Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TRAVEL TO ZURICH (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travel-to-zurich-235118/)

C. THOMAS Jun 28th, 2002 06:18 AM

TRAVEL TO ZURICH

I AM TRAVELING TO ZURICH THE WEEK OF AUGUST 5TH. THIS IS MY FIRST INTERNATIONAL TRIP. I AM TRAVELING ALONE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HOTELS RECOMMENDATIONS.I LOOKING AT STAYING AT THE ST GOTTHARD HOTEL ON BAHNHOFSTRASSE. WHAT IS THE WEATHERLIKE THERE? <BR>THANK YOU<BR>CTHOMAS

Ursula Jun 28th, 2002 06:35 AM

C. Thomas. The St. Gotthard is a fine **** located on the Bahnhofstrasse, the main shopping street of Zurich. It's a fine place, nice bar and restaurant, very popular with locals too. Large side walk terrace, excellent for people watching.<BR>However, it's a large business hotel (some 150 rooms). It would not be my first choice.<BR>www.hotelstgotthard.ch<BR><BR>Weatherwi se, mostly very hot (around 30 C) with scattered showers though.<BR><BR>If you want further information, check Zurich's excellent web page:<BR>www.zurichtourism.ch<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Come back if you want specific info, however I am off for the weekend now.

Mr. Go Jun 28th, 2002 06:52 AM

C. Thomas...<BR>Please, don't type in ALL CAPS. It is considered shouting, and unpolite on discussion boards.<BR><BR>How long is your stay? From Zurich, you can reach many interesting destinations as day-trips...such as Lucerne, Stein-am-Rein, Bern, Interlaken. The train system is wonderfully efficient. Have fun!

Leslie Jun 28th, 2002 07:04 AM

I stayed at the Sofitel for one night while in Zurich 3 years ago. It's about a block from the train station. It's a wonderful hotel, but a bit on the pricy side. I was exhausted from the overnight flight from the US, but the bed was extremely comfortable, with a great duvet and pillows. And, there was a lot of hot water, great bathroom, with shower and tub, lots of little amenities, including a hair dryer. Also, breakfast is included, and its quite substantial.

Mr. Go Jun 28th, 2002 10:01 AM

Dear Mr. Go,<BR>I am very sorry for shouting. I'm very new to the computer and internet world.<BR>Thank you for the information.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Ursula Jun 28th, 2002 10:07 AM

Hello Ursula,<BR>What other hotels would you suggest that are located on the same street as the St. Gotthard? I will be in Zurich for 3 days.<BR><BR>Thank You

Ursula Jun 29th, 2002 05:28 AM

C. Thomas: Well, right on the Bahnhofstrasse, there is just one other hotel, the Schweizerhof****, same type of business hotel just slightly smaller and about the same rates.<BR>If you want to stay in the business area, close to main train station, shops, etc., I suggest:<BR><BR>Hotel Central ****<BR>www.europeanhotelscom/centralplaza<BR><BR>City Hotel***<BR>www.hotelcity.ch<BR><BR>Hotel Seidenhof***<BR>www.seidenhof.ch<BR><BR>If you prefer to stay in the old part of the city or the part where most restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. are around:<BR><BR>Hotel Scheuble***<BR>www.scheuble.ch<BR><BR>Hotel Ruetli***<BR>www.rutli.ch<BR><BR>If you are looking for something small and cozy (however, these two hotels are not as centrally located, but still convenient):<BR><BR>Hotel Tiefenau****<BR>www.tiefenau.ch <BR><BR>Romantikhotel Florhof***<BR>www.romantikhotels.com/zuerich<BR><BR>Hotel Seegarten***<BR>www.hotel-seegarten.ch<BR><BR>Check on the web pages, whether they have A/C. You might want it in August.<BR>

just curious Jul 3rd, 2002 09:19 PM

I'm just wondering why the answer posted above (by Ursala) appears to be answering a question posted BY Ursala?

Ursula Jul 3rd, 2002 10:46 PM

C. Thomas seems to be a newbie here and filled in my name instead of his. Just my guess. Never mind.<BR>But where is C. Thomas, anyway?

yodel Jul 4th, 2002 07:30 AM

If you've got cash to burn, try the Hotel Widder - it's a very trendy place in one of Europe's trendiest cities...

.C .THOMAS Jul 4th, 2002 08:44 AM

Hello Everyone,<BR>I am a newbie. I am from Chattanooga, Tennessee,U.S.A. I am a female traveling alone to Zurich,so this is a big deal to me. Thank You for information. If there are other travel tips they will be greatly appreciated.

Judi Jul 4th, 2002 09:16 AM

Hi Ms. Thomas,<BR><BR>When I travel alone I am more comfortable in a small pension than a large hotel. I will be staying at the Pension St.Josef when I am in Zurich this fall. It gets good reviews and is very reasonable. Look at: http://www.st-josef.ch/english/english.html<BR><BR>Enjoy your first trip to Europe!