Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go in Europe between Christmas and New Year?

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opportunity to get away for that week, but want to make sure that I choose a destination that will not have many museums closed and/or offer only limited shopping (except, of course, on Christmas Day). Musical performances would be an added plus. What would others suggest?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Edinburgh
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:14 AM
kdcwood

Salzburg and Vienna. I've been in both during that week. It's lovely that time of year and lots to do-- including musical performances.

Kathy

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM

This is one of my favorite times of year to travel. From the way you posed the question, I'm assuming you're mainly interested in cities. I've had good experiences during this week in Prague (many musical performances available, especially in churches) and Vienna, and also in London, with the caveat that Dec 26th in London is almost as bad as the 25th in terms of things being closed (although at least the tube runs on the 26th). Certain things are open on the 26th, however, such as Kew Gardens and the Globe Theater and musuem, as well as a few others. If you are looking at the US, then I can also recommend Chicago for that week.

I'm not a shopper so can't help with that.

Good luck! I love traveling at that time.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM

I spent that week in Vienna, and it was fantastic, if cold. If you decide to go, try to get a seat at a performance at the Staatsoper. They'll probably have Die Fledermaus, a quintessential New Year's in Vienna operetta, which was amazing to see there. But book your performance tickets as soon as you buy the airfare, because they sell out really quickly.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM

I would LOVE to go to Vienna at that time!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I was in Copenhagen between Christmas and New Years last year. It was beautiful with all the Christmas decorations up. They had a huge snow storm starting the day before we arrived and continued the day we arrived..in fact we were the next to last plane to land before they closed the airport, so it was especially beautiful. That amount of snow WAS unusual for Copenhagen. It was cold but I was dressed for it so really enjoyed it all. The Christmas market at Tivoli was still open so that made a fun afternoon. It was very fun and New Years was nuts!!!! Bunches of drunk Danes setting of fireworks all over the square and else where. These were the "big guns"..ALL forworks are legal in Denmark so these guys were setting off stuff you see during 4th of July celebrations here..could NOT believe it!!!!! We gave all that a wide birth but did enjoy seeing all of it.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Paris is lovely during the Christmas, New Years week....fireworks over the Eiffel tower, wonderful shopping, Christmas lights on the Champs-Élysées, avenue Montaigne, and boulevard Haussmann.
There are also free concerts in many of the churches. There are ice skating rinks set up on the first level of the Eiffel Tower as well. Midnight mass at Notre Dame Cathedral is spectacular. The museums will be open, some even on Christmas Day. There's a small publication - PariScope that comes out on Tuesday's that lists all the events for the week, pick it up at a local newstand.

Have fun where ever you go!