Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mexico City Solo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mexico-city-solo-686406/)

DCGuy73 Mar 9th, 2007 11:17 AM

Mexico City Solo?

I have found this board to be tremendously helpful in the past - so hoping someone can help me with this. I have been thinking about a solo long weekend in Mexico City but am a little scared off by all the safety concerns. Is the crime really that bad or can the city be enjoyed with the usual big city precautions? If I stayed in the Polocano or Condessa districts would I be safe in walking to nightlife/restaurants by myself at night or is a cab a necessity?

Thanks.

Stewbear Mar 9th, 2007 02:13 PM

Please read the trip port just a couple of spots down.

marilynl Mar 9th, 2007 03:24 PM

Stew is referring to the Mexico City trip report from ilove2travel, but this is by a couple, and they don't appear to have really done nightlife. But yes, I think you could do fine solo in Polanco and probably in Condessa too but I am less familiar with it.

As more articles appear in mainstream travel publications about how hip and cool Mexico City is--Bon Appetite, New York Times, Conde Nast Traveler come to mind--maybe Mexico City will reclaim the hordes of American tourists you used to see there years ago. I wouldn't necessarily recommend solo late-night walking in Zona Rosa or Centro, but Polanco has tons of bright, well-traveled areas full of revelers. Yes, you do need to use normal big city precautions, and if taking a taxi use the ones from the sitio stands.

marilynl Mar 9th, 2007 03:26 PM

OOps, it was luv2globetrot's trip report about a week in Mexico City!

chimani Mar 10th, 2007 03:22 AM

Hi there,
for sure the city can be enjoyed with all the usual big city precautions. I had absolutely no probs during daylight hours, and I walked a lot.

I stayed a couple of blocks away from the Zona Rossa last Nov and found it no problem walking alone out to eat. Not a club sort of person so don't know if that would be true if you were out LATE!!

Don't know about Polanco or Condesa - did visit Coyoacan and thought it would be nice to stay there next time - nice village feel.

But if you are only going for a weekend you might be better staying a little closer to the centre for sightseeing. It's a fair way from the areas you mention to the old centre, and the traffic is bad. Even on the metro (which is great) it would take you a while.

Just a thought!

DCGuy73 Mar 12th, 2007 10:41 AM

Thanks for everyone who has responded. I am a pretty savvy traveler but the things I read regarding crime in Mexico City had concerned me a bit.

It sounds like if I take the usual big city precautions I won't have a problem. It also sounds like the Zona Rosa might be the place to stay if I am only in the city for a weekend. Anyone have any experience with walking out at night to find a restaurant for dinner? Also, I would be interested in finding some gay nightlife - and it again sounds like the Zona Rosa may be the best area for that. Any tips or hints on places to stay and things to do?

Daniel_Williams Mar 13th, 2007 07:32 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Maria Cristina, which had an old worldy look that I liked, just the other side of the Paseo de la Reforma and about a 10-minute walk from some of the Gay nightlife in the Zona Rosa (and importantly, Insurgentes Metro to whizz around the city by subway). There are a few other hotels nearby too maybe even more central in the Zona Rosa. I travelled solo and even walked at night to meet some friends at Cabaretito, cute little Gay/Lesbian bar with musical entertainment to meet up with some friends.

And for things to do, there's so much history there with a unique flavour, it's just incredible. I would probably prioritize the Zocalo, Bellas Artes area, the Museo de Antropologia and Teotihuacan (full day trip) for a visit. Visiting the city changed my perspective forever on North American history.

I never felt in danger, but certainly the city has a crime reputation. The city felt no more dangerous to me than say Philadelphia (although much more dense crowds in places). You never know, but I think you should not let "crime" be the deciding factor in your not going.

Mexico City is an amazing place and I think what a pity if I'd let crime be a deterrent for my visiting. I say, Go, enjoy!

Dan