TRAVEL TO ZURICH

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:18 AM
C. THOMAS

TRAVEL TO ZURICH

I AM TRAVELING TO ZURICH THE WEEK OF AUGUST 5TH. THIS IS MY FIRST INTERNATIONAL TRIP. I AM TRAVELING ALONE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HOTELS RECOMMENDATIONS.I LOOKING AT STAYING AT THE ST GOTTHARD HOTEL ON BAHNHOFSTRASSE. WHAT IS THE WEATHERLIKE THERE?
THANK YOU
CTHOMAS

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Ursula

C. Thomas. The St. Gotthard is a fine **** located on the Bahnhofstrasse, the main shopping street of Zurich. It's a fine place, nice bar and restaurant, very popular with locals too. Large side walk terrace, excellent for people watching.
However, it's a large business hotel (some 150 rooms). It would not be my first choice.
www.hotelstgotthard.ch

Weatherwise, mostly very hot (around 30 C) with scattered showers though.

If you want further information, check Zurich's excellent web page:
www.zurichtourism.ch

Hope this helps. Come back if you want specific info, however I am off for the weekend now.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Mr. Go

C. Thomas...
Please, don't type in ALL CAPS. It is considered shouting, and unpolite on discussion boards.

How long is your stay? From Zurich, you can reach many interesting destinations as day-trips...such as Lucerne, Stein-am-Rein, Bern, Interlaken. The train system is wonderfully efficient. Have fun!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Leslie

I stayed at the Sofitel for one night while in Zurich 3 years ago. It's about a block from the train station. It's a wonderful hotel, but a bit on the pricy side. I was exhausted from the overnight flight from the US, but the bed was extremely comfortable, with a great duvet and pillows. And, there was a lot of hot water, great bathroom, with shower and tub, lots of little amenities, including a hair dryer. Also, breakfast is included, and its quite substantial.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Mr. Go

Dear Mr. Go,
I am very sorry for shouting. I'm very new to the computer and internet world.
Thank you for the information.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Ursula

Hello Ursula,
What other hotels would you suggest that are located on the same street as the St. Gotthard? I will be in Zurich for 3 days.

Thank You

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Ursula

C. Thomas: Well, right on the Bahnhofstrasse, there is just one other hotel, the Schweizerhof****, same type of business hotel just slightly smaller and about the same rates.
If you want to stay in the business area, close to main train station, shops, etc., I suggest:

Hotel Central ****
www.europeanhotelscom/centralplaza

City Hotel***
www.hotelcity.ch

Hotel Seidenhof***
www.seidenhof.ch

If you prefer to stay in the old part of the city or the part where most restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. are around:

Hotel Scheuble***
www.scheuble.ch

Hotel Ruetli***
www.rutli.ch

If you are looking for something small and cozy (however, these two hotels are not as centrally located, but still convenient):

Hotel Tiefenau****
www.tiefenau.ch

Romantikhotel Florhof***
www.romantikhotels.com/zuerich

Hotel Seegarten***
www.hotel-seegarten.ch

Check on the web pages, whether they have A/C. You might want it in August.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:19 PM
just curious

I'm just wondering why the answer posted above (by Ursala) appears to be answering a question posted BY Ursala?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:46 PM
Ursula

C. Thomas seems to be a newbie here and filled in my name instead of his. Just my guess. Never mind.
But where is C. Thomas, anyway?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:30 AM
yodel

If you've got cash to burn, try the Hotel Widder - it's a very trendy place in one of Europe's trendiest cities...

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:44 AM
.C .THOMAS

Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie. I am from Chattanooga, Tennessee,U.S.A. I am a female traveling alone to Zurich,so this is a big deal to me. Thank You for information. If there are other travel tips they will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Judi

Hi Ms. Thomas,

When I travel alone I am more comfortable in a small pension than a large hotel. I will be staying at the Pension St.Josef when I am in Zurich this fall. It gets good reviews and is very reasonable. Look at: http://www.st-josef.ch/english/english.html

Enjoy your first trip to Europe!