Ave N. It's just a few blocks from the beach and they have everything you would need.

Some of our favorite restaurants in Naples are: Bleu Provence, Bistro 821, Pazzo's, Trulucks all of which are downtown. You will definitely need reservations during Christmas week.

1tallbird Sep 6th, 2011 10:33 AM

Hi Royal, thanks for the tips, we'll be sure to visit them.