Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Translate one phrase into French, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/translate-one-phrase-into-french-please-733820/)

phillymazes Sep 3rd, 2007 01:00 PM

Translate one phrase into French, please

Try as I might, all the translation guides deal with "photograph" or "photo" as a noun - not a verb.

Can someone please give me the phrases for "May I take your picture, please?" and "just for me." (The latter so that I can avoid the subject thinking I'd be making money off his image on the Internet or Natl. Geographic...)

Merci!

cocofromdijon Sep 3rd, 2007 01:03 PM

Puis-je prendre votre photo?
Or Puis-je vous photographier?
Or Puis-je prendre une photo de vous?

Un photographe is a photographer. :-)

cocofromdijon Sep 3rd, 2007 01:08 PM

"just for me"
pour moi seulement
pour mon album photo personnel.

sorry I read too fast, I forgot this part!

easywalker Sep 3rd, 2007 06:45 PM

I think the correct usage is 'faire une photo(graphe)'. As in 'Permettez que je fais votre photo(graphe)'.

Christina Sep 3rd, 2007 07:26 PM

no, it's prendre

AnthonyGA Sep 3rd, 2007 08:35 PM

<i>Puis-je prendre votre photo, s'il vous pla&icirc;t. C'est juste pour mon usage personnel.</i>

<i>Prendre</i> (&quot;take&quot;) is indeed the correct verb to use.

cocofromdijon Sep 3rd, 2007 10:38 PM

Anthony, you're right to add &quot;s'il vous plait&quot; I simply answered the question.

Easywalker, as I wrote a &quot;photographe&quot; is a photographer in French.

Faire is not incorrect, you can say &quot;puis- je faire une photo de vous, s'il vous plait?&quot; or &quot;permettez que je fasse....&quot;

Carlux Sep 3rd, 2007 10:48 PM

Thank you for the clarification coco - I was taught to say 'faire' but I notice that all my French friends now say 'prendre'

But I'm still getting used to them saying 'podcaster' as well.

ira Sep 4th, 2007 04:58 AM

&gt;I was taught to say 'faire' but I notice that all my French friends now say 'prendre'.&lt;

Dang furriners.

How's a person supposed to try to get along if they keep changing the language?

((I))

ira Sep 4th, 2007 04:59 AM

Hi P,

I have found that if I point to my camera, aim it and say &quot;svp?&quot;, that I get along swimmingly.

((I))

kerouac Sep 4th, 2007 05:01 AM

The more spontaneous way to ask is to say:
&quot;Je peux prendre votre photo?&quot;

Puis-je is somewhat stilted and formal; you would use that to ask a visiting duchess.

cocofromdijon Sep 4th, 2007 05:17 AM

Yes Kerouac but &quot;puis-je&quot; sounds so cute in an English speaker's mouth ;-)

I supposed everybody learnt to put the verb at the front in an interrogative sentence, this is why I used it this way. :-)

hanl Sep 4th, 2007 05:40 AM

Yet another possibility, somewhere between &quot;puis-je...?&quot; and &quot;je peux...?&quot; in terms of formality, is &quot;Est-ce que je peux prendre votre photo?&quot;

Though if it were me, I'd say &quot;Ca (or cela) vous d&eacute;range si je vous prends en photo?&quot; - do you mind if I take your picture?

cocofromdijon Sep 4th, 2007 06:02 AM

Well done hanl :-)
Now, since they're all correct, you will have to choose the one you can say better...

kerouac Sep 4th, 2007 06:50 AM

Yes, usually you will find that one phrase will flow out of your mouth better than the others. The others will become easier with a little wine.

AnthonyGA Sep 4th, 2007 08:23 AM

If you feel compelled to avoid the inversion, <i>Est-ce que je peux prendre &hellip;</i> is a good compromise.

<i>Faire une photo</i> sounds a bit like you're digitally composing something from thin air or from fragments of existing photos. <i>Prendre</i> is much more common, and you can speak of <i>prise de vue</i> if you wish to use the professional terms of art.