Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two days in Laussane, Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-days-in-laussane-switzerland-290643/)

tates Feb 19th, 2003 11:56 PM

Two days in Laussane, Switzerland

I am travelling with my husband on his business trip and have two days in Laussane by myself. Do anyone of you fodorite have suggestions on places I can visit, restaurants I can each lunch and shops I can browse. This is my first trip to Switzerland and we fly to Rome after our two days stay. We leave for Europe in three days!<BR>Thank you in advance for any suggestions made.

Ursula Feb 20th, 2003 12:12 AM

Hello Tates,<BR>Well, I think Lausanne is worth two days. Personally, I highly recommend the charming small museum Fondation de l'Hermitage from where you will have a wonderful view.<BR>www.fondation-hermitage.ch<BR>You might also want to visit the Olympic Museum and stroll around the old town where you will discover a lot of nice small shops. Most of the old town is a pedestrian area and be prepared to walking up and down all the time.<BR>You shouldn't have difficulties finding charming places for lunch. Sorry, I am not an expert when it comes to Lausanne's restaurants. But on a recent business stay at the Hotel Alpha-Palmiers****, we had a wonderful dinner at their Thai restaurant. The hotel/restaurant is located on Rue du Petit-Ch&ecirc;ne in the old town. <BR>With nice weather, you could go on a small cruise on the Lake Leman. I would assume they run, also at this time of the year.<BR>From the train station, take the little funiculaire down to Ouchy (at the lakeside) and visit the Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace for tea.<BR>I suggest, you have a look at Lausanne's web site for more suggestions. I do not know, what particularly interests you.<BR>Right now, it's pretty cold in Switzerland. I am not sure about Lausanne, but there might be some snow left like here in Zurich. Very pretty, as soon as the sun comes out.<BR>Here is the web site of the Lausanne Tourist Board which includes an English version:<BR>www.lausanne-tourisme.ch<BR><BR>Have fun, in Lausanne and Rome!

tates Feb 20th, 2003 12:54 AM

Hi ursula, thanks for the response. I will look include the museum you recommend to my itinerary. I'm wondering if its possible to take a cruise around the lake around this time and have you heard of the Chillian castle? Is it close to Laussane and worth a trip?

Ursula Feb 20th, 2003 01:05 AM

Tates, just found out that the Olympic Museum is closed on Mondays!<BR>Anyway, I suppose you mean the Ch&acirc;teau de Chillon outside Montreux. Well, personally, I am not a big fan of it. But I think, mosts tourists like it.<BR>You would have to go to Montreux (just a short trip, some 30 min.) by train and then take a bus or walk. Incidentally, it's a very pretty walk along the lakeside and would be wonderful to get over your jet lag. ;o) Not sure though, where you coming from.<BR>Again, you would have to enquire about the weekly closed day. I would assume, you'll find some tourist brochures at your hotel with information for Lausanne and the neighbourhoods, also, whether the boats run. I would say yes, but on a limited winter schedule.<BR>A very pretty town to explore I recommend is Vevey, where Ch. Chaplin used to live. Even closer to Lausanne and livelier than Montreux which can be pretty dull during winter.<BR>Here, you can find more info on the Chillon Castle:<BR>www.chillon.ch

hike Feb 20th, 2003 02:35 AM

Ch&acirc;teau de Chillon closes only 2 days a year, 1st jan and 25th dec, their brocher says. <BR><BR>Keep in mind : the last entry is 16.00 till 28 Feb and 17.00 in March. Once inside, you can stay 1 hour from that time.

hike Feb 20th, 2003 02:38 AM

How about a return boat trip to Evian, France from Ouchy-Lausanne? There supposed to be a border in the lake.

swandav2000 Feb 20th, 2003 04:12 AM

Hi tates!<BR><BR>I'll also suggest you take a look at the vineyards between Lausanne &amp; Vevey. Take the train to Vevey and connect to a train up to Chexbres. From Chexbres, just walk *downhill* and you'll find yourself in Rivaz. It's a delightful &amp; very scenic route. In Rivaz, have lunch at the Auberge de Rivaz across the street from the lake.<BR><BR>By the way, the website for the ferry service is www.cgn.ch, where you can research schedules &amp; fares. You can easily combine a ferry trip with the excursion to the vineyards -- returning to Lausanne/Ouchy from the dock at Rivaz or St. Saphorin.<BR><BR>This is a beautiful area -- have a great time!!<BR><BR>s

tates Feb 20th, 2003 04:15 AM

hi ursula: I'll be coming from Paris. Strolling around the old town looks more appealing than the castle after visiting their website. Might do the lake cruise though. I like going to shops that sell kitchen stuff. Any recommendation? Eating Fondue sounds great too!<BR><BR>hi Hike: Thanks for the input. How far is Evian from Laussane. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area.

hike Feb 20th, 2003 11:47 AM

Hi tates,<BR><BR>Ouchy-Lausanne to Evian is 35 min to 45 minutes depending on the boat you take, 8 of them a day in February. I was not sure so I checked on www.cgn.ch. There should be naturally 8 of them for Evian to Ouchy-Lausanne, I suppose. A boat ride to Vevey-Montreux sounds nice too as well as strolling around very walkable not such a vast old town of Lausanne.

tates Feb 20th, 2003 01:34 PM

Hi! tried the site for CGN but it was in French! I don't know the language. Anyhow, at least I'm aware of the company and will just make inquiries when I arrive in Laussane. Thank you all!

xxx30 Feb 20th, 2003 03:05 PM

take the train to gstaad,they speak german.Ski if you like or at least take a lift to the summit and have a lunch over looking the Alps.The ride up and back is well worth it.

Ursula Feb 20th, 2003 11:09 PM

<BR>Tates, the Tourist Office has a location in the great hall of the train station. You will be able to get all necessary information for sightseeing, boat trips, etc. there.<BR>Although Gstaad is lovely, forget about it with your short stay. You'll be enough busy in Lausanne and its sourrounding area.