Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Virgin Atlantic is a nightmare (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/virgin-atlantic-is-a-nightmare-902960/)

tinyteacup Aug 16th, 2011 03:56 PM

Virgin Atlantic is a nightmare

I booked a trip several weeks ago but I cannot get a seat until 24 hours before because they only let a limited number of seats be booked beforehand. I will never ever fly them again. I am not on the flight and they are already aggravating me

walkabout Aug 16th, 2011 05:08 PM

My experience is that except for the discount airlines that assign seats on a first-come first-served basis day of flight, most, if not all, airlines only allow a certain number of seats to be chosen beforehand, not just Virgin Atlantic.

I have been able to get my first preference of a window seat at check-in, so don't assume that you will be stuck with a middle seat or something else undesirable. There's a good chance you will be able to get a good seat 24 hours ahead of time.

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2011 05:16 PM

In that case you won;t be flying much - since every airline does this. they set aside a bunch of their most favorable seats so they can give them to the most frequent flyers when they turn up. If they don;t turn up then everyone gets a shot at them.

To have your best choice try to pick a seat exactly 24 hours before the flight takes off. If you can't get what you want that way get to the airport early - for the best choice of last-released seats.

sassy_cat Aug 16th, 2011 06:04 PM

This is a storm in a 'tinyteacup'!

tinyteacup Aug 16th, 2011 06:53 PM

Sassy cat I love it! I have never had this happen to me before and I usually fly foreign carriers. When did this start happening?

tinyteacup Aug 16th, 2011 06:53 PM

Sassy cat I love it! I have never had this happen to me before and I usually fly foreign carriers. When did this start happening?

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2011 07:01 PM

This has been gong on for at least 10 years - and agree it's a storm in a VERY tiny teacup.

janisj Aug 16th, 2011 07:10 PM

"<i>booked a trip several weeks ago but I cannot get a seat until 24 hours before because they only let a limited number of seats be booked beforehand. I will never ever fly them again. I am not on the flight and they are already aggravating me</i>"

Just try flying British Airways!!

Your rant/complaint does sound like a hissy fit. When I read your headline I assumed it was because of a delayed or canceled flight or lost luggage or something that matters.

MANY (not all but LOTS) of airlines do this - some have done it for years.

walkabout Aug 16th, 2011 07:12 PM

I have been running into this for years. It's really not as bad as you think. As I said, you will probably still be able to get a good seat. Maybe this article will help. Scroll down to "10 Ways to get a Better Seat."

http://www.independenttraveler.com/r...=17&category=1

janisj Aug 16th, 2011 07:47 PM

Oh --and just be glad Virgin will let you select a seat 24hrs ahead. Many won't until you are at the airport check in desk . . .

tinyteacup Aug 16th, 2011 07:55 PM

I dont like to fly so I like to get an aisle seat. Maybe I have been lucky or book very far in advance so I have not had a problem.

bilboburgler Aug 16th, 2011 11:53 PM

I've been flying cheepo lines and full service flights a lot recently and the service levels of full service companies is frankly pathetic. I just had to check into Swiss Air and took far longer than using Jet2.com, the seat selection was on the day I booked with Jet2 or within 23 hours of Swiss air. It just goes on and on, when will the big/expensive carriers catch up with the cheepo companies?

spaarne Aug 17th, 2011 12:09 AM

Not so with Delta. I can select or change my seat weeks ahead.

I suspect that Virgin may be doing this because they don't know what equipment they are flying until the day before the flight. Configurations on the various Airbus and Boeing planes are different.

Lifeman Aug 17th, 2011 12:44 AM

We flew Virgin Atlantic last November, never had a problem with the 24 hour booking window and got the seats online that we wanted.

They are one of the better, if not best airlines flying across the Atlantic. I've always found them to be reliable with decent food and good service. No I don't work for them or know anyone who does!

avalon Aug 17th, 2011 01:28 AM

BA does the same, Unless you pay $30.00 each to pre-book a seat! Don't complain you are flying direct . Just set you alarm for 24 hours out of yourflight time.

Ackislander Aug 17th, 2011 03:36 AM

Seat assignments on any airline are only an acknowledgement of your preferences, not a guarantee that you will have a particular seat.

qwovadis Aug 17th, 2011 03:52 AM

airlinequality.com Virgin Air

they are fine from past experience at least you are not paying

those ginormous fake "fuel surcharges" BA.com charges big rip

Lots of airlines do this unless you have FF status with them

and sometimes even then unless you pay extra just relax odds

are overwhelming you will get a great seat FFs get preference

seatexpert.com seatguru.com go for an exit best

if you are in coach.

amelie Aug 17th, 2011 11:39 AM

Never had to do that before, always picked seat during booking months or weeks ahead. Always fly Continental

opus Aug 17th, 2011 04:41 PM

Virgin hold many seats back until they are released 24 hours prior—watch the clock and hop on to the seat allocation for your flight and you'll have lots of choice. If you're not sure which seats to choose—try V Flyer's seat mapping (and guide to all things Virgin). I fly Virgin routinely and have seldom had trouble getting my seat of choice—if they're all booked, I get to the airport early and ask again. Depending on load and flight origin (which affects which aircraft) you should be able to score a window.
relax and enjoy the flight (don't fall asleep when the ice cream comes around!).
—amelie—Virgin codeshare with Continental...so same conundrum there.

PeaceOut Aug 17th, 2011 04:57 PM

Reading all the responses, I think it is grossly incorrect to label Virgin Atlantic a "nightmare".

Their seat assignment practice seems to be fairly common, and many posters like the airline in general. Maybe the OP should ask for the thread to be pulled.