Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Screener sleeping on the job! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/screener-sleeping-on-the-job-162487/)

Concerned Feb 19th, 2002 09:20 AM

Screener sleeping on the job!

No lie...<BR><BR>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,45949,00.html

Anon Feb 19th, 2002 09:48 AM

Makes me feel sick to my stomach.., if I was sleeping on the job I would be fired in a NY minute.<BR><BR>I hope the person was fired.

Concerned Feb 19th, 2002 10:46 AM

No one else has a probem with this???

anon also Feb 19th, 2002 10:54 AM

The work I am ignoring here while I monitor this forum 4 or 5 times a day at "work" is much more important than the pointless "screening" of airplane passengers.<BR><BR>My boss would have a much smaller productivity loss if I just went and took a nap for an hour, and didn't spend all this time here on Fodors.<BR><BR>Let those of us who are without sin cast the first stone at this poor screener.<BR><BR>Besides, they're government employees now. There will be no reprecussions, except maybe assign more of them to the job per shift.<BR><BR>At the taxpayers' expense.<BR>

Don Feb 19th, 2002 10:56 AM

I'd like to advance a few theories as to how this atrocity could have happened.<BR><BR>First: The "Manager Put Me on Consecutive Shifts and We Had Lots of Late Landings 'til the Wee Hours the Night Before" theory. <BR><BR>Second, the "Narcolepsy and the Americans With Disabilities Act." Maybe it's a medical condition. Hmm, does Tom Ridge's infamous beauracratic chart have authority over ADA administration?<BR><BR>Third, and my personal favourite: The "Terrorist Slipped a Mickey into the Baggage Screeners Coffee Pot theory." I mean who would ever know if it was decaf?

x Feb 19th, 2002 11:07 AM

You might note that this was at Louisville. One of the airports that hasn't been taken over by the Federal Government, yet.<BR><BR>My question is, why didn't a passengar notify a supervisor? For security measures to work the public has to participate in the process.<BR><BR>If you're flying and you see a security guard sleeping - tell someone. You're the one on the plane!

xxx Feb 19th, 2002 11:34 AM

"If you're flying and you see a security guard sleeping - tell someone."<BR><BR>Surely you jest! Just discreetly awake the snoozing screener and proceed on --<BR><BR>After all, we are the ones stuck in those lines and delayed because managment feels the need to grab headlines by clearing a terminal.

x Feb 19th, 2002 11:54 AM

"After all, we are the ones stuck in those lines and delayed because managment feels the need to grab headlines by clearing a terminal."<BR><BR>Grab headlines! This isn't about headlines, it is about stopping bad guys and protecting the flying public. <BR><BR>A security person DOES their job when they DON'T make headlines. Clearing the the terminal means they DIDN'T do their job. <BR><BR>Get real and recognize that we are at war.

x Feb 19th, 2002 03:48 PM

He was not working for the federal government.He was emplyed by a security company-and a National Guardsman found him asleep and woke him,reported him,and they had to bring all thosepeople back for re-screening. Just another example of overworking underpaying people not up to the job.

lucy Feb 19th, 2002 04:01 PM

Not that it is an equal comparison, but I recently visited the one of the Smithsonian Institutes and saw a gaurd on duty sleeping by the front door. That is our tax dollars at work!

ryan Feb 19th, 2002 04:09 PM

Lucy,<BR>Only 62% of his sleep was subsidized by the Federal Government. Fundraising activities covered the other 38% of his time.<BR>

xxxxxxxxx Feb 19th, 2002 04:22 PM

I might question the reliability of the reporting source -- this is, after all, the network bringing us 'The Glutton Bowl.'

dan Feb 19th, 2002 05:03 PM

This could happen to anyone who has no sense of value to thier job. Fire them and hire (pay) people who care.

safe Feb 19th, 2002 05:13 PM

The Feds have it now boys and girls. Isn't that great?<BR><BR>Why is it I don't feel safer?