Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cruising to Patagonia (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cruising-to-patagonia-14933/)

Rona Mendelsohn Jun 12th, 1997 05:49 AM

Cruising to Patagonia

Does anyone have information about the best cruises around the cape of South America in late January/early February 1998? I'm taking my 88-year-old mother, so the accommodations must be comfortable. What will the weather be like?

Peter Amelunxen Jun 21st, 1997 01:06 PM

I'm making my plans for a trip in December to Torre del Paine National park in Patagonia-- no cruises though. But here's what I've found so far:
February is very busy month, summer vacations for the Chileans and Argentinians and everybody else. Make your reservations early. From what I hear, Torre del Paine is the favourite spot on land; you can touch the glaciers instead of watching them. Check if your trip includes a port stop in Punta Arenas, the park is few hours in car from there.

The beaches in the north (Valparaiso, Concepcion, etc.) get VERY crowded that time of year.

Have a good time.

Pete

Victor Beelik Aug 19th, 1997 11:35 AM

There is a 7 day cruise from Punta Arenas on the small cruise ship Australis. The cruise ttransitsts the straights of Magellan and the Beagle Chanel.

Hernán Moya Sep 6th, 1997 04:46 PM

there is a cruise company who works at the patagonic channels. Its internet homepage is www.australis.com They have a small cruise ship but very comfortable

Carlos D. Cid Sep 16th, 1997 09:08 AM

Dear Rona;
there is a travel-broker who made travel arrangements for me and my friends on trip like the one you are planning to have early next year.
should you find it suitable, I can provide you their phone and address or ask them to contact you, whatever you wish. Regards. Carlos

Greg Lawrence Dec 10th, 1997 02:38 AM

Orient Cruise Lines ship the Marco Polo offers the best standard of accomodation. It is a full blown cruise ship with ice strenghtened hull that cruises Antarctica and also rounds cape Horn. Better move fast as it books up a long time in advance, you may get a cancellation spot.

Greg Lawrence Dec 10th, 1997 02:38 AM

Orient Cruise Lines ship the Marco Polo offers the best standard of accomodation. It is a full blown cruise ship with ice strenghtened hull that cruises Antarctica and also rounds cape Horn. Better move fast as it books up a long time in advance, you may get a cancellation spot.

santiago Jun 28th, 2000 10:11 AM

Updating the issue for the knowledge of other interested people. I think Patagonia region and specially Torres del Paine Park and also cruises on this zone offer amazing landscapes and adventures. <BR>For specific information do not hesitate to contact me.

Jill Jun 28th, 2000 01:27 PM

I'm so happy to hear that Orient Lines (Marco Polo) does this itinerary! I have had wonderful experiences with the Marco Polo! Thanks...Jill