Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Teenagers who want to venture alone in Munich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/teenagers-who-want-to-venture-alone-in-munich-465776/)

Caro Aug 9th, 2004 08:09 AM

Teenagers who want to venture alone in Munich

We have 2 teens (girl 16 and boy 15) who would like to venture alone when we are in Munich for a few hours during our stay Aug.23-27. It is our 1st trip to Germany and I guess I will see how safe I feel it is when I get there but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

mikemo Aug 9th, 2004 08:17 AM

Lots of very interesting stuff there for the youngsters and mostly very safe:
like any large city, drugs, alcohol, and sex may be temptations.
There are tons of posts here re: Munchen.
M

m_kingdom2 Aug 9th, 2004 08:29 AM

My dear, I'm sure it'll be perfectly safe, children wander free all the time in London, they're more than old enough to go on holiday alone, so a few hours shouldn't do any damage.

As for "drugs, alcohol, and sex may be temptations" in a few hours my dear I doubt it. Have some faith in the next generation please.

Wayne Aug 9th, 2004 09:26 AM

Your kids will be fine. Munich is one of the safest cities I've ever visited. They'd enjoy stopping at a neighborhood cafe for lunch -- not one of those right in the central tourist area, but one that is more like something back home. Just give them their freedom to wander and enjoy.

Caro Aug 9th, 2004 09:32 AM

Thanks for your feedback! I think you are right and we should let them experience some adventure. It is nice to hear that is reasonably safe.

walkinaround Aug 9th, 2004 09:40 AM

i've lived in munich for 9 months and can tell you that it is probably the best large city in europe to let your kids loose. you need not worry. the whole center of the city is one long pedestrian walkway with all the shops, etc. i wouldn't even bother trying to plan activities during their free time as i'm sure they will just enjoy walking about.

travelerone Aug 9th, 2004 12:02 PM

We recently stayed in a small hotel not too far from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and the owner assured us that Munich was a very safe city. In fact he commented, jokingly, that locals say "every third person here is likely a policeman!"
We felt totally safe walking downtown at night & while using the Munich subway system.

WillTravel Aug 9th, 2004 12:04 PM

Are they going to be spending their time together, or venturing out separately? Either way, I don't think there would be a problem, based on my son's recent experience in Berlin.

m_kingdom2 Aug 9th, 2004 12:06 PM

At the age of 16 you should be able to trust your children to go out in London's Soho to a nightclub or bar, I'm sure your children would agree with me. One should get on the scene early in life.

USNR Aug 9th, 2004 03:39 PM

We call it "twig-bending" -- if your kids aren't to be trusted on their own at ages 15 and 16, you have a problem and you created it.

Just make sure they have the address and telephone number of the place where you are staying IN WRITING and in their pockets. That way, if there is a problem or an accident, they can phone or come home more easily.

We took our kids to Europe 'way back when, they had a marvelous time as they chose, and I only wish our grandchild will some day have the same interests and deportment.

Have faith -- your boy and girl will be just fine!