Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to go in Europe between Christmas and New Year? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-go-in-europe-between-christmas-and-new-year-644280/)

windance Sep 4th, 2006 06:59 PM

Where to go in Europe between Christmas and New Year?

I have the opportunity to get away for that week, but want to make sure that I choose a destination that will not have many museums closed and/or offer only limited shopping (except, of course, on Christmas Day). Musical performances would be an added plus. What would others suggest?

sheila Sep 4th, 2006 11:52 PM

Edinburgh

kdcwood Sep 5th, 2006 03:14 AM

Salzburg and Vienna. I've been in both during that week. It's lovely that time of year and lots to do-- including musical performances.

Kathy

windance Sep 6th, 2006 04:33 AM

ttt

velevele Sep 6th, 2006 04:56 AM

This is one of my favorite times of year to travel. From the way you posed the question, I'm assuming you're mainly interested in cities. I've had good experiences during this week in Prague (many musical performances available, especially in churches) and Vienna, and also in London, with the caveat that Dec 26th in London is almost as bad as the 25th in terms of things being closed (although at least the tube runs on the 26th). Certain things are open on the 26th, however, such as Kew Gardens and the Globe Theater and musuem, as well as a few others. If you are looking at the US, then I can also recommend Chicago for that week.

I'm not a shopper so can't help with that.

Good luck! I love traveling at that time.

Felly Sep 6th, 2006 05:39 AM

I spent that week in Vienna, and it was fantastic, if cold. If you decide to go, try to get a seat at a performance at the Staatsoper. They'll probably have Die Fledermaus, a quintessential New Year's in Vienna operetta, which was amazing to see there. But book your performance tickets as soon as you buy the airfare, because they sell out really quickly.

carylspall Sep 6th, 2006 06:42 AM

I would LOVE to go to Vienna at that time!

crefloors Sep 6th, 2006 07:30 AM

I was in Copenhagen between Christmas and New Years last year. It was beautiful with all the Christmas decorations up. They had a huge snow storm starting the day before we arrived and continued the day we arrived..in fact we were the next to last plane to land before they closed the airport, so it was especially beautiful. That amount of snow WAS unusual for Copenhagen. It was cold but I was dressed for it so really enjoyed it all. The Christmas market at Tivoli was still open so that made a fun afternoon. It was very fun and New Years was nuts!!!! Bunches of drunk Danes setting of fireworks all over the square and else where. These were the "big guns"..ALL forworks are legal in Denmark so these guys were setting off stuff you see during 4th of July celebrations here..could NOT believe it!!!!! We gave all that a wide birth but did enjoy seeing all of it.

Gitta Sep 6th, 2006 08:56 AM

Paris is lovely during the Christmas, New Years week....fireworks over the Eiffel tower, wonderful shopping, Christmas lights on the Champs-Élysées, avenue Montaigne, and boulevard Haussmann.
There are also free concerts in many of the churches. There are ice skating rinks set up on the first level of the Eiffel Tower as well. Midnight mass at Notre Dame Cathedral is spectacular. The museums will be open, some even on Christmas Day. There's a small publication - PariScope that comes out on Tuesday's that lists all the events for the week, pick it up at a local newstand.

Have fun where ever you go!