Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/)
-   -   Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013 (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/deep-south-road-trip-feb-march-2013-a-938371/)

jaguar7777777 Jun 8th, 2012 02:39 PM

Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013

My wife and I are planning to fly from Manchester in the UK in early Spring 2013 to spend 2 weeks in the Deep South. We've travelled a lot around the USA, but this will be our first in the southern states apart from one night each in Atlanta, Charleston and Nashville. We're planning on flying into Austin, Texas, then driving to San Antonio. Then we'll either drive to somewhere on the coast (suggestions please) partway to Baton Rouge or Lafayette, or we'll take a short flight into Louisiana where we'd like to see New Orleans. So far so good. But we've never experienced Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas so we're thinking of a drive through AL and MS, up to Memphis and across to Little Rock (or maybe there are better places in Arkansas). We fly home from Little Rock. Now, here's the rub. I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas. Can anyone come up with some good places to visit? We'd like to experience country, cajun and blues music. Also local food, shopping, maybe a historical site like a civil war museum, art galleries and one of the plantations.

Littleman Jun 11th, 2012 11:41 AM

You will enjoy staying in Lafayette and visit Cajun Country. Stay in the FQ in New Orleans and walk to all the attractions. Head N to historic Natchez, MS when you leave NOLA. Stop in Vicksburg and visit the National Military Park. Drive N on # 61 to Clarksdale home of the blues. You aren't far from Memphis. Stay downtown and visit Beale Street. Head W on I 40 to LR. Be sure to try the Memphis BBQ.

VISIT THE DELTA......
http://www.visitthedelta.com/

MS BLUES TRAIL........
http://www.msbluestrail.org/

CAJUN COUNTRY.............
http://www.fodors.com/pdf/fodors-cajun-country.pdf
http://www.theind.com/cover-story/92...d-its-not-mine

Gretchen Jun 11th, 2012 01:18 PM

Is there a special reason for starting in Texas? And Little Rock?
I'd just have to say you really haven't done the Southeast coast justice with one night in Charleston. But there is a lot to experience and enjoy in Alabama and Mississippi, particularly along the coast of Alabama and maybe the Florida panhandle.

jaguar7777777 Jun 11th, 2012 02:35 PM

Gretchen, We'd like to see Austin and San Antonio, plus possibly somewhere on the coast as long as it's not still recovering from Katrina. Little Rock is reasonably close to Memphis and we'd like to tick off Arkansas as the 32nd state we'll have visited on our way to No.50!
Thank you Littleman, your suggestions look great.

spirobulldog Jun 11th, 2012 03:17 PM

You will be suprised to find really good natural beauty in Arkansas. I have visited both Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Shenandoah National Park for the past two weeks. Yes, they are bigger and probably better year-round than AR. That said, when the waterfalls are flowing(from Dec-May), I think Arkansas is really far far better. It's a mini Columbia River Gorge. It is also good for a 2 week period around the last of Oct. The parks I mentioned are super crowded. You will find just a few people on the trails in AR.

The very best is the Buffalo National River(our nations first). I can give you several awesome hikes there, if you are interested. The negative-it depends on the weather. I would say there is a 10-20% chance of snow during that time, and you simply cannot travel in Arkansas like you can other states. If we get 2 inches of snow, schools close down for 3 or 4 days usually. It's just a different type of snow.

Petit Jean, Mount Magazine, Mount Nebo are all excellent State Parks.

Crystal Bridges Museum is worth a stop. Bill Clinton Library is too.

I haven't done much in Alabama or Miss. Iv'e been through there many times, just not that much that I can find to do there. I would for sure do Natchez though. Plantation home are great there, as well as on The River Road near New Orleans.
You will find good "southern" food there. The real deal is often found in hole in the wall type places.

Gretchen Jun 11th, 2012 05:17 PM

Well, if you're just clicking off states, have at it. Click off Mississippi and Alabama. I don't even want to do that in Europe with the distances being so small.
AND I'll say our kids have lived in San Antonio, and Austin--but it's a "hike" to get there because, well, it IS "Texas".
So, now that we understand you are only wanting to "touch" states in the USA to say you've been there, we can make very good recommendations. It doesn't have to be "much" to satisfy you apparently.
Sorry, this is pretty unsatisfying for someone who likes to travel to Europe to really "see" the land and experience "something".
The Texas Gulf coast is not even where Katrina happened--now 6 years ago. That WAS NOLA, and it is well, just go see.
I should say that I worked for a wonderful man from Manchester, and if I went to see 'his' town, I'd spend some time to enjoy it.
Have a good time. I find it odd.

spirobulldog Jun 11th, 2012 05:37 PM

Gretchen,

A lot of people visit New Orleans. A lot of people visit the south. A lot of people have a desire to check off all 50 states. Met one just yesterday that had done just that. He was 25 year old totally disabled person in a wheel chair.

So, to maybe spend a week in Louisianna and then perhaps another week in 3 states(even though they may or may not have that much to do in those states), isn't that unusual.

I think the poster probably was looking for a few ideas. We have really enjoyed our visits in AR(we live in Oklahoma, so go there often).

I have visited probably 42 or 43 states. Checking of the rest isn't a high priority to me, but given the opportunity, I certainly would do so.

jaguar7777777 Jun 12th, 2012 09:35 AM

Gretchen, we all have ambitions and even though you find it 'odd', this is one of mine. I find your unfriendly reply odd, but there again we're all different aren't we?
I thought Galveston was blasted by the hurricane but I bow to your superior knowledge.

Thanks for your suggestions Spiro.

ggreen Jun 12th, 2012 10:41 AM

jaguar, you could drive from New Orleans along the Gulf Coast of MS and AL, then head inland towards Memphis. The Gulf Coast is pretty and relaxing, even post-Katrina, with plenty of good food. It takes a little over an hour to drive from N.O. to the MS border.

However, I'd also want to send you to Natchez for plantations and a charming town, and I'm not sure how to combine the two! Natchez is the southernmost point on the old Natchez Trace road to Memphis, which is really pleasant to drive.

Vicksburg, MS has a large civil war memorial site and other tourist-friendly attractions.

You might get some more ideas from this thread, for the bits of your trip that overlap with theirs...
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...elp-please.cfm

BigRuss Jun 12th, 2012 02:46 PM

Galveston and Houston took it hard from a different hurricane - Ike, and that was in '08, not '05.

Dunno what a "hike" from Austin to San Antonio means. Last check, they're about 80 miles apart. In Texas, that's equivalent to the same neighborhood and far shorter than Philly to NYC.

If you drive the river road from New Orleans to Natchez or parts thereof, consider St. Francisville, LA - nice small town near a lot of large and interesting plantations (Rosedown, Butler-Greenwood, The Myrtles), and also close to the (formerly) worst prison in the US, the Louisiana State Penitentiary (aka Angola) which is the largest maximum security penitentiary in the United States and has a very interesting museum and approach to its residents. You do NOT go into the penitentiary itself.

jaguar7777777 Jun 13th, 2012 12:51 AM

Thanks ggreen and BigRuss. Very helpful posts. I think I just need to add that we've been travelling to the States for nearly 30 years now and we've spent a lot of time travelling around, so we're not simply 'ticking them off' as one person has put it. We ended our 2012 holiday with a few days in Fort Worth which we enjoyed, so we thought it would be nice to see a bit more of Texas. I think we'll probably save time after Austin and San Antonio by taking a short flight to Louisiana. That way we'll see more of the southern states. We'll have 11 days to see New Orleans, Lafayette, AL, MS, Memphis and Little Rock.

ggreen Jun 13th, 2012 06:36 AM

I thought about it a bit more, and came up with a route that would give you access to the "river road" BigRuss mentioned; Natchez and a bit of the Trace; Vicksburg; Gulf Coast; up through AL to Birmingham; then the northeastern corner of MS* through Tupelo and Oxford; continuing on to Memphis and then Little Rock. So you'd get a taste of the parts of MS that I mentioned before without the backtracking I was worried about.

I hope this google maps link works!
http://tinyurl.com/6okhmmv

* From Birmingham, I routed continuing northwest, but you could head southwest instead through Tuscaloosa and reach Meridian and Philadelphia, MS - or even see those two MS towns on your drive between Jackson and Biloxi. Of course, do some research on these towns to see what might interest you. :)

// FWIW, I have spent time on the MS coast when my sister has lived there. On one of my visits, we took a trip from Biloxi to Vicksburg and Natchez (didn't stop in Jackson). Day 1 drove to Vicksburg / night there; Day 2 saw the civil war site, lunch, then headed south on the Trace; followed by two nights in Natchez. Of course each one of these places could use more time, but we felt we saw a good amount without feeling rushed.

If you're interested in the MS Gulf Coast, you could base in Gulfport or Biloxi for a few nights and easily travel west to Bay St. Louis/Waveland and east to Ocean Springs/Pascagoula: the distances are short and the drive straightforward...

jill_h Jun 13th, 2012 11:07 AM

From Austin, if you head east along Hwy. 290, you can visit Brenham (where they make Blue Bell Homemade Ice Cream -- yummy!!!); then head south on Hwy. 77 to I-10 to Schulenburg, to see the Painted Churches.

In the Florida panhandle, Fort Walton Beach/Destin area has beautiful white soft sand beaches.

One night each in Atlanta, Charleston or Nashville is not enough. I think it would just whet your appetite. :) If you do stay in Charleston, stay in the Historic District.

By the way - FQ is the French Quarter in New Orleans.

jaguar7777777 Jun 13th, 2012 01:11 PM

Thanks again. The map is really helpful ggreen! I'm thinking I'd also like a night in either Lafayette or Baton Rouge after 2 nights in New Orleans. Then 1 night in Natchez, 1 in Jackson, 1 in Mobile/Biloxi, then I'd want to stop somewhere in between there and Memphis (suggestions please, it's too far to drive in one day otherwise). Then 2 nights in Memphis, 2 nights Little Rock. I did think that the Blues club in Clarksdale would be "do-able" but maybe I'll have to think again.

ggreen Jun 13th, 2012 01:40 PM

I'm glad the map worked!

You'd need someone more experienced about AL than me (or a guide book!), but timing-wise, you could make a stop in Birmingham. Or if that part of AL doesn't interest you as much, you could head north from Biloxi or Mobile to the northeast section of MS. Look into Philadelphia, Tupelo, Oxford... all places with interesting things but none I can comment on personally as I've not (yet!) made it there.

I don't know how familiar you are with google maps, so here are some tips:
<b>•</b> Hover over the purple route line until a white circle displays. Using that circle, you can now drag the line and it will "snap" to roadways and recalculate the directions.
<b>•</b> Likewise, you can drag the lettered destination points to a new destination. Or to add a new destination, right-click where you want it to be and choose that option.
<b>•</b> To copy the URL of the resulting map, click the "link" icon in the upper right corner of the text directions area.
<b>•</b> You also can save your routes. Sign into an existing gmail account or create one for yourself. (They're free and are useful for things like this even if you never use the email - which I don't.) Once you're signed in, click the "Save to My Maps" link at the bottom of the text directions. You can name your route, change the way the icons look, and edit descriptive information. Then they're easily available on the go! (Smartphone, etc.)
<b>•</b> To create a new map - for example for other parts of your trip - go to maps.google.com, click Get Directions, then enter your destinations. (Click the little Add Destination link to increase the number of fields.)

Gretchen Jun 13th, 2012 03:39 PM

The subsequent 'conversation" was much better. You've been often--you want to explore. One night in charleston isn't an "explore" to me. Also, you said you don't see much in Alabama, etc. There's a LOT. We don't need to revisit the whole thing BUT it seemed different from what you are now revealing.
I hope you'll go back to the southeast coast.
San Antonio is a fun town.
Have fun

jill_h Jun 14th, 2012 11:04 AM

In Louisiana, there is Avery Island where they make Tabasco sauce. This may be a unique stop for you Brits. :)

http://www.tabasco.com/avery-island/

DejaDeb Oct 8th, 2012 08:58 AM

Alabama here, LOL! Just wanted to add to the map provided by ggreen: continue up I-65 to at least Cullman, AL, and visit the Ava Maria Grotto http://www.avemariagrotto.com/ -- it's like nothing you've ever seen or are likely to see again!

If you are so inclined, keep continuing up to Huntsville, AL, and visit the Space & Rocket center: http://rocketcenter.com/ It's pretty interesting! From there, you can continue to Memphis via US 72, driving through Muscle Shoals and Florence, AL. Very pretty country; but then again, I live in northern Alabama! :-)

nanabee Oct 8th, 2012 04:03 PM

We did a road trip thru the south years ago with our (then) young daughters. We had a great time.

We started in New Orleans, went up to Vicksburg, Mississippi (and enjoyed the Civil War Museum and battlefield). We then went along the Natchez Trace (the beautiful highway where we saw all sorts of wild-life). I wish we had spent a little more time in Alabama but we continued into Georgia and loved the beautiful cities of Athens and Savannah. We also loved Charleston in South Carolina. One of our favorite places surprisingly was Pensicola, Florida (which is in the panhandle).

jaguar7777777 Oct 14th, 2012 10:39 AM

Thanks for your replies. Keep them coming!