Search

Mexico City Solo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City Solo?

I have found this board to be tremendously helpful in the past - so hoping someone can help me with this. I have been thinking about a solo long weekend in Mexico City but am a little scared off by all the safety concerns. Is the crime really that bad or can the city be enjoyed with the usual big city precautions? If I stayed in the Polocano or Condessa districts would I be safe in walking to nightlife/restaurants by myself at night or is a cab a necessity?

Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Please read the trip port just a couple of spots down.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Stew is referring to the Mexico City trip report from ilove2travel, but this is by a couple, and they don't appear to have really done nightlife. But yes, I think you could do fine solo in Polanco and probably in Condessa too but I am less familiar with it.

As more articles appear in mainstream travel publications about how hip and cool Mexico City is--Bon Appetite, New York Times, Conde Nast Traveler come to mind--maybe Mexico City will reclaim the hordes of American tourists you used to see there years ago. I wouldn't necessarily recommend solo late-night walking in Zona Rosa or Centro, but Polanco has tons of bright, well-traveled areas full of revelers. Yes, you do need to use normal big city precautions, and if taking a taxi use the ones from the sitio stands.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM

OOps, it was luv2globetrot's trip report about a week in Mexico City!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Hi there,
for sure the city can be enjoyed with all the usual big city precautions. I had absolutely no probs during daylight hours, and I walked a lot.

I stayed a couple of blocks away from the Zona Rossa last Nov and found it no problem walking alone out to eat. Not a club sort of person so don't know if that would be true if you were out LATE!!

Don't know about Polanco or Condesa - did visit Coyoacan and thought it would be nice to stay there next time - nice village feel.

But if you are only going for a weekend you might be better staying a little closer to the centre for sightseeing. It's a fair way from the areas you mention to the old centre, and the traffic is bad. Even on the metro (which is great) it would take you a while.

Just a thought!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone who has responded. I am a pretty savvy traveler but the things I read regarding crime in Mexico City had concerned me a bit.

It sounds like if I take the usual big city precautions I won't have a problem. It also sounds like the Zona Rosa might be the place to stay if I am only in the city for a weekend. Anyone have any experience with walking out at night to find a restaurant for dinner? Also, I would be interested in finding some gay nightlife - and it again sounds like the Zona Rosa may be the best area for that. Any tips or hints on places to stay and things to do?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Maria Cristina, which had an old worldy look that I liked, just the other side of the Paseo de la Reforma and about a 10-minute walk from some of the Gay nightlife in the Zona Rosa (and importantly, Insurgentes Metro to whizz around the city by subway). There are a few other hotels nearby too maybe even more central in the Zona Rosa. I travelled solo and even walked at night to meet some friends at Cabaretito, cute little Gay/Lesbian bar with musical entertainment to meet up with some friends.

And for things to do, there's so much history there with a unique flavour, it's just incredible. I would probably prioritize the Zocalo, Bellas Artes area, the Museo de Antropologia and Teotihuacan (full day trip) for a visit. Visiting the city changed my perspective forever on North American history.

I never felt in danger, but certainly the city has a crime reputation. The city felt no more dangerous to me than say Philadelphia (although much more dense crowds in places). You never know, but I think you should not let "crime" be the deciding factor in your not going.

Mexico City is an amazing place and I think what a pity if I'd let crime be a deterrent for my visiting. I say, Go, enjoy!

Dan